Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Ole said:
Sub Kilo disc brake tubulars is nothing new. Sub Kilo clinchers, on the other hand. :)

My clinchers ar 954g.

Ole.
Sorry Ole,
i don't know you nor do i have any experience with those Innolite rims BUT there is a well known wheelbuilder in germany that just lately reviewed the Innolites and didn't leave even a hair of positifs:
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpost.php?p=6625534&postcount=44
According to him these rims are extremely soft, to a degree he says it could be dangerous and lead to premature spoke failure because they deform under load.

Anyway - those AX rims might be superlight but Tubulars are a niche, not too practical and there's not many tires available nor are tires that light as well. Still interesting to see where things are going...how much lighter parts can be made out of carbon. 1000g is already superlight for road wheels so i'm still a bit undecided if i can find this positive or just ridiculous on a MTB.

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
There seems to be no big issues with the Innolites. Friends of mine have done half a season competing on them, I test road them, felt stiff enough for my 80 kgs, and a lot stiffer than the Notubes. So Nino, got any practical experience with them?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
They are indeed softer than the Race 7000 rim, maybe 30% or so, but I've managed to build the wheels so that I don't get any spokes loosing tension even during large sideways movements of the rim. It took a lot of work to get the rim tension high, but they are now fine for my 80kg off road. I have no worries about competing on them next season.

Ole.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No you should have no worries Ole. They already got some championship medals in the Veteran class here in Sweden. I've seen my friend do very stupid things with his and they hold up straight. My feeling is that the wheelset are stiffer than Notubes, could it be the higher spoke tension that does it?-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.