Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I am looking for a mtb for off road triathlon races, which consists of 30km mtb. It will be my first bike , but I am sure in time I will love to bike longer distances.

My question is between three bikes, I am sure there are much more options but I have to decide at one point.

1) https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3282
2) https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3171
3) Specialized Bicycle Components

My main question is should I go for a woman frame? (guess i don't need to mention I am a woman:) I want to have a good performance on the races this is my priority.
thanks in advance

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
Don't know much about the Canyons, but they look nice. The Fate you're looking at is a nice bike. I know a rider (female) that races one and does very well on it. Of course it's more the indian than it is the arrow, but that bike will not hold you back so long as it fits.

Some WSB bikes have forks that are tuned for lighter riders, and that could be a plus for you if you're in that size range. That carbon frame may have a little more compliance so it isn't too stiff for lighter riders as well. Those are questions you should ask the dealers about their bikes. Ask them what makes those specific bikes better for you. the Canyons don't appear to be WSB. Sometimes it just means they have slightly different top tube lengths (or other geometry numbers) and pretty colored paint jobs and grips. here is what Specialized claims about their WSB bikes:

Specialized Bicycle Components

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you can't seem to find a woman specific bike, then a smaller mens would work fine. All my friends that are women (except one), all ride men's bikes with no problems. Your front suspension can be tuned to work for you by your LBS. You can always adjust the cockpit to fit you with a shorter stem or higher rise handlebar, along as you find a frame that fits you.

I also saw that you're from Belgium. Ever thought of a Ridley bike, which is a Belgium company? There is a bike dealer out here that carries them and I got to cruise one around the block and its a nice feeling bike. Something like the Ignite C20 is around the same price as the bikes you've listed. Mountainbike: IGNITE C 20 1420D

·
Registered
14,058 Posts
I followed the development of the Canyon carbon bike and would consider it a frontrunner along with the Trek Superfly 9.6. I like the 7.9 for good value. In Trek I like the 9.6 with a couple upgrades. SID RLT Motion Control DNA damper. It fits right in. And XT cassette. Both bikes would benefit from wheelsets eventually.
Demo if you can.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Have you done any mountain biking before?

A lot of off-road tri courses are pretty soft-serve. But by time, triathlons are frequently a majority-cycling race. You might want to just get a bike to enjoy riding, and revisit competition next season.

At least ride the course before you sign up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts