Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
They showed a prototype at Interbike and said it would be avaialble in spring this year. I should be getting to see a sample before too much longer from our shop's rep.

Clink said:
Anyone heard any rumours about their new frame? I've heard it's meant to have room for 2.5's in the rear which would be fab with it's short stays.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Here is what I was told at Interbike, and a couple of pictures of the prototype shown there. This color scheme was the front runner for final production at that time.

Here's an excerpt from my report from Interbike on the Scout 29"er:

It will feature a double butted 4130 steel top and down tube, bent down tube for fork clearance, plate style drop outs, and capability to run single speed with its horizontal drop outs with built in tensioners. The dropout on the geared side will be an alloy replaceable one.
Production versions should show up this spring at a suggested retail of around $200.00. (That's right. 2 hundies!)
The tire clearance is for a 2.4″er on this one, by the way.

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Clink said:
Presume it keeps the short chainstays of the original?

What's the rest made from??
Yes- short chainstays, better tire clearance.

The rest of the frame is straight guage 4130.

They will also have a monster crosser at the same price with a steel fork that will reportedly have clearance for 2.1's and has canti and disc mounts. Here's a pic of the cross frame with the fork way in the backround.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Timely..just got my new scout 29er delivered today! Mine is the alum. frame model with the cro-moly fork. Only had time for a quick 3 mile run on the streets and jumped a few curbs...darn fun! Really love the compact feel/geometry as it seems quick and agile..and coming from a ht 26er, I'm surprised and happy with the handling. Headed for the trails tomorrow and will shoot some pics with a ride report. I'm 6-2 and went with the 20" frame (avail in 18 or 20)..fits well, but will probably go with a longer stem as this one feels a little short. As a budget 29er SS, this bike is well spec'd and looks to be a good design. If someone is looking for a 18" size, the dealer had one at absolute killer price..and I mean too good to pass...PM me.
http://www.origin-8.com/product_detail.php?short_code=Scout 29&cl1=BICYCLES&version=1

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
ScottN said:
Is that a bent ST too?

Or is it an optical illusion? How short is short cs when you're talking here? Any idea on the rest of the geometry?
Yes, that is a bent seat tube. Chain stays are listed at 425mm on the old version. (16.73") and I was told the new version retains the "same short chain stays".

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
Thanks. What about the rest of the geometry? Is it designed for the newer 100/120mm forks? I really dig the short chainstay idea along with the longer fork for a more all mountain setup of sorts.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
ScottN said:
Thanks. What about the rest of the geometry? Is it designed for the newer 100/120mm forks? I really dig the short chainstay idea along with the longer fork for a more all mountain setup of sorts.
I do not have any solid geometry numbers on this one yet, but I would be extremely surprised if it was anything out of the ordinary XC/Trail type geo centered around an 80mm fork.

I may have some more solid info next week, so I'll chime in again if I can get something more concrete.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
ETP2008 said:
Will there be a rigid fork option please? I guess they have a carbon fiber rigid recomendation?
Well, yeah.........the Origin 8 carbon Black Ops fork, of course. ;) :p

They have a steel fork as well, but it is pretty tank-ish. The new frame will not have a matching fork, as far as paint and all, by the way.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Clink said:
Thanks GT. Any more geometry info? Sure would be nice if they put something on their site.
Everything should be very close to the original, with the exception of the tire clearance, which has been increased over the original. Those looking for a bike with short chain stays, high BB's, and slacker head tubes should look elsewhere. The Scout will be a XC/Trail oriented geometry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.