Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
stop...safety first
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completely new old-school....Mary bars are in effect. Much to my disspair Ive only ridden them a few times now. But it is enough to know Im done with my hellbent XC riser on the SS. I had no real problems with that bar, but the mary bars is better.
I did some extraneous jumping ,sliding and dropping just to see if I was as stable on them. Notice I put the onus on myself for stability.
They felt great on small (3ft) jumps to flat and small drops to tranny. My grips moved a bit but not the bar. I will be testing them on my Bullit(for bigger stuff) this summer, if I can wait.
Drifitng turns were great. the 40 degree bend makes reverse stearing even quicker.
They tracked well through the rocks too.
My only sketchy experience was super high speed cornering through pine needles on single track(ride it dont slide it). Maybe I over thought it, but things seemed kinda squirrelly. Of course things are always a bit squirrely under those conditions.
Needless to say climbing was more comfortable and more powerful. I've never had barends on my SS so the extra power was noticable.
By the end of my second ride I had forgoteen all about the bars, which is a good sign IMHO.
My body postion hardly changed, so I didn't change stems. The Mary has more rise than the HBXC and I like that too.

The bars give a lot of bang for the buck. I don't jones for an H-bar anymore, now I've got the "poorboy" version(no offense Brant). With the extra money I'll probably buy a second mary bar. Sorry , no pics...other posts have them though. Mine look like those.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
TubeSSnapper said:
Completely new old-school....Mary bars are in effect. Much to my disspair Ive only ridden them a few times now. But it is enough to know Im done with my hellbent XC riser on the SS. I had no real problems with that bar, but the mary bars is better.
I did some extraneous jumping ,sliding and dropping just to see if I was as stable on them. Notice I put the onus on myself for stability.
They felt great on small (3ft) jumps to flat and small drops to tranny. My grips moved a bit but not the bar. I will be testing them on my Bullit(for bigger stuff) this summer, if I can wait.
Drifitng turns were great. the 40 degree bend makes reverse stearing even quicker.
They tracked well through the rocks too.
My only sketchy experience was super high speed cornering through pine needles on single track(ride it dont slide it). Maybe I over thought it, but things seemed kinda squirrelly. Of course things are always a bit squirrely under those conditions.
Needless to say climbing was more comfortable and more powerful. I've never had barends on my SS so the extra power was noticable.
By the end of my second ride I had forgoteen all about the bars, which is a good sign IMHO.
My body postion hardly changed, so I didn't change stems. The Mary has more rise than the HBXC and I like that too.

The bars give a lot of bang for the buck. I don't jones for an H-bar anymore, now I've got the "poorboy" version(no offense Brant). With the extra money I'll probably buy a second mary bar. Sorry , no pics...other posts have them though. Mine look like those.
Nice write up. You summed up why they exist very well.

If you did not use baggy grips they would not slip. :D

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
great review, snapper!

shiggy said:
Nice write up. You summed up why they exist very well.

If you did not use baggy grips they would not slip. :D
and that is a great little segue, shiggy! :D :D
glad to know the sense of humor will never be lost. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.