Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the most concentrated real world knowledge for nomads, so I am hoping for some fit advice from people riding the newer bikes. I have a carbon nomad on order right now. I am 6'1" but have a proportionately longer torso then legs. my inseam is around 32 inches. My current bike is a Large Niner Rip9. I run a 100mm stem and the toptube is 24.5". It fits right body wise but I am a re-convert to 26" wheels. 29" are not as versatile in my opinion. This nomad will be my all around bike, xc rides, oregon super-d series next year, as well as shuttles. I had the shop order me an xl carbon nomad based on my Niner dimensions. I would love to know it there are some other riders with a similar build and what size frame they ride, as well as their focus use for the bike. Fit is primary for me being that it will have to be pedaled often, and up hill. I have a dh bike, this nomad is for everything else. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I'm the same proportions and I fit and XL very well. I think it'll be the right fit, with a 50-70mm stem. I like the 60 on it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Clay and I always agree on this one...go for the XL and have fun. Look forward to some pics when you get it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like there are a number of people on this board who are around the L/XL margin per Santa Cruz and are liking the XL. I think I am going to change my L order to an XL so I can run a 50mm stem, being about 6'2" with a taller torso.

Anybody feel strongly the other way? I want this bike to be fun on climbs, epic rides, etc., but also really good for steep boulder gardens, stunts, drops and bike park jump trails. So I am a bit weary of the XL being unwieldy in the air. Its probably not that much of a difference, but having a bike that is easy to fly is key for me. Any thoughts on this aspect?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
ACC said:
Sounds like there are a number of people on this board who are around the L/XL margin per Santa Cruz and are liking the XL. I think I am going to change my L order to an XL so I can run a 50mm stem, being about 6'2" with a taller torso.

Anybody feel strongly the other way? I want this bike to be fun on climbs, epic rides, etc., but also really good for steep boulder gardens, stunts, drops and bike park jump trails. So I am a bit weary of the XL being unwieldy in the air. Its probably not that much of a difference, but having a bike that is easy to fly is key for me. Any thoughts on this aspect?
It's definately not unwieldy. We are talking about a little bit of top tube length - your seat will still be in the same place in relation to your BB, the bb height, HTA, CS length, etc aren't going to change. My thought is that if a bike fits you better, it will jump better because it is in proportion to you.
JMO YMMV IMO, etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thoughts exactly gticlay, I think I deff made the right call with the xl. Now santa cruz needs to get them and ship em out. They told the shop 6 weeks, to me that translates to at least 8. I will post pics once its built. I'm going to start getting some parts I need, like Hs, fork, and wheels. I know that I am and adult and all, but man it sucks being patient.

·
Ride Good or Eat Wood
606 Posts
the cracker said:
My thoughts exactly gticlay, I think I deff made the right call with the xl. Now santa cruz needs to get them and ship em out. They told the shop 6 weeks, to me that translates to at least 8. I will post pics once its built. I'm going to start getting some parts I need, like Hs, fork, and wheels. I know that I am and adult and all, but man it sucks being patient.
Suspect waiting is par for the course. Ordered my Nomad 2 when first released, took 3 month before it finally arrived........ however, well worth the wait, no matter how frustrating!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got my Nomad C this week, I'm 6'1" with 34" inseam, got a Large frame with a 100 mm stem.

So far only 1 ride, 8 km uphill at 8-10% grade, if it weren't for the 2.35 sticky Maxxis tires I would've climbed in the same time as my hardtail, so no complaints there. On the flip side, some sweet singletrack for another 8km or so .... it rips !!

I'm on the limit between a Large and an Extra Large, but the 100 mm stem puts a little more weight on the front for better climbing and I like the feel of a more compact frame on the DH, so I'm happy with it.

Just my $ 0.02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts