Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

561 - 580 of 691 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
HI all, here is my Occam M30, rode it today after the last upgrade.
In Stock configuration was already good, now i found it even better.
This sum up the transformation of my Occam from the beginning:

Btlos 30mm carbon rims/DT swiss 350 36T (1500gr)
Kenda Hellkat/Helldiver ATC 29x2.40
XTR 180mm rotors
Oneup 180mm dropper
Ergon SM saddle
Renthal Apex stem + Fatbar lite carbon
Esi grips
Xt M8120 cassette
Absolute black oval chainring
Xt M8120 trail pedals

The lighter wheelset, for trail riding, really improved the handling of the bike.
I've not spent a lot of money to have super-lightweight parts. Some are still the SLX stock parts, and the brakes are the stock deore 4pistons(i didn't find at the moment a good reason to upgrade them as they work perfect!)
The only xtr parts are the rotors in the new wheelset.

Overall the bike weight approx 12 Kg without pedals
This post only to say that I'm very very happy with my bike! 😁
The dream will be a factory fork and a Dpx2.... maybe in the future...

·
Registered
359 Posts
HI all, here is my Occam M30, rode it today after the last upgrade.
In Stock configuration was already good, now i found it even better.
This sum up the transformation of my Occam from the beginning:

Btlos 30mm carbon rims/DT swiss 350 36T (1500gr)
Kenda Hellkat/Helldiver ATC 29x2.40
XTR 180mm rotors
Oneup 180mm dropper
Ergon SM saddle
Renthal Apex stem + Fatbar lite carbon
Esi grips
Xt M8120 cassette
Absolute black oval chainring
Xt M8120 trail pedals

The lighter wheelset, for trail riding, really improved the handling of the bike.
I've not spent a lot of money to have super-lightweight parts. Some are still the SLX stock parts, and the brakes are the stock deore 4pistons(i don't find now a good reason to upgrade them as they work perfect!)
The only xtr parts are the rotors in the new wheelset.

Overall the bike weight approx 12 Kg without pedals
This post only to say that I'm very very happy with my bike!
The dream will be a factory fork and a Dpx2.... maybe in the future...

View attachment 1907159 View attachment 1907160 View attachment 1907161 View attachment 1907162
Very nice.
Is that the low profile rim on the BTLOS or the standard?
I had a set of those wheels on my last bike and really liked them. They took some hard riding without a problem. When I sold the bike the rims where still perfectly true.
If I decide to upgrade wheels or build a new set with my current hubs I will definitely be getting a set of BTLOS.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very nice.
Is that the low profile rim on the BTLOS or the standard?
I had a set of those wheels on my last bike and really liked them. They took some hard riding without a problem. When I sold the bike the rims where still perfectly true.
If I decide to upgrade wheels or build a new set with my current hubs I will definitely be getting a set of BTLOS.
Yes, they are the Btlos shallow low profile(height 18mm) internal 30mm
Mounted on Dtswiss 350 hubs 36T
Sapim CX ray spokes

Too early to say, but i like them! They seem have changed the character of the bike.

I will keep the stock M1900 as a second wheelset for more abuse/rough trails

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone switched to 170 cranks from 175 stock on the Occam? Any noticeable difference in pedaling performance when doing this switch? Trying to help reduce pedal strikes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you use the scale or it's your impressions? I've just got mine. Occam M10 size L, replaced cranks to eeWings and the scale shows 13.9kg (with 350grams pedals).
Pretty heavy.
Hi, i don't have a precise scale to weight the bike.
I simple read from an internet review that the stock M30 should weight approx 13,5Kg and from here i started only weighting the components i removed and the components i mounted new.
I will post an excel that i used in the upgrades...

However, i made today some weight test with a human scale (me and then me+bike), i've done this a couple of times as it's not very accurate....
Size L
13,1Kg ready to ride
with: bottle cage, Xt trail pedals(440gr), Garmin handlebar support + speed sensor + cadence sensor. (Should be approx. 12,5/12,6 kg. without these things)

(this shows that the 13,5kg stock read from the review was not accurate)

·
Registered
359 Posts
My L M10 w/ Fox 36 as I currently ride it.
31.59lbs
This is with
Bottle cage (no bottle for weighing).
Garmin 530.
Ergon GE1 grips.
Ergon SM Comp saddle.
4oz of Orange Seal in each wheel.
Not the lightest trail bike. I honestly was hoping it would weigh in less than my previous bike which was an aluminum Trance 2. That was 31.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My L M10 w/ Fox 36 as I currently ride it.
31.59lbs
This is with
Bottle cage (no bottle for weighing).
Garmin 530.
Ergon GE1 grips.
Ergon SM Comp saddle.
4oz of Orange Seal in each wheel.
Not the lightest trail bike. I honestly was hoping it would weigh in less than my previous bike which was an aluminum Trance 2. That was 31.
So it somehow confirms my findings. With standard XT crank it would be 14kg+
I haven't weighted it, but my friend's Rallon with similar spec feels lighter in hand 😃
I was hoping to achieve ~13kg easily, so need to fiddle more than I thought.

·
Registered
Orbea Occam 2020 M10 stock
278 Posts
M10 2020 Large, stock with HR2 and Rekon tires + Fox36 + Shimano spd M520 pedals = 13.94kg

M520 are 340g I think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
M10 2020 Large, stock with HR2 and Rekon tires + Fox36 + Shimano spd M520 pedals = 13.94kg

M520 are 340g I think. View attachment 1907446
Yep, and for 2021 they changed cassette and saddle to cheaper, heavier models - in EU at least.
Overall, bike feels great, so no drama, I'm just suprised that my Nomad4 was lighter :D
Now I'm just curious what's the real weight of Occam's frame, without damper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi all, finally received and built up my M10 with DVO and other parts, will share a picture tomorrow!

I looked through the Orbea Occam blue paper, but for the main pivot bolt no torque information is shown. Does anyone know what it is? The linkage bolts are 10 or 15Nm...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice, rather like the green and grey combination Wondering if I should shorten my cranks, need some copper coloured ones

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Orbea Occam 2020 M10 stock
278 Posts
Finally @olivierhacking !
Totally looking over that DVO Topaz. Just can't pull the trigger for some reason...let us know how it rides with the Topaz!

·
Registered
169 Posts
So, I never used the stock Fox Factory stuff... and thus I can't compare the two. In fact I will sell the Factory gear.

But I will say the DVO stuff feels super supple. Especially on brake bumps I noticed it, just likes to gobble them up. I went with the user guide recommended settings and need to start experimenting now, on both the Topaz and the Diamond. The Occam definitely needs some more air than is recommended for the Topaz in the user guide! I now have 210psi for my 90kg. (I pump it to 220, and it ends up with 10psi less... despite having the Topeak DXG shock pump that disconnects from the valve. But the bladder has such a small air volume that I lose almost 20psi! Not sure how to solve this). I will also add two volume spacers in the positive chamber to boost progression, definitely notice it needs some of that. I think the Occam is not very progressive.

Anyway, all I can say for now is that it feels smooth as butter ;)

561 - 580 of 691 Posts