Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
membership renounced
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running an older Nexus twist shifter on my Alfine 8 speed (501) for several years, but it's getting a little worn.

Seems the new Nexus twist shifters are different in appearance at the least, but did they switch them up the way they did with the Alfine's with a reversed shift pattern?

·
membership renounced
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bahhh, found one on ebay in Germany. New old stock, expedited shipping.

If anyone knows the answer, still be good to document it here for future reference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't like the twist-grip shifter because it had detents that were hard to feel while riding with thick gloves on in the colder months. I replaced the original with a trigger-shifter and have been much happier with shifting performance.
As far as I know, Nexus hubs are "low-normal" (moves to higher gears with increasing cable tension) while Alfine hubs are "high-normal". Assuming the cable moves the same distance per shift for both Nexus and Alfine (I think it does), Nexus and Alfine shifters are interchangeable... the only difference is that the numbers are reversed when using an Alfine shifter with a Nexus hub.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.