Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Pike Ultimate, 150mm travel that I have been riding for about a month now and have found that no matter how I adjust it through damping or air pressure I find it to be harsh in the middle of the travel.
I have it set with minimal LSC and zero HSC @78psi. I'm about 180lbs geared up.
Anyone else experience this with a new Pike?
I know there is plenty of discussions but I wanted to narrow it down to the new Pike Ultimate.

So I'm looking for something to help in that regard. Something from Push? (HC97)?or Vorsprung? or Convert to coil?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I've noticed this on my 130mm 2018 Pike after removing a volume spacer and upping the pressure a few psi. It felt almost too linear. If you're under 25% sag now, I'd try adding a spacer and letting out a few psi.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Most likely slightly tight bushings, so the first thing I would do is have them resized plus you would be greasing the seals and refill foam rings.

Maybe also try less pressure and more HSC, what kind of trails do you ride?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I'd definitely add one or two.
Yeah, it sounds like you are most likely ridding too deep into the travel and hence the harsh feel when hitting repeated bumps. Reducing the size of the air spring could give better mid-stroke and improve feel.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I can confirm your findings.

I have an older Pike but with a 2019 debonair spring and an RC2 2.1 cartridge, so internally the same.

I feel that on single big impacts it's pretty good, but when going through multiple high speed hits there's a noticeable jackhammer effect. I've swapped my original RC1 cartridge back in a few times and although there is an initial high speed spike it's smoother on the hi speed hits. I think that the the hi speed rebound might be too fast. Comparing the two in the garage the RC2 2.1 seems like it rebounds way faster, it almost pogo's off the ground when compressed 1/3 way or so, past the low speed rebound velocity.

On another note, this is my second RC2 2.1. The first one broke in the first 10 minutes of downhill use, the service centre (Norco) rebuilt it, but when I complained about the rebound to the shop, and showed them, I eventually got a new one. There doesn't seem to be much difference with the first and second one.

I'd like to know if there was a manufacturing or assembly line problem. It really does not feel like an upgrade.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
The trails I ride are in the northeast. Very rocky and rooty.

It is not a RCT3.
So it's an RC2?

The RC2 Lyrik Charger 2.1 is softer than all previous. For your weight I'd be fixing the mid-valve and adding base-valve compression damping.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Plop the psi down 2 psi at a time with 1 volume spacer and report back. Might be your ticket for the low low cost of $10, if you can't find one for free at your shop.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Plop the psi down 2 psi at a time with 1 volume spacer and report back. Might be your ticket for the low low cost of $10, if you can't find one for free at your shop.
Adding volume spacers reduces usable midstroke and makes harshness worse. This is not the solution.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,801 Posts
The title makes it sound like it has the ultimate mid-stroke harshness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.