Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 498 Posts

·
Handmade in Switzerland
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it seems Pivot has developed a new cross country bike. Product presentation should be on 05/23. The bike should be quite revolutionary. What do you think?

Nature Tree Woody plant Forest Wilderness

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,178 Posts
Evolutionary, I'd be surprised if there's anything revolutionary. I mean, it's going to have two wheels, right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad to hear of a new release of an XC bike. I'm sure they brought the design forward to be competitive. This is coming from someone who has 50+ races on the original green 429 carbon bike at just over 24lbs. It's been the most reliable bike I've owned.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Very excited about this. I’ve been waiting for a new DW link XC bike for quite a while. I hope this checks the other boxes for me (mainly something that has less than a 75deg sta...). Looks like the design will be more visually appealing than the ugly bike it’s going to replace. One thing that stands out to me is it look like it has a pretty long seat tube.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,178 Posts
Like no frame only option which makes it a zero to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Why do you think this? Pivot sells frame/crank sets, until recently they didn't sell the super-boost this way, but now they do. All of their stuff is available this way. Why would it be any different for this?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Why do you think this? Pivot sells frame/crank sets, until recently they didn't sell the super-boost this way, but now they do. All of their stuff is available this way. Why would it be any different for this?
I didn't know they have been selling frame only. That is good news.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
saw the video last week. 68.5 HT angle with 100mm fork , 74 ST , boost spacing, 29er only, high modulus carbon fiber frame, can get with a dropper and 120mm fork if desired. Also , same reach as the trail 429 and higher end models have fox live valve

·
Handmade in Switzerland
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because only the Worldcup edition kits of the new bike come with 100mm Fix 32 step cast forks and all the rest of the build kits with 120mm Fox 34 step-cast I meant that the geometry numbers mentioned in the video is for the 120mm version. Just my guess...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Because only the Worldcup edition kits of the new bike come with 100mm Fix 32 step cast forks and all the rest of the build kits with 120mm Fox 34 step-cast I meant that the geometry numbers mentioned in the video is for the 120mm version. Just my guess...
I didn't catch that part, I though the 68.5 HT was with 100mm fork. Either way it will be a bada$$ bike

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,178 Posts
Again 74 ST?
What? That's a bit steeper, but it's also a short travel bike, so it doesn't need something like the ripmo, which is steeper to make it pedal like the shorter travel bikes-geometry uphill.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,153 Posts
What? That's a bit steeper, but it's also a short travel bike, so it doesn't need something like the ripmo, which is steeper to make it pedal like the shorter travel bikes-geometry uphill.
Apparently some people don't understand the difference between a 150mm bike at 35% sag and a 100mm bike at 20%.

A 74 degree STA on a 100mm bike is probably steeper than a 76 or 77 degree STA on a big bike, on the same grade. People need need to stop advocating for a universal change like this. Particularly when it makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Apparently some people don't understand the difference between a 150mm bike at 35% sag and a 100mm bike at 20%.

A 74 degree STA on a 100mm bike is probably steeper than a 76 or 77 degree STA on a big bike, on the same grade. People need need to stop advocating for a universal change like this. Particularly when it makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is not just about a single number like seat tube angle though. ST steepening is happening in conjunction with extending the reach. It is for a more rider forward/centered position. So it needs to be a universal change if we are also moving the front of the bike out. I also wouldn't necessarily agree that a XC 100 millimeter bike should aim to be what a modern big bike is in climbing position which you suggest. I would like it in a More aggressive climbing position. Big bikes are just getting to a tolerable/comfortable place with a 76º/77º. I have 74º on my Hardtail and would be happy with 75º, but again it is a balancing act with reach, stem length etc.

1 - 20 of 498 Posts