Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Swampthing
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
been lurking here for a bit picking up information and reviews. Thanks
I’m a fat old guy who hasn’t ridden in a long time.
Anyway on a whim I picked up an old used Dawes SS convert with a flip flop axle and a spray can paInt job for cheap. $40 cheap.
It’s got some issues but is fun. I tried the fixie side on a whim. Love it! Not a big fan of the bike though.
I have a 1994 Gary Fisher Montare, it’s my “Freedom Ride”. That’s the year I got out of the military, started University, and used the bike as a commuter and on the trails. Anyway the last time I rode it was about 15 years ago and I took a tumble,...
since then there have been , kids, work, spinal injuries, surgery, cancer,... all the normal bullshit that happens to those of us who outlive our shelf-life.
I’m rebuilding the Fisher as a SS, got an eccentric hub so can go Fixed or free and not worry about chain length.
My commute is a flat 12 miles and my goal is to get into good enough shape to do it regularly by bike. Most likely only in the winter, but I have all summer to get it built and get into shape.
Thanks

PS, any saddle recommendations?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
It's hard to recommend a saddle; only your butt can tell you. Get your sit bones measured at a shop, that'll give you an indication of minimum saddle width. Don't get a 5 lb gel barcolounger. Don't get a hard shell ass hatchet. A lot of folks seem to like WTB saddles, but there's lots of other good ones, lots of other awful ones.

Ride on!

·
Swampthing
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
I’ll definitely check out the less expensive saddles!
How do you like the Surly Krampus?
I just ordered a Surly long haul trucker fork (and a headset,and a problem solver reducer) to replace my dead 1990s rock shocks on the Fisher.
Got a sweet deal from tree fort on a cut and paint chipped stock fork.
It has the correct dimensions for my frame as far as I can tell. It matches the fork that came off at least.
WhAt a pain it has been trying to replace the 1.25” evolution fork.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Love it, just got it a couple of months ago, but did a 25mile ride on Saturday (mostly XC) and it was a blast!

I'm running 2.8 tires, and so far is rigid but I'm old too so one of the mtbs is getting a fork.

I've my eye on a Cross Check but I must be patient lol. Surly makes awesome bikes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.