Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new nomad looks sick!

But I love my 5 spot so I need your help! My bike is perfect most of the time but a few times every ride I feel the limitaions of the stock RP23 shock.

I want to switch to a shock that is better performing (allow for all the travel to be used with less compression ramp up on big hits) and is more tunable than the stock shock.

I have heard mention of the monarch or even sending the RP23 to avalanche for there mods but I am still not clear on what is "best" for the 5 spot. Spending $100.00's on a new shock makes more sense than a new bike given that I love the bike most of the time!

I am 160 lbs. and ride very chunky, rocky trails most of time if any of that matters what direction I go with this.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
After watching the release video and seeing the detail pics, I would say ditch the Spot and get the Nomad! Of course that is if you have a bunch of spare cash.............

·
Registered
176 Posts
I currently own a Santa Cruz, but would love to buy another Turner some day. Come on Dave build us Turner fans the perfect bike! I would personally prefer it to be a mid travel carbon 29er. Seems Santa Cruz is just dominating the market these days.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,922 Posts
Can you live with single front chainring on the new nomad?

Monarch has been getting great reviews, the new Debonair can for the Monarch is interesting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. In all seriousness I am not ready to change bikes so I would like to explore shock mods to improve the ride of the 5 spot. I will look in to the monarch...anyone know if it is ready to ride out of the box or does it need some mods?

·
Registered
787 Posts
i'm assuming you have a DW spot....i was lucky enough to get a Monarch Plus from Push before they stopped making them. It really woke the bike up considerably, that being said most have claimed that the new Monarch Plus are just as good as the older Push ones. LL tune is what I hear for the DW. I also played around with a 27.5 up front with my 36 float lowered to 150, rode good, a bit to slack. Eventually switched out to a Burner with the Plus from my spot.....amazing!

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
The "Original RFX Place Holder" just got a whole lot better...
Heresy! Carefull what you say, or you may be ostricized by the faithfull.

To the O.P. you can get your shock tuned for way less that purchasing a $3,000 dollar frame. The new Monarch plus offers air spring refinements, but their damping is still primitive on everyone's scale. I owned two, 2013 models in different
sizes, and IMO, they quite frankly sucked.
Avalanche is doing an excellent job on many shocks right now. User reviews are very favorable.
If you have 3 grand to burn, please P.M. me and I will provide you my paypal address so you can throw your money away, if that is your desire.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm still rocking my 08 RFX IF I break it I'm leaning towards A Knolly Warden as a replacement. Almost pulled the trigger on a burner last fall but, decided against it. Updated the suspension instead (Monarch +, Lyrick, offset bushings) it elevated the bikes handling. I still would like a new 27.5 160mm DW link bike but would settle for the Knolly.
Not everyone is on the carbon bandwagon I broke a carbon seat-stay on an ASR in a crash still had to walk out and still had to pay to replace it; that rules out a M6. I'd rather have a Turner, Sea Otter is around the corner kind of want to see what happens. I know Dave toured Pivot last year before the M6 came out maybe he was talking things over with Chris and fine tuning the RFX prototype that he said was to expensive to produce. All speculation and wishful thinking on my part.

·
Registered
131 Posts
OP, I'm in a similar situation as you, happy with my ('11) 5 Spot except the shock...and guess I'm still holding out for a new Turner 6 spot :) My float CTD that came new with the frame in early '12 has deteriorated (harsher than it was when new), so I just decided to save some dough for a future big upgrade, and got into the queue with Avalanche to get the shock rebuilt and tuned. Some friends have had theirs done and rave about them (although they don't ride DW bikes). We shall see. I have an old Van RC coil as a backup and it works better than the CTD right now, even though it's 10+ years old and tuned for early RFX. Go figure.
Unfortunately the lack of front der on the Nomad is a showstopper for me. I need the low gearing to get up the hills and the big gearing for some of the fast downs. Not enough range in the 1x for me. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
You might consider the new Float X too if it fits. I was surprised how good it felt on the Mach 6 I rode at Ibike.,..... and Turner DW links have traditionally been better/plusher than Pivot's dw-link so maybe this could be the solution.

Having said that, Craig at Avalanche works wonders and is now working on the Float shocks so that might be a less expensive (and perhaps even better) option.

No interest in the Burner? I was surprised how much more plush my buddy's Burner feels than I remember my 5Spot feeling. Maybe it's the bigger wheel magic??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Float X too big. Quote from DT in this forum awhile back:

"The Float X is a BIG shock at the 'bridge' end. BIG! It will not come close to fitting anything currently in production and I would be worried about any of the older bikes as well. The rockers hit the top of the shock. The Plus will fit on current stuff and everyone that has ridden it loves it.

DT "

1 - 12 of 12 Posts