Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1012 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks like a great bike and I think it fills a pretty different niche than the Oiz. Don't get carried away with the "TR" spec on the Oiz. The Oiz is an XC bike that you can ride trail on, but it's an XC bike first. You should choose the Oiz if you are going to be doing some XC and/or marathon racing and want something reasonably 'race-y' that can also pass as a trail bike as long as you aren't attempting to go full enduro-bro on it.

The Occam is a proper trail bike and while PB claims it starts at 26lbs (without pedals) and climbs well, I doubt you'd want to bring it to many XC races. You could of course, but I'm sure you'd be quite a bit slower. I'd get the Occam if I was looking for a trail bike first, still wanted something that climbs decent, but wasn't planning on racing it.

Pretty much everything above assumes I'm talking about the TR version of the Oiz since if you were considering an Occam instead I assume that was the Oiz model you were considering.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oiz TR is not a trail bike at all. Compared to Canyon Neuron and Trek Fuel Ex which I rode 2 weeks ago Oiz TR is an XC rocket. The Neuron and Fuel Ex were actually feeling pretty similar to 29" enduro bikes I rode as well in root sections that weren't too bad, but Oiz would feel pretty bad there. (I own and ride Oiz TR for month and a half now)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I wouldn't call it a trail bike in comparison to today's trail bikes with 140+ mm of travel but a few short years ago trail bikes were in the 120-130 range. Before I got my Oiz TR I was riding a 2015 Salsa Horsthief which was advertised as their 'go-anywhere trail bike'. It had a 120mm shock and 130mm fork.

After getting my Oiz my first thought was that it feels harsher and less capable on some of the more rugged descents than my Horsthief but my segment times don't back that up. I've been setting non-stop PRs since I got my Oiz. I expected them on the climbs but I'm surprised that I'm descending faster too.

Big caveat there is I didn't have a dropper on my Horsthief which would be unheard of for a trail bike today and probably accounts for most of the speed differential vs the Oiz TR. On the other hand, I had much beefier 2.4" tires on my trail bike and I feel a big difference between those and the stock 2.2" currently on the Oiz. I think swapping to a set of beefier 2.4" tires would make the Oiz feel a lot more trail-capable.

·
Registered
10,354 Posts
Bike looks to be a fantastic trail bike. Seems they carried over a lot of the Rallon design in pivot execution, hardware etc., and implemented some new stuff as well....the strut is interesting. Methinks a Rallon with F/R coil & "Enduro" spec would compliment a trail build Occam very very well for bigger mile or less aggressive riding. I want to try one stat!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bike looks to be a fantastic trail bike. Seems they carried over a lot of the Rallon design in pivot execution, hardware etc., and implemented some new stuff as well....the strut is interesting. Methinks a Rallon with F/R coil & "Enduro" spec would compliment a trail build Occam very very well for bigger mile or less aggressive riding. I want to try one stat!
I've seen rumor of a 170mm link update for the Rallon. I don't know if I buy that though. It could provide the more progressive rear I have from a very reliable source but that same source also mentioned making the front a bit longer. If it were confirmed it removes my overlap and I order an Occam today. Currently on a dual coil Rallon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a like new 2018 Ocaam TR M10. I don't dislike it but should have purchased an Oiz after coming from a hard tail. Anyone for a trade?
That's going to be a tough one due to the night and day difference of the three, 2019, 2018 Occam and Oiz, but maybe you get lucky?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
This is the coolest bike out right now, ticks sooo many of the boxes most folks want, including myself. Overfork this w/a 160mm Fox 36 (or sim) and you can absolutely rip up an enduro track, it's geometry is right in line with many enduro bikes out there. Stick with a 140 fox 34 (or sim) and some light wheels/tires and you got general trail ripper.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This will be my next bike, pretty sure now. Carbon or alloy version is open. I don't really care about the materials and I want a frame that is a little forgiving. Until now I couldn't find any information about the alloy frame. It seems only the carbon version was available at the press release. Just infos about the weight penalty would be enough.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
So there have been some reviews, all have been positive.

What is the standover? its not listed on the website, why would they leave that part out???

Also, didnt remember if the leverage ratio changed? is the new occam more progressive like i think it is? Seriously thinking of selling my new rallon just to sample this new rig

:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
What is the standover? its not listed on the website, why would they leave that part out???

Also, didnt remember if the leverage ratio changed? is the new occam more progressive like i think it is? Seriously thinking of selling my new rallon just to sample this new rig
:)
This article here talks about how the suspension ratios changed.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-orbea-occam-2020.html

Orbea left it out of the Geo charts (weird) but lists standover as 736mm, no mention of what size that is...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to report back,I just finished my first ride on the Oiz TR this weekend. I was an idiot and raced the Oz Trails Epic 30 Mile (Epic Rides) race on it as a shake down ride.i don't know that I would have finished on my Rallon, way I have it set up drives that mainiy, and would have been slower on an Occam. If I had not had a few new bike mechanical things, stem bolts and topcap bolts vibrating loose (seem to do it on every new bike I ride in the first few miles) I would have been in the top third and less than an hour off the overall, not too bad for an Endurobro in my opinion. The bike jumps like a dream and was remarkably composed through rocks at speed for what it is. The only negative I experienced was ability to brake, mainly due to tire selection but grip vs rolling resistance is always a trade off.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got my new Occam M-LTD this week, was promised Oct delivery end of July, got it on time. I upgraded from the last model Occam TR, which I liked but the new version is killer. Better shocks GRIP2/DPX2, XTR, goes downhill better and climbs a LOT better. Feels more capable in the techy stuff and nimbler at the same time.
Size wise I was hesitating between the M and L (I'm 5'10''), got the L and it's a good fit with the upright climbing position, was worried about the longer reach but it's spot on.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad to see this post. I'm about to order mine!

Do you happen to know the weight?

I'm shorter than you, at 5'8, so figure on a medium with 50mm stem. How do you find the reach with your large?

I'm a bit nervous coming off my Mojo 3 that the pedaling efficiency\firm feel won't be the same with the Orbea design. Any feedback?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's supposed to be 11.8kg but haven't weighed it, it's super good on the climbs, not far off my PR's with my XC rig w SPDs vs the Occam with flats on long climbs. It definitely feels very agile for 150/140mm suspension bike. The longer wheelbase also helps on the downhills. Still have to get used to the GRIP2 fork, feels good but there's some new dialling to learn... Huge difference with the DPX2 shock, super smooth.
Reach feels just right despite being on the shorter end of the recommended length for large. Think you'll be ok with medium, I had a medium Occam TR and it felt a little cramped, this feels just right. New models are a little longer in both reach & wheelbase. You definitely notice the better climbing ability with the steeper seat tube. Pedal efficiency is great even in full open mode on the shock & you can dial it back with the 3 way switch.

1 - 20 of 1012 Posts