Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen them but a friend saw an officer installing new "No Bikes" signs on Shady Trail (Folsom) yesterday. And yes, I know it's always been officially closed - but there's been non-enforcement up till now.

Thanks trail gnomes: While you'll still ride it, it's hard to take kids (you know, the future of the sport) on that trail now with big new signs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There was a ranger tooling around on a dirt motorcycle a month ago in there. Nobody was ticketed to my knowledge. I personally saw him.

Last Friday I was with a group (of random riders non affiliated with any club or anything like that) that encountered equestrians at the north end of shady. The lead horse rider started to lecture us... but we didn't respond and just got our bikes to the side and were super nicey nice.

I guess those of us riding that trail plus the gnomes creating jumps and chutes around there is drawing attention to it?

I hope someday it will be "legitimately" open to bikes. Along the way perhaps we need to 'self police' a bit.

·
mtb'er
4,257 Posts
A buddy was running through there a few weeks ago and came upon several rangers taking photos of all the handiwork. They were not happy. If anyone on this forum knows who is doing the digging out there, please ask them to stop. Building stunts and jumps on an equestrian/pedestrian trail could be one of the least intelligent things I can think of (including KOM attempts on busy trails). It is exactly what anti-bike activists say we'll do if we are allowed on trails currently not open to bikes. This certainly won't help get this or other local trails opened through the current Road & Trail Management Plan that Folsom Lake SRA is allegedly working on.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This certainly won't help get this or other local trails opened through the current Road & Trail Management Plan that Folsom Lake SRA is allegedly working on.
My money says they'll get on the plan quick now that they have good excuse to ban bikes.

·
mtb'er
4,257 Posts
The process has completely stalled out, AFAIK. But it's hard to be banned from trails we are already banned from! ;)

The flip side to the stunts is it once again shows the need for some fun terrain for mountain bikers. Purpose built trails/features where equestrians and pedestrians can't go. But I do expect some backlash from this whole thing, especially if someone gets hurt because of a mt. biker.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This just chaps my posterior. This is a backyard run for me and I often take my kids and their friends riding here.now they need to get jobs at way too young to pay the fines.

I won't say anything about the stravatards that keep running kids off the trail.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just so I'm sure, are you guys talking about the "Slim Shady" trail that starts by the horse stables north of Lake Natoma?

I hope not! I just discovered that trail a few months ago and have been loving it....I had no idea we weren't supposed to ride it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That sucks. I've been riding that trail 2-3 times a week since March, and I've never come across a horse. In fact, I've only seen a couple of mountain bikers, and they were coming UP the trail (definitely not acting like jerks, going for KOMs, or building features).

It just seems like everyone should be able to use that trail with no problems. Boo hiss!

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Current legal access for mountain bikes for the trails that surround Lake Natoma are only the ones on the south side of the lake, the Hwy 50 side. The only thing legal for bikes on the north side are the dirt roads, no singletrack.

Even though a sh*tload of riders take to the north side trails every day doesn't make it legal, lax enforcement by the understaffed rangers doesn't make it legal either.

At any time they can crack down and ruin your day....consider this: if they decide to ticket you they have the option of confiscating your bike as evidence and holding it until your court date, which is usually a minimum of one month out. You want your bike impounded that long?

Also think of the fact that every mountain biker they ticket becomes a statistic against legalizing the trails....you may think it would show State Parks that there is a need for access, but the parks administrator mind doesn't think that way, all they see are scofflaws who have to be policed and/or eliminated from accessing the parks. If the rangers are out checking things out, like the probably kid-built jumps and trail features, then someone higher up sent them out to tend to those things, staffers who are closer to the policy making level. The negative side of mountain biking access is in their minds right now, probably not a good idea to give them any more to think about along those lines.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The negative side of mountain biking access is in their minds right now, probably not a good idea to give them any more to think about along those lines.
You're pretty much right on all counts. So, the "trail plan" for that area has been in review for how many years now? Last FATRAC meeting I attended it appears the district isn't returning calls inquiring about it any more. Limbo.

The new trails on Shady did MTBers no favors. But what the hell to do? Why can't the trail plan grow some legs?

·
Registered
131 Posts
No more singletrack on the north of the lake for me, now that I know. In fact, the 10-15 extra minutes it takes to drive to Cavitt Junior High for a Granite Bay ride are now definitely worth it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wonder if we could coordinate a work party to remove the features. I hate to see a persons efforts wasted but we don't need anymore negative attention for illegal trail use.

I am personally going to keep riding it like I have for the last 12 years, but I don't want some random jumps to cause full on enforcement patrol.

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if we could coordinate a work party to remove the features..
Yeah, if done without coordination with Folsom Lake SRA it would piss them off even more. If done with coordination with FLSRA, expect to wait years before the go-ahead.

If I didn't have kids in school I would seriously consider moving to a more bike-friendly area. This place is going backwards in terms of trails while other places are blowing up.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I wonder if we could coordinate a work party to remove the features. .....
Yeah, if done without coordination with Folsom Lake SRA it would piss them off even more. If done with coordination with FLSRA, expect to wait years before the go-ahead...
1. Mountains and mole hills. I know 2 people that were riding and ran into rangers on the trail just the other week while they (the man) were checking out said additions. One chatted for awhile expressing agreement in that builders were out of line and the other walked back to the fire road as directed. Having ridden along the AR off and on for the last many years I dont foresee any major enforcement anytime soon...

2. Work party? I think a party of one could decommission most of whats out there easy enough. Talk is cheap. And Ive had the same thought so yea, it could happen quit easily with a few phone calls and pm's... And I dont think said hypothetical work would be frowned upon? How could it be?

·
mtb'er
4,257 Posts
. And I dont think said hypothetical work would be frowned upon? How could it be?
It will probably be by the builders. And it'll likely return... unless someone can have a frank conversation with the perps. Isn't there somewhere near blue car they could put their skills to work? More gravity there.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It will probably be by the builders. And it'll likely return... unless someone can have a frank conversation with the perps. Isn't there somewhere near blue car they could put their skills to work? More gravity there.
All valid points. I was referring to 'the man' frowning upon any decommissioning.

If one were to go about such efforts, I would hope they would type up a note explaining the whys and that a mtb'er was responsible to avoid any finger pointing....

1 - 20 of 100 Posts