Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Iron Horse Quantum II has hit its final days and I am in need of a new bike. I do mostly XC and don't really know where to start looking. I went to Performance today and they tried to get me to buy some Mongoose hardtail for 699, but I wasn't really sold on it. Any advice for something under 850 if it were to be a little more though, that is ok too. I'd also prefer a hardtail, but that's just because I have never owned a full-suspension, so please try and help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
You want to stay hardtail at that price. 850 will get you a nice hardtail instead of a crappy FS. I second the rockhopper, its a nice bike. The comparable trek/gf is more expensive.

This is a personal opinion, but I like to stick with the major brands, gf/trek, cdale, specialized. I don't like "mail order" because you get stuck when there is problem. Most shops around here don't sell Haro, KHS, or anything like that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
throw in a little bit more $$ and you could get yourself a nice Kona HT, caldera etc... if you can get a lbs with kona retail...specialized makes nice bikes tho, i would second the rockhopper

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
233 Posts
I'll 3rd the Rockhopper. Great bike for the price. Love mine!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Go to several shops, ride all the HTs they have in your price range (the upper level of it, not the $400 bikes). It should get you a good mix of the different brands. Then, choose the one that feels the best.

My vote's for the Rockhopper, but I have Specialized bikes and like them. However, what's good for me isn't necessarily good for you, so give all the rest of the brands a fair try. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going this weekend to a local shop to check out what Specialized has to offer. I am also curious as to what Haro has to offer since I have had such great reliability with my Backtrail X2. Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on my way to look at the Jamis Parker 1 and Dakar XCT 1... both out of my price range in the store, but Jenson has them both really cheap;) anything bad to say about Jamis?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i might order the Parker from Jenson, but i was just curious to how it would come in the mail if it came assembled

1 - 11 of 11 Posts