Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
Joined
·
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently learned that a Performance Bike shop will be opening up in Scottsdale at the 101 & Raintree. Does anybody know when the shop will be open for business?

Right now the Supa'Ho in Chandler is my only saving grace if I am in dire need for a part and don't want to wait for another LBS to order it in. But the drive to Chandler from Paradise Valley really sucks - must cost me at least $5 in gas r/t!

BTW - I really hope the staff that they hire for the Performance shop is more knowledgeable than the goons at Supa'Ho. Shopping there feels like shopping at a Target. Even the folks at REI know more about bikes...

Thx...Doug
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,131 Posts
dgangi said:
BTW - I really hope the staff that they hire for the Performance shop is more knowledgeable than the goons at Supa'Ho. Shopping there feels like shopping at a Target. Even the folks at REI know more about bikes...

Thx...Doug
as someone who is now working, i can say that it's pretty darn hard to keep the bike shop from being like a wall-mart or targe when all the friggin bikes we work on are from target and wall-mart! God I hate those bikes (after 3 whole days of working :D )
 

·
Beyond the stars
Joined
·
745 Posts
Hey, at least you got a job . . .

I wish I had one, sure beats sitting around in your underwear flaming folks about spokes and stuff? (it's a joke, lighten up)

When I looked in the phone book, Performance listed it's address as the same as the "Landis" shop at Scottsdale Rd. and Cactus, so it is my assumption that Performance "ate up" one of Landis Cyclery's shops and will take over with inventory and space, and I'm guessing employees? But I don't know if any of this is true, someone should stop in and ask.

Performance is focusing it's three "brand segments" from what I can tell like this:

SuperGo: Mt. Bikes, Road bikes, mid-level and higher end products and less "TOY" bike stuff.

Performance: More Road bike parts and gear, but a few mid-level Mt. bike stuff and some "entry level" bikes.

Nashbar: road and closeout stuff that they can't seem to get rid of, low end stuff.

Anybody get this impression? This comes from looking at the catalogs and purchasing products from StupidGo and "lack of" Performance over the past 6 to 9 months. Customer service is GONE, if you want something, and they don't have, or you would like a price match, well, let's just say "Foget about it"

I have noticed that REI has "beefed up its inventory of park tools" and some of the wrenches there SEEM to know what they are talking about, but it could just be an acid-induced tie-dyed hippie flashback, who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
funny this topic comes up. i mentioned in a post over a month ago seeing 3 Performance bike shops listed in the yellow pages in place of 3 Landis shops. so, could it be there will be 3 Performance shops? i guess i am just the dumb blonde female, eh?

Rita
p.s. DJ, i have noticed what you mentioned about Supergo, Performance, and Nashbar.
 

·
Fragile - must be Italian
Joined
·
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what I heard...

AZtortoise said:
funny this topic comes up. i mentioned in a post over a month ago seeing 3 Performance bike shops listed in the yellow pages in place of 3 Landis shops. so, could it be there will be 3 Performance shops? i guess i am just the dumb blonde female, eh?

Rita
p.s. DJ, i have noticed what you mentioned about Supergo, Performance, and Nashbar.
Another LBS owner told me that Performance *tried* to buy out Landis but the sale (or takeover) didn't go through. So Performance is building their own shops here now, starting with the one in Scottsdale.

Again, this is all information I have gathered second-hand, so it might not be 100% accurate.

Landis is one of the oldest bike shops in the Valley and I'd hate to see them taken over by Performance. I've had my own issues with Landis over the years, but they do a lot for the local biking community and it would be a shame to see them go.

Thx...Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I agree

I lived in Tempe on two seperate occasions and I would hate to see the local shops get bought up like that. I refused to go to Supergo when it first opened just on principle. If you're in Paradise Valley try Rage Cycles. I've always had great service from them.
 

·
Fragile - must be Italian
Joined
·
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nashperformago

DJBiker said:
Performance is focusing it's three "brand segments" from what I can tell like this:

SuperGo: Mt. Bikes, Road bikes, mid-level and higher end products and less "TOY" bike stuff.

Performance: More Road bike parts and gear, but a few mid-level Mt. bike stuff and some "entry level" bikes.

Nashbar: road and closeout stuff that they can't seem to get rid of, low end stuff.

Anybody get this impression? This comes from looking at the catalogs and purchasing products from StupidGo and "lack of" Performance over the past 6 to 9 months. Customer service is GONE, if you want something, and they don't have, or you would like a price match, well, let's just say "Foget about it"

I have noticed that REI has "beefed up its inventory of park tools" and some of the wrenches there SEEM to know what they are talking about, but it could just be an acid-induced tie-dyed hippie flashback, who knows.
I have no clue what the "differentiation" between the brands are. I've had various people tell me that Performance is attempting to distinguish the 3 brands with different target markets, but from a consumer perspective (mine) they all blend together.

