Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on which parts i should get for my bike. I do mostly xc and a little dirt jumps. I wanted a new seat and maybe bars. I don't know a lot about mtb parts so heres what i was thinking about getting.
Handlebars- Easton? I don't know which bars would be best for me, i aws hoping you guys could lead me in the right direction.

Seat- fiz'ik Gobi xm or aliante xm

I just need some second opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What kind of bike do you have and what parts have you already upgraded?

By the way, the MonkeyLite XC is an excellent riser bar. Seats either fit your butt or don't fit it. A lot of riders like the WTB, I have a Fizik and love it, but you'll never know till you try it.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
What clamp diameter are you shopping for, 25.4 or 31.8? Aluminum or carbon? What length bar, what rise, what sweep? Saddle will depend on your butt...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an Iron Horse, fully stock except the Rock Shox coming in. Im pretty sure its an aluminum post and i don't know what the length or diameter would be.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
bpatterson63 said:
What are some good sites and buy the parts off of, I know of bikeparts.com and nashbar.com
Price Point
Jenson USA
Cambria Bike
Universal Cycles

Price Point sells their Sette house brand stuff cheap which is actually quite good. They ship very fast, quickest of the four I listed. Jenson USA and Cambria Bike often have great prices on close out brand name parts and are reliable, Universal Cycles has the best selection but not always the best price, though they do provide price matching.

Nashbar/Performance is hit or miss but by far take the longest to ship (I'm on the West coast where the four I listed are, they are on the East coast...may be different depending where you are) and their prices fluctuate constantly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you can support you local LBS. But if the deal is to good online then buy online.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thanks and one more thing should i get clipless pedals before bars and other stuff, multi-release or single release?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
bpatterson63 said:
Alright thanks and one more thing should i get clipless pedals before bars and other stuff, multi-release or single release?
I think you probably just need to use what you've got more until something's really in need of replacement, and that you at that point know why you're replacing it with either the same thing or something different...

Do you know what pedals you want, do you know they offer that cleat option? Do you know what multi-release means specifically?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
I think you probably just need to use what you've got more until something's really in need of replacement, and that you at that point know why you're replacing it with either the same thing or something different...

Do you know what pedals you want, do you know they offer that cleat option? Do you know what multi-release means specifically?
Tend to have to agree with Bikinfoolferlife use what you have till you are more knowledgeable about why you would replace the parts. why waste the money if you dont know why you are replacing them in the first place.

as for the pedals you know you have to buy more than just the pedals right for clipless at least.

·
Registered
201 Posts
what iron horse do you have (what model) that will help us help you be more in depth. what rock shock did you get just wondering.

also what did you mean by this (Im pretty sure its an aluminum post and i don't know what the length or diameter would be.) are you talking about your seat post or did you mean the stem for the bars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
motoxkfx123- i was talking about the seat post
And I know the difference between the pedals but i was just wondering which would be better since ive never rode clipless and yes i know you need more than just pedals i need shoes too

·
Registered
201 Posts
for the pedals i run the crank brothers 50/50 XX platform. I like to know that i can get off the bike quick, not that you cant with the clipless i just don't want to take the chance of spending the money and not like them.

Photobucket

As for bars i like the Truvativ Holzfeller World Cup they are bomb proof i weigh 240 and beat the hell out of them with no problems also they are very wide bars give me more control.

Photobucket

As for the seat post what model and year iron horse do you have every model has a different size seat post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts