165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im new to MTBR.COM and fairly new to mountain biking
im a freshman in highschool and i really wana go far in mountain biking
and i have just started to do some serious training
im #1 in Nebraska for MTBiking in ages 13-15
so if you just have any tips, suggestions, anything it would be helpful
P.S.
im not part of a team ... dont even have biker shorts.. money is kind of an issue
my dad is willing to get me a new bike for around $1,500 <-----his max price
so any suggestions?
the bike i have now is a Conondale F-600 so plz comment
thanx

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey, I'm a junior from California and enjoy mountain biking too. It's a great way to get out of the shell of the internet (I'll admit its addictive) and experience the beauty of the natural world while having a hell of a lot of fun.
I got my real start into mtb buying a used Specialized enduro off of craigslist for 700$ which was a great deal. I recommend waiting and researching a bit until you find a great deal off of Craigslist.
Another thing that's really important is the kind of riding style you want to pursue. When I first got into the sport, I had watched a lot of stuff from The Collective and was pumped to tear it up on super fast dh but was tempered by the limits of my bike and body. I've saved that for the college years and have instead been riding lots of cross country stuff which really helped my endurance. Long story short, I suggest that you look for a 5-6 inch travel all mountain bike that is viable for both cross country training but will keep the downhills smooth at the same time.
If you don't already know, www.chainlove.com has some great deals every so often. I picked up some oakely M frames and bike shorts off of there new for like 60% off so keep an eye on it every so often for deals. 70% of the time theres a lot of road biking crap but mtb deals come on once in a while.
In the end, MTB is what you want to make of it, whether it be a social/group activity or a solo effort to push your limits. I like to mix the two to keep a variety in things, but mtb is a great way to kill time with friends instead of sitting glued to a computer (albeit I am now lol). Most importantly, regardless of the bike you have, the gear you have, make sure you just go out and have fun riding cause thats the best feeling in the world

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Pedal, pedal, pedal! The best thing you can do for your future MTB self is to pedal up a lot of hill's, don't become a gravity junkie you'll only limit yourself. I know going down hill fast is fun , jumping is fun, but if you learn to pedal up hill you'll get in shape and you'll be able to ride a lot more trails.

Pedal! the more stuff you climb the more stuff you'll find to go down.

Push a bigger gear. Resistance is not futile, it build your lungs and your legs.

Learn to track stand, it's the basis for riding skinny's and everyone knows riding skinny's is cool.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha don't worry
i have nothing aginst a downhiller but XC is 4 me
i love this amazing sport and can't wait til' i can get on my bike!
today im going to be working on my old giant bolder
then ill work on my trek 3700
then the Canondale

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so yah im still trying to pick out the next bike 4 me.. any ideas? i got about $1,500 to spend.. i want the most competive 1 i can get... or maybe just fix the 1 i have right now up... like i said earlier i have the canondale f-600 (furio)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You'd be better off buying a complete bike either new or used. You can find some good deals on eBay(be careful) on used bikes, your LBS for new. For $1500 you should be able to get a ok bike new bike, better used, remember it's not what the bike looks like it's how it preforms. I'd go for a 5" travel FS (more travel is not always better) or a hardtail with a good fork.

Shop around. Good luck!

(I've got a Giant VT2 size medium I'll sell you for $750. PM if your interested)

·
Motobey
276 Posts
Hey mon just wait. Keep riding your bike get more skills. Different brands have different geometry. I agree with Jollybeggar keep pedaling. Remember at your age your still going to grow more. Follow your heart desire but do it smartly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok
well i ride alot and this year i am going to have a real training schedual put down so im just trying to find how to get the best ride for the money, i race XC so any good hints about the new bike?
and would a Giant VT2 be a good / better bike than the one i currently have?
right now i have a Canondale F-600

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Check out the XC board/forum, I'm sure those guys would be able to advise you on a XC bike in your budget. If you plan to do trail riding you'll probably want at least a 4" travel fork w/lockout.

Cannondale has some good entry level bikes as does Giant. Look at the new stuff then search eBay.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
dcompton check out the Santa Cruz Superlight. Single Pivot 4 inch travel bike. You can get it new for around $1500 or used for better. And as time goes on you can start to upgrade the components and wheels to make it lighter. Menso one of the top collegiate riders who frequents the Norcal forum rides a Superlight (and that is a nice endorsement) You would be surprised what a 4 inch travel can do and handle. If you grab a used one get one after they change the shape of the rear triangle..thing 2007 and on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.