Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading, re-reading, and re-reading the 29 FS Shootout again, I keep getting hung on on a quote from Niner. "If you're a weight conscious, cross country racer, this might not be the right bike for you, but we're working on something for that rider that is really exciting."
So gents, what are you working on?

I have spent a lot of time looking, comparing, and reading about the Niner RIP and the Lenz Leviathon (4"). I am very impressed with both bikes, and finally decided to go with the Lenz because of my riding style and the trails I ride (Tucson, AZ). But, I keep getting hung up on the quote, and wondering if I should hold out to see what Niner is working on.
Anyone out there have some secret info they are willing to share?

Additionally, I love looking at pics of both of these bikes (RIP and Lev.) I'd be happy to see some additional pics/set ups.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
I've heard......

I've heard the next rig is going to be a shorter travel dual suspension bike more suitable to XC, focusing on lighter weight than the R.I.P. 9.

My source did not say if it was based on the same design as the R.I.P. 9, but it would surprise me if it wasn't, I just don't see Niner copping a design like a faux bar, or single pivot, but I could be wrong!

The flip side is: It's going to be hard to pare weight from a complicated design like the R.I.P. 9 has. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be dialed before it's released, as Niner has proven that they don't do anything half baked.

I'd look for something at Sea Otter, if it were me. ;)
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,503 Posts
I'm putting a new rear shock on the Lenz. The 3" Lenz test bike we had was clearly hampered by the rear DT shock on it that was difficult to control. It made the bike rough and bouncy.

I think we're getting a better DT shock and I'll put on an RP3 as well. I'm pretty sure we can get this bike under 25 lbs too.

fc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
francois,

I'm very interested to hear the results. Many of the negative comments seemed that they had to do with the shock feeling too stiff. BTW, thanks again for setting that up. The info is invaluable!

ted,
I also wondered about the shock set up on the new rig and if they'd continue to use the same set up as the RIP. I have to admit, it's not as pleasing to the eye for me (a bit complicated), but I hear it is fantastic.

A chime in from Niner would be wonderful. Any hints?
Not sure how long I can wait. The 4" Lenz is looking awfully good!
 

·
Tattooed Scumbag
Joined
·
151 Posts
Does anyone have any info on this???? I am working on this very issue and lookin for a little help...
 

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
Good choice on the Lenz. You won't regret it.




I modified my RP23 by putting the larger volume air sleeve (comes stock on Sultan RP23's). Haven't ridden any trails with the mod but can definetely feel the extra plushness. I had a 3" Lev before and the 4" Lev is just awesome for AZ trails. My bud has a RIP and it's a GOOD ride too. I like the fact that the Lev is a lighter frame and can be built up XC light but still handle rough terrain. Post pics and a ride report when you get the bike...
 

·
Hairshirt Rider
Joined
·
1,879 Posts
Mattyd said:
After reading, re-reading, and re-reading the 29 FS Shootout again, I keep getting hung on on a quote from Niner. "If you're a weight conscious, cross country racer, this might not be the right bike for you, but we're working on something for that rider that is really exciting."
So gents, what are you working on?
This should tie it altogether http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=287757
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow!!!! This really makes it tough. Wonder what the weight of the frame is? And cost?
Niner definitely has a better price than Lenz. Decisions, decision !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
No Way!

:eekster: :eekster: Holy crap, that's some awesome pics, tell me you didn't actually make that :eekster: :eekster: Unreal HTF :eek: :thumbsup: guess I've still got a lot to learn huh.
cycljunkie said:
Good choice on the Lenz. You won't regret it..........



.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
I have both, the rip9 and the 3" lev. The lev is definately more cross countryish. I love both bikes, and feel they are for different purposes..the Lev is my race bike, steeper geometry, quicker handling, better accelerating, and just plain faster.The rip is my every day bike. Its better on steep rollers and small jumps, more forgiving, faster in rock gardens, and generally more plush, but not as fast . Both are fun. Keep in mind, I'm riding east coast technical single track with lots of rocks and roots. Depending upon the terain you ride, one may be better than the other for you. Both companies have great CS. Cant go wrong with either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Lenz all the way

Mattyd said:
Niner definitely has a better price than Lenz. Decisions, decision !
Niner may have a better price because they are not manufactured in the US. Lenz does all of his design and fabrication in house in Colorado. Check the price of the Turner and Ellsworth which are also made in the USA, both higher than the Lenz.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TONYACCURSO said:
I have both, the rip9 and the 3" lev. The lev is definately more cross countryish. I love both bikes, and feel they are for different purposes..the Lev is my race bike, steeper geometry, quicker handling, better accelerating, and just plain faster.The rip is my every day bike. Its better on steep rollers and small jumps, more forgiving, faster in rock gardens, and generally more plush, but not as fast . Both are fun. Keep in mind, I'm riding east coast technical single track with lots of rocks and roots. Depending upon the terain you ride, one may be better than the other for you. Both companies have great CS. Cant go wrong with either.
I know, I know. Actually, I've heard this from a few people and it's pissing me off because I really want one of each:madman: Why can't I make more $
 

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
jl said:
Still livin' the 3" life. It's not that bad... :)




Nice pics! That's the beauty of the Leviathan. They can handle a lot more than what people think. I just modified my RP23 by adding the larger volume air sleeve (the one the spec on a Sultan). Man what a difference! Very linear feel to the shock stroke...
 

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
Joined
·
2,066 Posts
SCHomer said:
Niner may have a better price because they are not manufactured in the US. Lenz does all of his design and fabrication in house in Colorado. Check the price of the Turner and Ellsworth which are also made in the USA, both higher than the Lenz.

.
The build quality of the Lenz is some of the best I've seen. Welds are just beautiful. The new 3" RIP looks very cool. I think I'd still go with the Lenz if I had to do it all over...
 

·
climb
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
cycljunkie said:
I just modified my RP23 by adding the larger volume air sleeve (the one the spec on a Sultan). Man what a difference! Very linear feel to the shock stroke...
Can you provide more information on this modification, either here, or in a new thread? How, Why, Whom, etc. :)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top