Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I did a search and it helped, but didn't get a specific answer...

I replaced my stock Hayes 9 pads with new Aztek pads. I compressed the cylinders all the way in but it was still a bear to get the caliper back on. The brake was tight and the lever then had no play. I read that there might now be too much fluid in the system, so I applied pressure to the brake lever and bled out a little fluid from the bleader valve at the caliper, being careful not to let air in. That helped but they are still a little tight, even after going for a pretty long ride today and using the back brake quite a bit. Gat a little extra workout this time... :-(

I want to know if I should try to let out a little more fluid. I don't want to drain too much and have do deal with the results, with that not correcting the problem.

Also, I'm wondering if the Aztek pads might just happen to be thinker than the original Hayes pads. Maybe I should just get some Hays pads to correct the problem?

Thanks a lot guys. Brian.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
BigBri said:
Hi all,
I did a search and it helped, but didn't get a specific answer...

I replaced my stock Hayes 9 pads with new Aztek pads. I compressed the cylinders all the way in but it was still a bear to get the caliper back on. The brake was tight and the lever then had no play. I read that there might now be too much fluid in the system, so I applied pressure to the brake lever and bled out a little fluid from the bleader valve at the caliper, being careful not to let air in. That helped but they are still a little tight, even after going for a pretty long ride today and using the back brake quite a bit. Gat a little extra workout this time... :-(

I want to know if I should try to let out a little more fluid. I don't want to drain too much and have do deal with the results, with that not correcting the problem.

Also, I'm wondering if the Aztek pads might just happen to be thinker than the original Hayes pads. Maybe I should just get some Hays pads to correct the problem?

Thanks a lot guys. Brian.
I had the same problem when I switched to Aztek's on my Hayes 9's. I reset the pistons, centered the calipers and they still rubbed a little. I just let the pads wear a little (helped by some sanding) and reset the pistons and recentered the calipers and it was all good. The Azteks are better than the stock Hayes pads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.