Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all,

Thought I'd post a few pics of my recent Rip build. I haven't seen many that are choosing to run the Duc32(29) so I thought I'd live on the edge a bit and get the *big* axle to go with the *big* wheels...just seemed fitting.

I've only had the opportunity to take it out for a short spin but Oh My Goodness what a beautiful setup. Instantly I realized I could ride the thing all day...and well into the night if the mood struck. Could be the beginning of a beautiful epic relationship :thumbsup:

The pics were taken the "morning after" the build night. First few were in Garden of the Gods (was fitting for the bike!) and the second few out East. Look closely, you'll see the snow-capped Pikes Peak (14.110ft) in the background. Yes, the stickers are still on the Juicy levers and the seatpost is the old one from my GF, the Thompson hadn't quite arrived yet.

If there is anyone in the Colorado Springs area that would like to take a Lg Rip out fitted w/the Duc, feel free to shoot me an email and we'll see what we can do. Trails are pretty nasty/muddy still with the continual snow-melt but I feel a gorgeous Spring coming on...

Roll in Peace,

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Get out there and ride that beast

Very cool setup. No pun intended. I just got my RIP 9 last week as well. I especially like the the Maverick and the wheels. However, I'm not sure what stopping you from riding unless you just don't want to get that nice looking bike dirty.
I lived in the Springs for 8 years and can remember riding Palmer and Captain Jacks when the trail was completely snowed over. The bike will get dirty but it's only sand. There's no real mud in Colorado Springs. Besides, it's so dry up there the crispy snow gives you traction. Those knobbies you got will work just fine. I say get out and ride that beast at Palmer and let us know how it went. Oh yeah don't forget to bring a jacket. ;-)Cheers and Congrats on the new bike.

Attachments

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx!

I haven't been able to ride due to being down with one of the nasty upper chest/head colds going around...and still rehabilitating a bit from a fractured T8 incurred when I flipped by "other 29er" (Bianchi Cross) and had a very rude, unintentional impact w/terra firma. Also had AC seperation on top 4 ribs, left side.

On the mend though and should be stress testing both the bike and myself really soon. Yes, Colorado Springs has a great trail selection but I think you haven't had the opportunity to run into some of our finest clay-based mud...it'll stop your wheels from turning in just a few short revolutions! I live up against Ute Valley Park and the trails are off-limits for now. My first short ride was on the edge of the park and you should see how muddy it got. Sorry Medicine Wheel, I vow to do a bit of trail maintenance in return for my short foray...

I'll be leading our Sunday Social Ride today (Sunday) for the Colorado Springs Cycling Club on the bike. I feel a few stair-drops and off-the-beaten-path excursions @Colorado College coming on :D (That's where I flipped my cross bike & sustained injuries!)

·
Registered
16,141 Posts
Aye god, what a gorgeous bike. I think I would set one up just like that if I were to buy one.

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheels...

Industry Nine wheels w/DT 7.1 rims

Seemed like the best choice out there. The I9 guys are the best and talk about a beautifully built product. Between the frame, the wheels and the fork, I can say I've never owned such an awe-inspiring rig. Even the Duc came w/matching blue graphics that compliment the Atomic Blue hue :D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I completely forgot about Ute Valley and the clay mud. You're absolutely right. What a fun little park that is when it's dry. Man, I miss the Springs. It really is a cyclists paradise for Road and MTB. I hope you know how lucky you are. I would live there again in a second. That says a lot coming from a guy that was born and raised for 21 years in San Diego. Have fun riding the trails, hope the rehab from the injuries goes well and stay safe. Thanks for the post and the pics. Cheers!

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
twobytandem said:
I'll be leading our Sunday Social Ride today (Sunday) for the Colorado Springs Cycling Club on the bike. I feel a few stair-drops and off-the-beaten-path excursions @Colorado College coming on :D (That's where I flipped my cross bike & sustained injuries!)
Damn I have to go to Denver this afternoon to see my gf otherwise I'd come with. Where you going? I road Stratton/The Chutes yesterday.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
beat me to it!

I am building the same frame/fork combo (colors too, minus the red). Only difference is gonna be the wheels.

Everything is sitting in front of me waiting for the wheels to get laced up.

Glad to see its riding like a dream! Great minds think alike.

I'll be posting some pics in week or so.

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Maverick?

How do you like the Duc32? I've heard either really good or really bad things (depends on who's talking). Some say the fork is too plush. Others had problems with the thru-axle. Just wanted to get more feedback... Damn sexy ride. My buddy has the same color Rip and he likes it.

·
Biker Beau
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She rides......excellent

Thank you for all the positive comments, the Rip turned out even better than I had expected. Did about a 15 mile ride today and I was impressed at how balanced the bike feels while scooting along. Turn in with the 29" wheels is so damn stable & tracking with the Duc is amazing. My first experience owning one but I'm not worried at all.

The Duc32(29) had 4.5" of plush travel but I knew that going into it. I have heavier weight oil in the fork at the recommended level, might end up playing with that a bit once I get some more challenging rides in. Fork bob is minimal at best, even sprinting out of the saddle up a roadway close to downtown. Can't ask for anything better than that and the rear is as active but bob free as I've heard.

The Duc fork was a very purpose-driven choice, I'm horribly addicted to thru-axle forks, being ~220lbs and I value steering precision. Have one mouted (Pike) on our mtn tandem and once you go thru, there is no going back. The Duc fork has a few quirks...but then so do I so I figured it would be a great match. I'll post more long term once I get to abusing it a bit. Seems to love stairs though... :D

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Now that looks pretty damn close to an "Ultimate" build!

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Here is a funny one for everyone. So I have to stop by my favorite coffee shop in Colorado Springs, the Coffee Exchange this afternoon. As I walk in I see this bike PARKED RIGHT OUT FRONT. I walk in and the owner is the only one in the place. I introduced myself and we ended up talking for awhile. Kinda funny since I have never met in person anyone from these forums. Good guy and looks like we'll be riding together soon....oh and I happen to be a perfect fit for a test ride on this beautiful machine right down to weight. Thanks Alan. Nice meeting you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts