Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
One of the dumbest things they specc'd. Seriously - a bike like this - ONE manual lockout model aside from the live valve ones would have been fine. Most of us don't need all that extra garbage hanging from the bars.

And while we're complaining about it - get those 2.2 ardent race tires off of there.

Seriously, the frame looks dreamy. But holy **** are there some swings and misses on the build spec. At the VERY least, offer the frame only without the lockout shock as an option. That doesn't appear to be the case. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Checks many of the boxes but only way to not clutter your bars with extra levers is the pay up for Live Valve or spec down for the lower end complete? I always throught the DW design didn't need a lock out to be efficient? Pretty much every quality dropper lever is going to sit right in the spot the FOX remote lockout lever is going to be sitting.........ugh

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yeti SB100 called and wants its geometry and XO1 build spec back...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pivot called them back and said ok as long as Yeti keeps their over-engineered creaky/flexy rear end to themselves...

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
My wife and I got ours last Wednesday and already had a chance to both race them and get some decent trail time on them. We're stoked!

I was up until about 2:30am that night building them up! The following two days I rode with the media Pivot gathered for their launch, which happened to be in my backyard (Fruita). We did about twenty miles on Thursday and Friday and I raced the Grand Junction Off-road 30-miler on Saturday morning. I managed to snag 5th in Open at that race despite having VERY tired legs (I'd also raced the Desert Rats 100k the previous weekend on my Les). I feel super comfortable on the bike already and will be toeing the line again this weekend at the Gunnison Growler.

I was skeptical of the lockout at first (ours have the DPS with push-to-unlock) but I gotta say, now I'm digging it. For sure, it's not entirely needed, but it's very useful for racing. It also seems like it's allowed them to go very plush on the shock tune in the open position, it handles technical descents much better than the previous model.

Happy to answer any questions y'all have! I haven't weighed it, I haven't even looked at the geometry TBH. I'm 6'1" and on an XL with a 60mm stem. 120mm MRP Ribbon SL fork. Enve and XTR 12spd.

IMG_1944.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
When not opting for the Fox Live. Will it be possible to have the rear shock inverted? I hate to have it upside down.

·
Paterfamilias
703 Posts
When not opting for the Fox Live. Will it be possible to have the rear shock inverted? I hate to have it upside down.
FYI. There is no right side up or down with sealed suspension units like the FOX DPS. Aesthetically I know what you mean, it looks upside down. But function wise, the shock doesn’t care what direction it is in.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

haha I thought that was kinda harsh maybe but glad you took it well! I love Pivot AND Yeti, great for them to push each other. I might like Ibis best, though. ;) This new Mach 4 is calling my name but I'm afraid I fall right in between their sizes now, so...

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
Noah, any pics of your set up with the DPS set up with your bar-lever area?
I'm using a KS Lev and happened to have one of the OG vertical levers. Works well for this application. On my wife's build I installed the shock remote above the bar on the right side (no pics of that on hand).

IMG_2050.jpg
IMG_2052.jpg

Bike pic:
Noah_M4SL_Fruita.Launch_web.jpg

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
So who's going to be the first to add a Fox 36, some DHF's, and Down Country this thing?:ciappa:
No 36, but mine has the 35mm-stanchioned MRP Ribbon SL and a Maxxis DHR in the front (Rekon rear). :)

I'll probably downcountry it even further after these next two XC races...

The only KOMs I've gotten with it so far are downhill segments. :)

·
I am Walt
6,272 Posts
haha I thought that was kinda harsh maybe but glad you took it well! I love Pivot AND Yeti, great for them to push each other. I might like Ibis best, though. ;) This new Mach 4 is calling my name but I'm afraid I fall right in between their sizes now, so...
It's all good! I love Pivot, and have two LES' (one geared; one SS, which I utterly love), and am definitely interested in this bike, but I've got an SB100 coming, and I can't get the same deals on Pivots that I can on certain other brands, making Pivot too pricey for me...at least for a new bike.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Walt, something similar happened to me last year. After much thought planning and testing I dropped money on a New Epic. Not 2 days later Santa Cruz launched the new Blur. Damn if it did not tick off all my boxes I was looking for, but too late. Already the Epic was on the way. So just said f-it. I am going to stay with the Epic and not even think about Blur. Is it better than my Epic? Don't know and don't care. :)

I would do the same with the SB100. Is the Mach 4 better? Who cares? Your SB100 will still be as good now as when you choose to buy it. :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Looks sick! Thanks for the pics. Just got the sweet new shimano dropper lever for my 429 SL all set up. To bad it won't work with the Fox remote.....I'm also not sure how it would all configure with the 9100 brake levers.....How does the shock tune compare to the 429 SL?

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
No 36, but mine has the 35mm-stanchioned MRP Ribbon SL and a Maxxis DHR in the front (Rekon rear). :)

I'll probably downcountry it even further after these next two XC races...

The only KOMs I've gotten with it so far are downhill segments. :)
It’s pretty awesome where these short travel bikes are going. One bike with say two sets of wheels will cover a lot of different terrain and riding styles. Good to also see that Pivot didn’t jump the shark with their geometry either.

·
I am Walt
6,272 Posts
Walt, something similar happened to me last year. After much thought planning and testing I dropped money on a New Epic. Not 2 days later Santa Cruz launched the new Blur. Damn if it did not tick off all my boxes I was looking for, but too late. Already the Epic was on the way. So just said f-it. I am going to stay with the Epic and not even think about Blur. Is it better than my Epic? Don't know and don't care. :)

I would do the same with the SB100. Is the Mach 4 better? Who cares? Your SB100 will still be as good now as when you choose to buy it. :)
Similar, but even if I hadn’t pulled the trigger on the Yeti, I wouldn’t be in a position to afford the same level build, with carbon/I9 wheels, on the Mach 4 because I can’t get the same/any discount on the Pivot, nor a good trade-in value on my Primer. So the math just wouldn’t work out regardless of how I felt about the Mach 4. Not to mention some nits with the Mach 4, like the remotes on both front and rear suspension (which is one of the reasons I didn’t get the Blur).

All in all, I’m thrilled with the SB100, and am not looking back...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,793 Posts
Especially for a dw-link bike, not really necessary IMO.
No.

At the highest levels of racing, absolutely necessary.

41 - 60 of 467 Posts