Both Performance and Nashbar offer a lot of sale items. Supergo seems to be the most expensive (many products at MSRP). Supergo does have the most bikes in their catalog - road or mountain - but Performance is now a big Giant dealer, so that may change. All 3 brands have their own "house brand" that are damn similar, so my guess is they are simply OEM'ing the same products and sticking different labels on them (FWIW - the only Nashperformago house brands I can tolerate are Nashbar's own signature N or Performance Forte - Supergo Scattante and Weyless are the lamest names on the planet).

The REI in Paradise Valley has some good bike people. I shop there for most of my other outdoor equipment, and occasionally I wander over to the bike area to see what they have. I've been pleasantly surprised that the people there actually ride bikes!

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Thx...Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
The sign is up at the North Scottsdale Store right next to the new Golds Gym, but the inside isn't even finished (insulation and concrete right now). There is a help wanted sign on the door also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
building it near the same location as Landis? How uncool is that. I've never been a huge Landis fan--I always felt like they were talking down to me, probably because they know a hell of a lot more about bikes that I do :)--but I'd rather shop there instead of some Wal-Mart-type warehouse.

I like the fact that Landis and Bike Showcase can survive in the same shopping center. But if Performance moves in, you can say bye-bye to at least one.

BTW, somebody also told me Supergo is planning on opening a shop in NW Phx. Anybody else hear this rumor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
101 and Raintree is 4.5mi northeast of Landis/Showcase

skinny-tire said:
building it near the same location as Landis? How uncool is that. I've never been a huge Landis fan--I always felt like they were talking down to me, probably because they know a hell of a lot more about bikes that I do :)--but I'd rather shop there instead of some Wal-Mart-type warehouse.

I like the fact that Landis and Bike Showcase can survive in the same shopping center. But if Performance moves in, you can say bye-bye to at least one.

BTW, somebody also told me Supergo is planning on opening a shop in NW Phx. Anybody else hear this rumor?
That's almost to Pima and Frank Lloyd Wright, so its is more like being parked out Bicycle Ranch's back door.
 

·
MTBR Tool
Joined
·
831 Posts
Who let the dark side in ;-) ?

Much as I like to buy my meat at a butcher and my bread at a bakery I must confess that for my bicycles I like shopping in the supermarkets. It's unfortunate that both of these are owned by the same company. Nonetheless it should give us all an opportunity to enjoy sale prices 12 monhts of the year and with luck we should be able to redeem the plethora of 20% coupons that are out there for Performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Doug, can you afford that 2 cents. I've seen your bike, and with no job and all, I think you better put those two pennies back in the piggy bank.

I was actually in Supergo this weekend (needed to make a big purchase, and wasn't willing to foot the extra $$ at the LBS), and noticed they had Kestral, Biahchi, and even Litespeeds on the rack. I've never been in a Nashbar or Performance, but for the range of bikes, that's a pretty good selection (they also sell Specialized, and Felt [which I never heard of, but the sales guy told me they are a solid bike, and the team bike of the former Team Saturn], and I think Giant (I could be wrong).
 

·
Fragile - must be Italian
Joined
·
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More of my pocket change...

skinny-tire said:
Doug, can you afford that 2 cents. I've seen your bike, and with no job and all, I think you better put those two pennies back in the piggy bank.

I was actually in Supergo this weekend (needed to make a big purchase, and wasn't willing to foot the extra $$ at the LBS), and noticed they had Kestral, Biahchi, and even Litespeeds on the rack. I've never been in a Nashbar or Performance, but for the range of bikes, that's a pretty good selection (they also sell Specialized, and Felt [which I never heard of, but the sales guy told me they are a solid bike, and the team bike of the former Team Saturn], and I think Giant (I could be wrong).
Actually I think you've got the wrong Doug. I have a high-zoot job and some pretty nice bikes. But I can still slum it with the best of them.... :)

Regardless, Supa'Ho does sell some quality bikes - Specialized, Cannondale, Iron Horse - I didn't know they sold Felt (which IS a good road bike) or Litespeed. But if you shop at the 'Ho, you have to make damn sure you know EXACTLY what you want before you buy it. Pardon the expression, but taking advise from the knuckleheads at the 'Ho is like taking advice from a priest on how to have sex...they may have head knowledge, but they've never done it before. The times I have been in the 'Ho have astounded me -- listening to the boneheads tell a customer why one full suspension design is better than the other...or why certain disk brakes are better than others. It's CLEAR they have never ridden the bikes they are selling. Some times it is almost laughable. On a few occasions I took pity on the customer and gave them my perspective after the idiot sales person walked away.

Performance is a large Giant dealer. They also sell Fuji and Iron Horse, so they will be targeting the "value" shopper. I just hope they hire a staff who knows what they are talking about.

What has me a little confused is why a Performance shop is being built smack in the middle of snooty North Scottsdale. It doesn't seem to fit. Performance doesn't sell the brands that a Mercedes-driving Scottsdale resident is going to want to buy. Maybe they'll carry the high end Giant bikes (which are popular with the poseurs now). Or maybe they did their homework and the clientele in the area WILL want what Performance sells. I dunno - I'm not a marketing guy.

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see what happens when they move in. Bicycle Ranch and Airpark Bikes are both within a few miles of that shop and they'll surely lose some business.

Thx...Doug
 

·
Ouch, I am hot!
Joined
·
4,765 Posts
I am not sure if Superperformbar stores are a good or bad thing, but I have no problem with them. First, I don't let them or REI do any meaningful work on my bike. Second, I buy there when convenient, but also support my LBS. Generally, when I know my LBS has something in stock or when I don't care about waiting for an order, I go to the LBS. At one point I would ask for and usually get a discount too. Now, I get one without even asking most of the time. On a few occasisions, I will go to the supermarket store in Chandler. Why? Much more selection on certain items, instant gratification. I also enjoy perusing at the big store. So, I have no real complaints about these stores, except that I do not want to see my LBS go away.
 

·
Beyond the stars
Joined
·
745 Posts
umm, whatch you talking bout' willis . . .

skinny-tire said:
Doug, can you afford that 2 cents. I've seen your bike, and with no job and all, I think you better put those two pennies back in the piggy bank.
Jeff, I'm just guessing you are talking about me, 'cause I would think the "other" Doug has a job. "I" never "put my 2 cents in" however, I always blurt out my opinions, so maybe you are not talking about me? but who knows because there are two Dougs' posting on this thread right now.

If you are talking about me, well I wouldn't go there! I've seen your debates on the current economic situations on the Socio-Political board, and if your job is so great (sitting at home surfing MTBR while your girl friend thinks you are working) why are you considering entering the food service industry?

If you are not talking about me, "in best Rosean Rosannadanna voice" Never Mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
Yep, wrong Doug. Sorry :)

N. Scottsdale seems to be a pretty popular place with the roadies. As I think somebody else said, Performanace caters more to roadies. From what I know of Bike Ranch and Airpark bikes (and is Valley Cyclery still there too?), they are more mt bike. Maybe the 4 can live together...but maybe not. (Personally, I've never been a fan of Bike Ranch myself. Maybe it's the matching shirts. I would think they'd be willing to entertain any offers from Performance, and kill two birds with one stone. But then again, I'm sure Performance already talked to them.)
 

·
I think I need to Upgrade
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
dgangi said:
I recently learned that a Performance Bike shop will be opening up in Scottsdale at the 101 & Raintree. Does anybody know when the shop will be open for business?

Right now the Supa'Ho in Chandler is my only saving grace if I am in dire need for a part and don't want to wait for another LBS to order it in. But the drive to Chandler from Paradise Valley really sucks - must cost me at least $5 in gas r/t!

BTW - I really hope the staff that they hire for the Performance shop is more knowledgeable than the goons at Supa'Ho. Shopping there feels like shopping at a Target. Even the folks at REI know more about bikes...

Thx...Doug
The Performance store is probably going to be opening in October due to delays in the finishing of the building, and politics. Performance did try to buy Landis but the deal did not go through (obviously).

Since I do work at SuperGo I would also like to clear the air about a few things that have been said in this thread. It is unfair and uncalled for to say that everyone that works at SuperGo in stupid and doesn't know what they are talking about. If you think that you could do better than some of us that work there then that is good for you. It is impossible to know everything there is to know about bikes when you are trying to balance a job school a personal life and riding (yes I actualy do ride (road and mountain) and I know a fair amount about disc brakes but not everything). I will admit that there are some people that I work with that don't know as much as they should but that is no reason to use a blanket statement that "none of them know what they are talking about and probably don't ride".

Other than the first part of this post this response is not entirely directed to the person that I replied to.

Ride hard die free!
Brian
 

·
Beyond the stars
Joined
·
745 Posts
Jeff you are a Moron! . . .

here is a concept I want you to see if you can get your tiny little head around: make jokes to, and about other people, or other people's situation and you just may find out where that fine line between an inapproatiate comment and "POW" there you are on the ground picking up your teeth like a box of spilled chicklets!

But, hey "I'm just busting your chops" and you think you know me well enough to make jokes? I'm thinking, maybe not.

In all seriousness, in the future, I can joke about my situation, YOU can not. If you have a comment like that, best to keep it under your hat, lest I might knock it off you tiny little pointed head.

See, the thing is when you say mean, spiteful, rude, or just generally unapproatiate things and then just try to pass it off by saying "just kidding" it generally means you actually believe in what you said, and/or dislike the person the comments were about, but wish forgiveness for your comments. Thing is, it just don't fly, it's BS, you should just keep your comments to yourself. How does that old saying go "it is better to keep your mouth closed and be though of as rude, or a jerk or an A$$hole, rather than open YOUR mouth and remove all doubt"

It's ok to hassle me about my riding skills, or lack thereof, hair, or lack thereof, and/or half a dozen other things. I have a great sense of humor, and even though I make a comment about my employment situation, you SHOULD NOT GO THERE.

I will expect you, in all your maturiaty and social grace to know what's ok and what's not.

Am I expecting too much? Maybe.
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top