Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence about getting a new hartail (scott scale?) or a new road bike (intense fenix, ibis silk?).

I already own a 2001 Intense Tracer, well dressed at 26 lbs, and old road bike, a Tommasini prestige (with crapy parts), which is a little too big for me, but rideable.

I race the NORBA sports class in New England with finishes usually in the top five. Courses here are varied from rocky/rooty technical (for which my tracer serves me very well) to fast fire road courses (where a new hardtail would be better). I also ride with the local bike shop on the weekends every so often and get the looks that only roadies can give you when you show up with non shaven legs, full fingered gloves, mtb shoes, and a old beat up bike :rolleyes:. I am hoping to maybe and perhaps break into expert next year. This will most likely be my only purchase for quite a while!!!

Thus, tocontinue racing and hopefully getting better, a hardtail would help me, but also starting to ride the road more often, to get better a mtb racing, a new road bike would be great. If only I could buy both....

So I am looking for your financial support :thumbsup: or any thoughts or recommendations about which choice to make would be greatly as well!

Ps:I cross posted this question in the 'new bike section' but am not getting any responces as I think I asked the wrong question, in the wrong forum.

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
It doesn't sound like you race for a team currently. I think you should join a team with a good shop sponsorship/team bike deal and buy both.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
iamandy said:
It doesn't sound like you race for a team currently. I think you should join a team with a good shop sponsorship/team bike deal and buy both.
Actually I just got invited to ride with a team, but expect the prices to not go down that much that I can afford both (sadly).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Road Bike, ok, ok, Burn me for it but that is what u need more man.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Road Bike ...easy decision. If you really want to make th make the big move up to expert you need a lot of good quality training time on a road bike that fits you. There is a reason that all the Pro's train on a road bike.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Roadie for sure.

For one, it sounds like you need to replace the current delapidated ride and secondly training is much easier (and in most cases more convenient) on the road, so why not have a nice bike to rack up all those miles on. Especially since you are thinking about moving to expert.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
called my lbs...

iamandy said:
Called my team's lbs and they stated they would get me a loaded cannondale six13 for cheap (not cheap enough for me to able to buy both though)! Sounded really good and with the input here (thanks!) I thought I had made up my mind, but then I surfed over to the Cannondale website and saw info on their new Taurine...boy is that looking pretty sweet. Finally some competition to the scott scale.

Anyways, thanks for the input. Thinking long term, I do think I really need a good road bike. Now if I could import some hills.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.