Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
I got lucky w/Evo on price too, paid $6500 for base model and I think a few days later price went up to 7K :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most Shimano dealers will charge you for any work like this (firmware reinstall, wheel circumference change, etc).

And while it is lucky that Jenson is 30 miles away, isn't it a pain in the a$$ that you need to spend $30 in car wear and tear and 2+ hours of your time to get it fixed?

Your local shop or Jenson should have done a once over on the bike and verified everything before delivering it to you (including the crank arm fix).

I hope you get it sorted soon. You'll love the bike.
I'm going to make sure that the firmware has been looked at and the spec is correct to US before I agree on 8k being charged to my card. If I get a "duh, I don't have any idea" type of response from a bike shop of their caliber, I may pass on this bike. Hopefully by now and the fact that they already sold a good 20+ Rises, someone who works their should be keen to the workings of this bike.

My M10 is supposed to arrive early May. I'm the first buyer on their list for this model in Blue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm going to make sure that the firmware has been looked at and the spec is correct to US before I agree on 8k being charged to my card.

My M10 is supposed to arrive early May. I'm the first buyer on their list for this model in Blue.
Good move - you're probably ok, but if your stance causes them to invest a little more time in quality assurance, so much the better.

Here's my exchange with Orbea:

My new Rise is, apparently, a European spec model ( registration # ___) and is speed limited to 25 kph and data is presented in kph. Is there a method for me to change this to US specification? and their response:

Good afternoon:
Thank you for contacting Orbea!
The maximum speed in Europe for an ebike is 25 Kilometers / hour and for the USA it is 20 Miles / hour
All ebikes sold in the USA are programmed for that speed of 20 Mph
The registration corresponds to Mph
All the best,
Orbea team

and my follow-up:

Thank you for the response.

However, the bike only reflects Kilometers and assist ends at 25 kph as indicated on Garmin 530. Regardless of what the registration indicates, the bike must be European spec. I need help correcting this problem.

Thanks,
Don

They've not responded.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Good move - you're probably ok, but if your stance causes them to invest a little more time in quality assurance, so much the better.

Here's my exchange with Orbea:

My new Rise is, apparently, a European spec model ( registration # ___) and is speed limited to 25 kph and data is presented in kph. Is there a method for me to change this to US specification? and their response:

Good afternoon:
Thank you for contacting Orbea!
The maximum speed in Europe for an ebike is 25 Kilometers / hour and for the USA it is 20 Miles / hour
All ebikes sold in the USA are programmed for that speed of 20 Mph
The registration corresponds to Mph
All the best,
Orbea team

and my follow-up:

Thank you for the response.

However, the bike only reflects Kilometers and assist ends at 25 kph as indicated on Garmin 530. Regardless of what the registration indicates, the bike must be European spec. I need help correcting this problem.

Thanks,
Don

They've not responded.
FYI, on the US spec bikes, assist actually starts to cut out at around 18 MPH or so. It's a weird Shimano thing. Be super certain that your bike isn't actually US Spec. Changing the units on the display is a different issue and easy to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI, on the US spec bikes, assist actually starts to cut out at around 18 MPH or so. It's a weird Shimano thing. Be super certain that your bike isn't actually US Spec. Changing the units on the display is a different issue and easy to do.
When I connect with Shimano E-tube Project, it shows maximum speed as 25kph. When my Garmin 530 indicates 25kph assist turns off.
Garmin display unit speed its already set to MPH. Orbea toolbox doesn't give an option to change unit speed form KPH to MPH. How did you do it? I thought your solution was to change to a SC-MT800? I actually have one from another bike but I like having battery capacity reflected as a percentage.

·
Registered
788 Posts
When I connect with Shimano E-tube Project, it shows maximum speed as 25kph. When my Garmin 530 indicates 25kph assist turns off.
Garmin display unit speed its already set to MPH. Orbea toolbox doesn't give an option to change unit speed form KPH to MPH. How did you do it? I thought your solution was to change to a SC-MT800? I actually have one from another bike but I like having battery capacity reflected as a percentage.
Yeah, never figured out how to change the Rise Toolbox units on my Garmin.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Anyone know where one obtains a range extender for the rise? I have one ordered for the last 3 weeks at a LBS but they don't have an eta.

·
10,000,000 Watts
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
I’ve sold mr Rise to a gentleman and have had the extender on order since December. I’ve been told 3 dates which of course have not happened. The latest is April 15th, but customer service was supposed to get back with me “tomorrow “ 3 days ago. Idk, awesome bike, but damn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bike is in Seattle, selling dealer in Southern Cal. Hope to find local dealer that will help even though bike wasn't purchased from them. Wish I could do it myself...
Your local dealer should be able to help if it is warranty related regardless where you bought it. They can charge a diagnostic fee if it is not warranty related but they are missing out on a potential customer and revenue.

