Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,306 Posts
Skidstrong?

Skidstrong?

It'd be a lot easier for me personally to get behind them if they'd change the spelling of their name. Change the "t" to a "w" and I'm there. As it stands now, their name generates an image that most of us are trying to battle rather than embrace. I hate to see such an image generated anytime; it's especially sad when the image begins within the ranks of the cycling industry itself.

Disclaimer: This is nothing but a personal rant. I'm not trying to be divisive here or start some heavy political discourse. I'm sure Skidstrong will produce a great product. I just wish its name were something else. Almost ANYthing else.

Save the trails.

:(

--Sparty

roadiegonebad said:
They already have a trackie road fixed frame and other fun bits (wool jersey, coffee, bag, etc.). "COMING SOON: the SKIDSTRONG singlespeed/fixed MTB, in 26" or 29er. Details forthcoming."

http://www.gaansari.com/skidstrong/what.htm

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Uh, you're missing the point.

Skidstrong was set up to benefit the International Bicycle Messenger Association, and as such, their first product, the Trackie, is an urban fixed gear/singlespeed aimed at messengers and hipsters that want to look like messengers. Being able to skid a track bike is some kind of benchmark with these kids. I don't think Skidstrong is/was attempting to promote reckless trail riding. But all of this is a moot point, as none other than Lance Armstrong has sent them a cease-and-desist order. Their new name is "Fisso," Italian for "fixed."

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,306 Posts
No I'm not missing the point

I don't think Skidstrong is/was attempting to promote reckless trail riding either.

That's not the point.

The point is the world at large may not have a clue who or what Skidstrong is. The world at large, whether cyclist or non, forms its opinion based upon nothing but what little it knows. From there it jumps to assumptions based on whatever it wants to believe. Assuming nothing is known about the history or significance of Skidstrong as a company then the name "Skidstrong" speaks for itself. What its one-word moniker implies isn't positive to non-cyclists who use trails (or cyclists who use trails either, for that matter).

That's what I did, and I'm even on their side.

There's the point.

--Sparty

Hurl said:
Skidstrong was set up to benefit the International Bicycle Messenger Association, and as such, their first product, the Trackie, is an urban fixed gear/singlespeed aimed at messengers and hipsters that want to look like messengers. Being able to skid a track bike is some kind of benchmark with these kids. I don't think Skidstrong is/was attempting to promote reckless trail riding. But all of this is a moot point, as none other than Lance Armstrong has sent them a cease-and-desist order. Their new name is "Fisso," Italian for "fixed."

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Fair play

and let it be known I wasn't slamming you, Sparty. However, I feel that a 'niche' brand like this would be unlikely to garner much attention with non-cyclists, let alone cyclists who aren't in the market for a "messenger" style bike. (And for what it's worth, I don't really care for the name, either. Not because of any negative connotations, but rather I thought it somewhat cheesy when I first heard the name.) But, again, no bother, since "Fisso" it now is.

BTW, did you hear the one about how QBP declined carrying Cove frames because of their frame names? (Stiffy, G-spot, etc.) and the potential for offending dealers? True story.

cheers,
-Hurl

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,306 Posts
Didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me much. A wise man once told me that if I valued friendship, then subjects to avoid in conversation with friends included religion, sex and politics as these three subjects alone had ended more friendships than all other subjects combined.

I guess Cove disregarded that advice when it picked what some might consider risque names for its sleds.

Whatever. Everybody has their own particular buttons that others occasionally push, whether inadveretently or by design. Funny, but sexy/sexist/gender-based names generally don't bother me (well, up to a point but usually I love the word play). Obviously some folks (even some companies) get their hair up about that kind of thing considering the instance you cited.

No problem on the slam thing. Cheers back atcha, Hurl. :cool:

--Sparty

Hurl said:
and let it be known I wasn't slamming you, Sparty. However, I feel that a 'niche' brand like this would be unlikely to garner much attention with non-cyclists, let alone cyclists who aren't in the market for a "messenger" style bike. (And for what it's worth, I don't really care for the name, either. Not because of any negative connotations, but rather I thought it somewhat cheesy when I first heard the name.) But, again, no bother, since "Fisso" it now is.

BTW, did you hear the one about how QBP declined carrying Cove frames because of their frame names? (Stiffy, G-spot, etc.) and the potential for offending dealers? True story.

cheers,
-Hurl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.