Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my new Park SW-20 wrench. One of the reasons I wanted to try it is I was building a set of wheels with DT Aerolite bladed spokes and I needed a way to use a spoke holder and a wrench at the same time. I didn't realize how much an aero spoke winds up as the wheel is getting tight, but there is very little resistance to twisting with these spokes. It is easy to have the spoke twist 1/2 turn or more as you tighten them without a spoke holder.

Once I realized this, I bought the DT spoke holder, but it sat too high on top of my Spokey or traditional Park wrenches to make me feel good about using it. It seemed likely to create a notch on the spoke because the spoke holder wouldn't sit down against the end part of the spoke where it begins to become round again like the wrench is designed to do.

I spoke with mikesee and he told me that for aero spokes he prefers the spoke holder and a hex-head nipple so the nipple is turned from the opposite side of the rim. I built up a third wheel like this and it's a great method. One cool thing about a hex-head nipple is you can easily and precisely turn the nip 1/6, 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 turn. I still had 2 wheels that didn't have hex head nips that needed final tensioning, though.

I thought I'd be able to use both the tool and a DT wrench with it's open center section. This is when I found out they are no longer manufactured. Finally, I saw a picture of the Park "Master Mechanic" wrench. It was supposed to be out in February, but there has been considerable delay in its release. I just got my hands on one of these wrenches last week.

The wrench does work with the DT Aerolite spoke holder like I envisioned. I can hold the spoke down near the nipple in the way the tool is designed and turn it from the same side. I'm excited to be able to finally finish these wheels.

Overall the wrench is a beautiful piece. I don't know how it compares to the original DT wrench, but for those who wanted the DT and couldn't get it, this is probably the closest thing to having one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Very interesting! Thank you for posting those images.

Quick question: If the wheel is already built with DT Aerolite spokes, do you still need to use the DT tool for minor trueing of the wheel or is a regular spoke wrench sufficient?

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nybike1971 said:
Very interesting! Thank you for posting those images.

Quick question: If the wheel is already built with DT Aerolite spokes, do you still need to use the DT tool for minor trueing of the wheel or is a regular spoke wrench sufficient?
Any wrench will work, you'll just have to rotate quite a ways past your intended stopping point then twist back to it to avoid spoke wind-up. That gets really old if you have to do more than a couple of spokes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
Overall the wrench is a beautiful piece. I don't know how it compares to the original DT wrench, but for those who wanted the DT and couldn't get it, this is probably the closest thing to having one.
Here is my DT wrench. I used it once then went back to my Spokey.

Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
I bought a red spokey, but the spoke channel was too tight for the angle the spokes made coming from the nipple. So I cut a big V-shape in the plastic from the top almost down to the metal nippleholder, and now it works much nicer :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts