Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I already posted this in the Specialized forum but was told I would get good suggestions here too.

Hi guys, I just got an older rockhopper for $100 from a guy that was moving. I'm convinced that was a pretty good deal. I'm brand new to mountain biking and am extremely happy with my bike. It seems to ride very well and I've taken it on a bunch of trails around my area and love it. Is there anything I should look at upgrading? I'm 16 and don't have a ton of money to throw into this hobby right now, but I do have a job and may be able to do some small upgrades.

Everything is stock as far as I know

Shimano Exage front and rear derailleur
Deore XT Brakes
Stock specialized front fork
Stock specialized wheels
Not sure what the front tire is, but the rear is a 2.3" specialized
Stock pedals
Specialized computer

Thanks for the advice.

JB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey not a bad deal for $100.. although the bike looks to be a little ancient, I'd worry about how easily you could upgrade it. You could start with upgrading the simple things over time: Wheels, seat, seat post, handle bars, stem, cranks, etc.. Maybe get a feel for what kind of riding you do, whether its just xc trail riding, aggressive dirt jumps or even down hill, then buy parts that are specific to the type of riding you enjoy. After a while you could just swap out the frame and have almost a completely new bike.. just my $0.02

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's a great bike just like it is and I think you made a good deal. I'd be happy to ride it on our most difficult trails. If you can't adjust the front of your saddle down enough, take the saddle off the post, turn the post 180 degrees and put the saddle back on. Looks to me like the post might be installed backwards.
Again, nice bike!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I stopped by the LBS today and picked up some Shimano 520 pedals and Specialized Taho shoes. I love the setup. Easy to get in and out of. And they are comfortable too.

JB

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
A stem will be a harder upgrade to do. It looks as if you have a 1" threaded fork on there which requires a threaded Quill stem which are not as widely made anymore. Everything else on the bike should be good. Also what speed is the drive train if its an 8spd casette (24 gears) it will be a much easier upgrade of components. If its a 7spd (21 gears) in order to upgrade to 9 spd (27 gears) it will require a new wheelset (or a 9spd rear hub at the very minimum)

Edit: I also believe that your fork allthough it says specialized was actually made by Rockshox.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It looks like everyone is coming up with all sorts of ways for you to separate yourself from your money. I say just ride it!
Ask yourself this: Does it shift OK? Does it stop OK? Does it handle and steer OK? Do I fit the bike? Is it fun to ride?
At most I would buy a set of reasonably priced tires and tubes like the MTB VelociRaptor or Kenda Nevegal and a new chain. I don't recommend riding on crummy old tires and your old chain is probably worn and stretched. Slime the tubes and go riding. After you've ridden it for 40 or 50 miles you'll know what you like or don't like about it. Then you could shop around for spiffier parts. Meanwhile, remember what you now have was once cool new stuff. To my way of thinking it still sort of is for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It shifts very well, it stops ok, it handles ok, it fits perfectly and it's a blast to ride. I just got back from a 2 1/2 hour ride up a mountain. It's a bit tricky getting used to the clipless pedals and I fell a couple times. It takes quite a bit more balls to tackle technical descents while clipped in. I'm not quite sure if I suck or my trails suck, but my guess is that it is a mix of both. I think I'll try to stay happy with it as is for now. I'll probably get a new chain sometime soon and new tires if I think I need them (which may be soon). I have a good tube in back and a spare (both preslimed). I guess I'll try to rack up some skills first. I've already put about 150 miles on it in the last three weeks and like it so far. Also, the shocks seem to be coming in. Maybe they just needed to be moved around a litte. Thanks tons for the tips guys.

JB

·
Lurker
192 Posts
Wow i think you got a great deal for $100 bucks, but i would ride it as is unless u need to upgrade or feel the bike would better suit you with other parts. But as far as Jims post hes right after a few years you can jus buy a new frame a swap out. Ride on and enjoy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great bike for $100!

You may want to try the Wellgo Magnesium platform pedals. They run around $50 and are well worth the investment.

I'm not coordinated enough for the clipless pedals! ;)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Just ride it

You got a very nice bike for $100 and it's the perfect intro to the sport. Frankly, the bike is too old to consider doing any serious upgrades, especially if you're riding it now and having fun. Use this as an opportunity to learn about the sport and become a better rider. if you progress enough as a rider, you may find some limitations in the bike. If this is the case, then it's time to start thinking about buying a NEW bike, not upgrading an older bike. In the long run, upgrading the old bike will likely cost you more than buying a new one with similar components.

Just ride it and enjoy.

Bob

Reactions: wmac

·
Registered
31 Posts
You Rockhopper is almost identical to mine, and I haven't been able to find out a dang thing on mine, not even the year.

Nobody "important" seems to give a rip about any bike or component older than 6 months.

Did you ever get any more info? And did you ever get your shocks rebuilt?

Please let me know!

·
Cow Clicker
2,031 Posts
Great bike! I agree with the previous posts regarding upgrades. It's going to be tough finding parts to fit that will be a real upgrade. The best upgrade you can do is spend some cash on good padded shorts if you don't already have some. Price ranges from $40 - $250 for a plush bib/short combo. I'd get a different seat (and turn the seat post around), lose the bar ends and get new grips. It's hard to see what shape the tires are in. If they are showing cracks at the knobs, you might want to replace those too.

Other than that, fantastic find! Ride hard and have fun!

·
Cow Clicker
2,031 Posts
Oh, and careful putting a new chain on an old drivetrain - it could make a mess of things. Unless there's a lot of stretch, it should be fine with some care and maintenance.

·
Registered
946 Posts
old thread but a goodie!

ratt:
I worked in a bike shop during that lettering phase on Specialized bikes, seems like between a 1997-2000 maybe? Bike pedia is a pretty good source of pics & info, along with Bike blue book. You might be able to find out more info there. Parts will be hard to find for rebuilds, I think most shocks used elastomers back then. Some springs, but those were the higher end models(like the Marzocchi Bomber, Manitou, Judy, etc).
Best bet is new stuff really.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mesolithic Rockhopper

I'm willing to bet some serious dosh that my Rockhopper is late-80's or very early 90's, but I can't get any proof anywhere. I've been searching the Net for years, and until I found this thread I never found a Rockhopper even close to mine.

The last shop I had my bike in, they looked at it and said "Dude, you must be an archaeologist"

Thanks for Bike Pedia- what a resource! Too bad their Rockhopper section only goes back to '93- and no pix of it :madman:

I found some info on getting those ancient shocks operational again- IFF the valves and seals aren't shot. If they are, I'll just order some springs from Lee Spring Co.- they stock every spring made on the planet.

Thanks, Guys :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts