Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Laughable Man...haaaa
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the ratings, searched more posts than I care to admit to, and really cant decide what the issue is...

I have a Durango 2.0 with Hutchinson Scorpion 2.0's front and back and have to say I am not really thrilled with the grip I get. I am a Clyde, 6'5" 290lbs (Yeah BIG), and I think that for my size I am pretty nimble but am still a beginner. I have seem to have a lot of trouble getting this bike through the corners, it leans and then wants to slip out from under me. I realize that this could all be a weight issue, but I wanna believe that maybe the treads on these tires are not suited for the South Florida soils and overall weather combination. I am very familiar with motorsport and compounds/tread design make huge differences there. Why not here?

I just want some testimonials...

I ride XC...some singletrack too... not overly aggressive.

Should I get wider tires?

If so what kind do you recommend?

IF not wider, then new of same size, different brand?

I realize this post is long and has the potential for getting very random but I just want to get a good idea whether or not my tires are not able to keep up with my increasing confidence and foolishness. It seems the bolder I get the less I can do...

All opinions welcome.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
I don't know your soil

but I can say a 2.0 is an XC race tire. You need a wider one, pure and simple. the back is less important, unless you're in sandy stuff a lot, and then of course fat tires float better.

Top rated is the Kenda Nevegal, designed by an old hand around for a long time; caution, like any sport, opinions on tires varies widely. Personally I like Michelin, but I ride FR on the Wet Coast so what do I know?

Look at the second tire down - the Nevegal. If you're i soft soil, a 2.35 folding might be best; harder soil, the 2.1 folding is perhaps better.

Like your current sport, you have to experiment to get to the right place.

Good luck, Jim

·
Laughable Man...haaaa
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fork hates me...

Thinking of upgrading to a Fox Vanilla RLC... Of course with a stiffer spring. As it is, this fork really compresses alot when I have to drop off of something. Max for me is about 2ft, so it shouldnt, but it does. I have to say though I really love this bike. It takes a beating and keeps on going...

Thanks for the tips!!

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
FWIW, I've recently switched to a 2.1 Tomac series Nevegal, and I've not been more pleased. Corners like a beast, and hooks up very well in climbs. It does tend to pack a bit with mud, but it still retains fairly decent handling characteristics even with the mud.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Yes wider tires in general will provide more grip and more cush but at a price of more weight and possibly rolling resistance. I place control very high on my priorities for bike handling so I think the trade off is worth it. Try a 2.3" or even a lightweight 2.5" tire on the front. I have heard good things about the Continental Diesel 2.5". Lotsa traction and decent weight.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Durango65 said:
... I have seem to have a lot of trouble getting this bike through the corners, it leans and then wants to slip out from under me. I realize that this could all be a weight issue, but I wanna believe that maybe the treads on these tires are not suited for the South Florida soils and overall weather combination.
I'm assuming you know you should stay off the brakes while cornering as it is the main reason for washing out.

Durango65 said:
Should I get wider tires?
If so what kind do you recommend?
IF not wider, then new of same size, different brand?
Heavier riders can benefit of larger volume tires IMO. I''m #215 and live happily with Mutano Raptor 2.4 front and Weirwolf 2.1 back (both WTB).
Nevegals are too sticky IMO (high rolling resistance) with no significant advantage in corners.

Another important issue is tire pressure. The higher, the least predictable the tire gets. But you can't go too low (pinch flats and resistance).
I'm running 35PSI front 40PSI rear. If you go tubeless you may reduce pressure and gain more traction even with smaller tires... combinations are endless...

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
robdamanii said:
FWIW, I've recently switched to a 2.1 Tomac series Nevegal, and I've not been more pleased. Corners like a beast, and hooks up very well in climbs. It does tend to pack a bit with mud, but it still retains fairly decent handling characteristics even with the mud.
Stiffen the fork or replace to something that can handle you better. If the fork is diving like you say it's going to kill the handeling. :cool:

·
Laughable Man...haaaa
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Zen

I have my copy of Mastering Mountain Biking. Of course no brakes in the corners, it just seems like I am maxing out the available traction at the angles of the lean.

Great tips here.

·
Nice no rass
682 Posts
My wife had those same Hutchinsons on her Dakar Sport...I say had. I ditched them after 3 rides because of traction problems, for her it was mostly rear traction loss. I switched to Panaracer Fire XC Pros in 2.1. I'm not sure it's "the tire", but so far world's better than the Hutches. Next tire change I'll look for something in the 2.2-2.25 range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.