Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for some new pedals, and have found a lot of choices.
I race cross country and do a lot of road- training. Used shoes are Shimano SH-M225 (carbon sole). Have been searching on this forum, and this is what I have come up with. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eggbeaters ( Sl and Ti) are light, good in mud, but non-durable (part can be replaced), probably not comfy for road training, and are they gonna eat up my shoes ??

Shimano M 959 are from what if read very good, but are a bit heavy. And they have a bigger platform.

Xdepo's ( Mag and Mag/Ti) are light, have a platform, but also non durable( parts can't be replaced).

Candy's ( Sl and Ti)are a bit heavier then the eggbeaters, but still light. They have a platform, but are they durable ?? and can parts be replaced ??

I'm leaning towards the candy's, but would like some opinions.

Thanks

DEX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dex11 said:
So I'm looking for some new pedals, and have found a lot of choices.
I race cross country and do a lot of road- training. Used shoes are Shimano SH-M225 (carbon sole). Have been searching on this forum, and this is what I have come up with. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eggbeaters ( Sl and Ti) are light, good in mud, but non-durable (part can be replaced), probably not comfy for road training, and are they gonna eat up my shoes ??

Shimano M 959 are from what if read very good, but are a bit heavy. And they have a bigger platform.

Xdepo's ( Mag and Mag/Ti) are light, have a platform, but also non durable( parts can't be replaced).

Candy's ( Sl and Ti)are a bit heavier then the eggbeaters, but still light. They have a platform, but are they durable ?? and can parts be replaced ??

I'm leaning towards the candy's, but would like some opinions.

Thanks

DEX
Depends what you ride I think. Lots of rocks on the trails I ride and the pedals tend to get beat up quickly, so I dont worry about pedals to much. I tend to go w/ whats cheapest. Same goes for rear derailluers. Lots of folks buy exspensive derailluers but all it takes is one stick, branch, rock etc... to destroy it. Anyway thats my opinion. But......if I was a millionare I would have all the goodies!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
What about Time?

Time was my choice for my first clipless. Maybe not the best idea because they aren't adjustable, but after the initial steep learning curve I really like them. I have used both the Aliums and Carbons and have had no problems with them at all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Second the Time ATACs

liatdraH said:
Time was my choice for my first clipless. Maybe not the best idea because they aren't adjustable, but after the initial steep learning curve I really like them. I have used both the Aliums and Carbons and have had no problems with them at all.
I second the Time ATAC clipless pedals. I use the Alium S pedals, and they are awesome, so easy to get in and out of, once you get used to them and break them in, and even that doesn't take that long, probably a few days of riding in them. They are also very secure.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never thought about the Time's, forgot all about them. THANKS !!!
From what I understand, they are good in mud. :) But are they durable ??
As I said before, I don't use them for racing only but training aswell.

Thanks.

DEX

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Look at the Shimano 540 too. Its 99% the same as the 959 for half the cost. Only difference is it use phillips screws instead of hex and the coating on the jaws is crome instead on the slightly better flourine coating of the 959's. They only weigh 6g more.

Time is also a great choice and are very durable. I wouldn't recommend the candy's. The platform really does nothing. It just makes the pedal more dificult to get into than the standard eggbeater. Its a product for those people who can't deal with the unusual look of the eggbeater. Its durability will be the same as the eggbeater since its the same pedal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks.

Especially for the info about the candy's, they were my first choice. I never knew the candy were almost the same, execpt for the platform. But when I look at it now its clear.
Time or Shimano it will be then, but witch model of the Atac's ?? Is the only difference the weight ??

Thanks

DEX

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got a pair of candy's and really like them....they work very well in mud and adverse conditions

my biggest complaint with them though is the cleat life.....i wear down the cleats every 3 or 4 months and have to get new ones, from my understanding im not the only one with this problem

·
Registered
293 Posts
Crank Bros. all around

I have Candy's on the Joker, Mallets on the hard tail and SL's on the road bike and my fixie. So far all is well and I only have one set of cleats for any riding shoe I feel like using. And with the Mallets, I can use a show without a cleat. I have a set of SIDI Dom's that fit my feet like a glove and I use most of the time on any of my bikes. I use my road shoes infrequently, but the option is always there.

Rick

·
Registered
67 Posts
I second the shimano 540. It's light, durable and cheap and mud doesn't get stuck in. And it also looks good. What more can you ask for? I've broken a 959 before, accidentally landed the pedal on a rock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.