Not sure why certain dealers are like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Received a response from Orbea to my follow-up question:

"Dear, Don _,

I have checked it with my teammates and it seems that we are aware of this incident and we are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

We will give more information once it is resolved.

Sorry for the inconvenience that this could have caused to you.

Kind regards,

Orbea Team,"

Credit to Orbea for responding and acknowledging problem.

However, I read a facebook post from an Orbea owner's group - someone had same issue and the problem required a fix to be sent to an Orbea dealer to correct.

"The EP8 can be configured with either an EU or US region which is what determines the maximum assist speed. This is locked such that only the manufacturer can change it. In my case, Orbea remotely flashed my firmware through a dealer. "

Hopefully, Orbea will find a way to release a "secure" update through E-Tube and not require a case by case fix.

And no response from Jenson.

The saga continues...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Received a response from Orbea to my follow-up question:

"Dear, Don _,

I have checked it with my teammates and it seems that we are aware of this incident and we are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

We will give more information once it is resolved.

Sorry for the inconvenience that this could have caused to you.

Kind regards,

Orbea Team,"

Credit to Orbea for responding and acknowledging problem.

However, I read a facebook post from an Orbea owner's group - someone had same issue and the problem required a fix to be sent to an Orbea dealer to correct.

"The EP8 can be configured with either an EU or US region which is what determines the maximum assist speed. This is locked such that only the manufacturer can change it. In my case, Orbea remotely flashed my firmware through a dealer. "

Hopefully, Orbea will find a way to release a "secure" update through E-Tube and not require a case by case fix.

And no response from Jenson.

The saga continues...
An eTube fix ain't gonna happen, unfortunately. It will require a dealer visit.

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Got the wheels/tires swapped, shaved a couple pounds, still waiting on brake adapters for bigger rotors but it's coming along. Also up'd the assist and torque levels one notch in the eco and trail modes, profile 2, she's got some pep in her step now

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
Good luck cascade!, maybe your local Orbea dealer and some beer? If I have a problem with motor/battery that's my plan even tho I bought it online thru Evo, my local dealer didn't have any availability

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good luck cascade!, maybe your local Orbea dealer and some beer? If I have a problem with motor/battery that's my plan even tho I bought it online thru Evo, my local dealer didn't have any availability
Thanks Tickle!
I think I'll eventually get it fixed. Bike is great and I really don't feel it's lacking because of the Euro spec - just want it to be right. I rode it yesterday and continue to get it dialed in and really like it. I'll probably take it to Evo, as I've been a customer purchasing a $hit load of ski gear and an Evil Following frameset, so at least I have some history with them. I hope they'll recognize that I would have bought it from them if they had one in stock, and while I'm all in favor of beer gratuity, I'm not going to kiss anybody's ass to get what I paid for. Certainly, Orbea's needs to sort it out and I'll expect them to facilitate fix with their local dealer. We'll see...

·
Registered
1 Posts
After about a month of owning a small m10 Rise and putting some time in on it. I'm still blown away by how she handles on the downs and with general trail manners. This thing Rips, I run the stock dissector tubeless in the rear and a 2.5 assegai 3c tubeless up front. I swapped the 125mm dropper to at 150mm dropper, Made huge difference in helping me minimize contact with the rear tire. The weight of the bike makes it sticks like velcro and yet its poppy and flows through the turns. The rise is not suppose to be a plow machine but it seems to punch above its weight and hold lines really well especially at high speed. I cant wait to take this bike on road trips and to some fun jump lines. One thing to note is make sure to check your crank arm bolts. While doing a techie climb the other day my non drive side crank arm fell off, thats never happened to me on a normal bike so glad it didnt come off on a down.
Just received an email from Orbea warning me of this issue? Do you happen to know what the torque specs are for the crank arm bolts or did you just wrench them down? I emailed inquiring about this and they responded by telling me to go to one of their dealers. I don't need to go to a dealer to tighten bolts just tell me the proper torque settings.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just received an email from Orbea warning me of this issue? Do you happen to know what the torque specs are for the crank arm bolts or did you just wrench them down? I emailed inquiring about this and they responded by telling me to go to one of their dealers. I don'ta need to go to a dealer to tighten bolts just tell me the proper torque settings.
its stamped on the cranks.

161 - 180 of 200 Posts