Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Medium?
Joined
·
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a much nicer version of this today for the parts. (This is not my picture, but a nearly identical bike):



The frame/fork/headset/seatpost will be available to a good home next week. The paint is very good, but the post is a bit trashed. I'm pretty sure it's an 18". It seems smaller though.

It's also got an original pair of Spec. Ground Control Extreme gumwall tires that are in reasonable shape. If they're your favorite and you must have them I may be persuaded to part with them or trade for some other tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
I just picked up a much nicer version of this today for the parts. (This is not my picture, but a nearly identical bike):



The frame/fork/headset/seatpost will be available to a good home next week. The paint is very good, but the post is a bit trashed. I'm pretty sure it's an 18". It seems smaller though.

It's also got an original pair of Spec. Ground Control Extreme gumwall tires that are in reasonable shape. If they're your favorite and you must have them I may be persuaded to part with them or trade for some other tires.
Ah, the memories. The Rockhopper Comp I had from 1992 through 2003 had the same paint job. I have too many bikes right now, though...
 

·
Medium?
Joined
·
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bushpig said:
It had been parted out with XC Pro, Suntour bear trap pedals...
The Stumpjumper Team frame I'm building up originally came with an XC Pro gruppo, but I'm a bit partial to the XT parts because my '89 Diamondback Arrival had an XT kit.

What's really funny is that I have a newish Titus that would cost about $3500, and I'm equally excited about this Stumpy that I'm going to have $250 into. Maybe more...
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,654 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
The Stumpjumper Team frame I'm building up originally came with an XC Pro gruppo, but I'm a bit partial to the XT parts because my '89 Diamondback Arrival had an XT kit.

What's really funny is that I have a newish Titus that would cost about $3500, and I'm equally excited about this Stumpy that I'm going to have $250 into. Maybe more...
Oh yeah!

That's the same year Stumpy I had back in the day. My first 'real' mtb.

I had the black 'base' model with DX. The 'comp' had the XT, and the 'team' had the XC Pro.

Nice buy Eddy. I think I have the original catalog if you need to see it for period part correctness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
cegrover said:
Ah, the memories. The Rockhopper Comp I had from 1992 through 2003 had the same paint job. I have too many bikes right now, though...
too many bikes???? we dont say that around here. it's somewhere in the rulebook. :D
 

·
Medium?
Joined
·
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vdubbusrider said:
too many bikes???? we dont say that around here. it's somewhere in the rulebook. :D
My son came in from outside, through the garage, while I was browsing craigslist and my wife was doing dishes and proudly announced, "Dad! Do you know we have 20 bikes out there?" I stashed that craigslist window faster than a porn site at work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
If anyone is interested in a 1993 Stumpjumper M2 in what looks like decent used condition with all original parts, i've noticed a Mexican (i think) delivery guy in my neighborhood who rides one. I've tracked him down to the Sushi Yu restaurant on 181st Street in Washington Heights (NYC)...

if anyone feels like making him an offer.. I'll bet he's not a vintage MTB afficionado, but bought it from a pawn shop or the like.

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
My son came in from outside, through the garage, while I was browsing craigslist and my wife was doing dishes and proudly announced, "Dad! Do you know we have 20 bikes out there?" I stashed that craigslist window faster than a porn site at work.
Well, okay, maybe I don't have too many. After all, we're "down" to seven whole bikes and one parts frame. Heck, two bikes are my wife's! Of course, we only had three bikes and the parts frame up until June and I've sold four in the last two months or so. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
cegrover said:
Well, okay, maybe I don't have too many. After all, we're "down" to seven whole bikes and one parts frame. Heck, two bikes are my wife's! Of course, we only had three bikes and the parts frame up until June and I've sold four in the last two months or so. :)
You dont have too many until they fill your kitchen like EL ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
I had that exact bike, too. It's a 1991. I bought it while working at a mom and pop type shop, but soon went to the local high end shop. My first day there I rolled in on the Stumpy, and the head mechanic (in a totally non condescending way) told me he liked my bike, and that his commuter was the exact same thing. Dumbfounded, I did the only rational thing. I bought an Ibis :)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top