Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after quite a hiatus, I have finally purchased a new bike and am really looking forward to start riding again - 10 years older and 30 pounds overweight.

I grew up in Chico, CA and cut my teeth riding in Upper Bidwell Park in High School and college. (The Norcal forums on this board are driving me crazy and remind me of my college years!)

Anyhow, I have a cheap but acceptable bike that should last me a year or three, until I get back into shape and move up to a nicer ride.

I was once a good mountain biker, getting up and down the hill on the sharp lava rocks at a decent clip, but it's been a while. I'd like to ride Devil's Backbone but I am not sure the skill level required. I think that from a technical perspective I can ride it, but I am not sure if I am going to piss off riders with my slow pace and lack of stamina.

I plan on riding the roads after work at night once my MTE P7's get here, so eventually I will build back up my stamina, but I hope the Colo MTB'ers are as friendly as I remember it back in the day.

Catch you all on the trail, and I'll try to pull over and let you by if there's room!

--Duck911

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've ridden DB twice and I'm pretty old and slow. I think the first mile or two kind of makes you think it will be a nice ride in the park, but then it pretty much slams you with a steep half mile or so of climbing w/moderate tech stuff. The top of the ridge is fun and rocky and then descend back into the valley, and then back up on the ridge. I thoroughly enjoyed the trail and would be up there more often if I didn't live so far away. I did some walking on the climb, so don't feel bad if you do too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you're looking for a less brutal introduction to DBB you can always drive a few miles north to Coyote Ridge and start there. That'll give you the opportunity to experience some of the hogback without being miles and miles up. I think its maybe three miles from the parking area at the FC city limit to the Rimrock area which is pretty interesting in and of itself.

You can ride south from rimrock to DBB directly and there are a few interesting loops there.

http://www.co.larimer.co.us/parks/openlands/os_rimrock.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.