Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a road cyclist ( proud member of roadbikereview.com :D ) and I just decided to build a MTB myself because I miss offroading. I just finished building my latest road bike and so I have no problem putting any bike together. My problem however, is that my knowledge of MTB components is very little...if any at all. I got a very nice hardtail frame, but now my quest for components begin. I'd like this bike to be primarly for hardcore XC. I need help :confused:

Derailleurs/Shifters/Brakes
How does SRAM X.9 compare to Shimano XT? Would you recommend it over Shimano?

Handlebar/Stem/Steatpost/Crankset
Would you recommend Race Face (Deus), Holzfeller, or FSA? Other?

Brakes
Would you go with cable or disk? Advantages?

Thanks

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
firstoff, what kinda frame do you have?

get hydro disks. best thing in the world.

i havnt tried sram but its spose to be the shiz so if you can id check it out.

for your fork look at the marz marathon or allmountain if you really plan on hardcore xc-ing or the fox talas or floats are both great. if you have the money be a badass and buy a 36! lol

make sure for tires you get at least 2.3s up front for more traction. if you want to push around more rubber then go for it. i just 2.5 DH minions for my epic rides with about 25-30psi. granted theyre a ***** to get up the hill, coming down is soooo worth it.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
kmfdm said:
I am a road cyclist ( proud member of roadbikereview.com :D ) and I just decided to build a MTB myself because I miss offroading. I just finished building my latest road bike and so I have no problem putting any bike together. My problem however, is that my knowledge of MTB components is very little...if any at all. I got a very nice hardtail frame, but now my quest for components begin. I'd like this bike to be primarly for hardcore XC. I need help :confused:

Brakes

Thanks
You should probably post this on general discussion or the beginner board. On Downhill/freeride, people will likely steer you into a heavy bike that is overkill for your intended use.

Disk brakes are great for everyone, and I agree that unless you live in Kansas, you will want them. SRAM vs XT is like Mac vs Windows, but both work great. Post more info like the type of frame you have, how heavy you are, and where you live so people will have an idea of what kind of parts will be most suitable for you.

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Sasquatch said:
You should probably post this on general discussion or the beginner board. On Downhill/freeride, people will likely steer you into a heavy bike that is overkill for your intended use.

Disk brakes are great for everyone, and I agree that unless you live in Kansas, you will want them. SRAM vs XT is like Mac vs Windows, but both work great. Post more info like the type of frame you have, how heavy you are, and where you live so people will have an idea of what kind of parts will be most suitable for you.
I live in Eastern Kansas. Disc brakes are a big help. Somebody has never ridden the white trail at Clinton before...lots of short, intense climbs with lots of rocks and boulders and then a few good downhills on the other side. No real downhilling, but some of the roughest XC I've ever ridden. Only Porcupine Rim is tougher in my experience (I've been to Moab a couple of times) Kansas isn't as flat as everyone thinks it is, at least in the Eastern part where it was glaciated eons ago and has lots of steepy rocky hills. As for Western Kansas, you'd be lucky to see bikes out there at all, let alone disc brakes. It's just a place to drive thru to get to Colorado.

Anyway, get Avid mechanicals. Best brakes I've ridden, inlcuding nearly all of Hayes' hydros and mechs, and some Magura stuff. Hope is pimp $hit tho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Andrewpalooza. I was thinking of going all SRAM for the drivetrain and I was checking out the Avid mechanical. So, I guess I have my drivetrain and brakes picked out.

SamL3227, I checked out the Marz Marathon and it's in my price range, so I got that picked out.

For the handlebar, stem, seatpost, and crankset, do you guys recommend Race Face (Deus) or TruVativ(Holzfeller)?

Wheel wise, what's a good set in the $400-500 range (compatible with the Avid disk brakes)?

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
kmfdm said:
Thanks Andrewpalooza. I was thinking of going all SRAM for the drivetrain and I was checking out the Avid mechanical. So, I guess I have my drivetrain and brakes picked out.

SamL3227, I checked out the Marz Marathon and it's in my price range, so I got that picked out.

For the handlebar, stem, seatpost, and crankset, do you guys recommend Race Face (Deus) or TruVativ(Holzfeller)?

Wheel wise, what's a good set in the $400-500 range (compatible with the Avid disk brakes)?
Stem and handlebar is all going to be personal choice, and the crankset is going to be determined by what riding you are doing. For just about everything, I'd go with Truvativ Stylo Team, which is very light, and, more importantly, ISIS drive. With that big of a price range for wheelsets, I'd go for Mavic Crossmax, strong and pretty damn light. Disc compatible too, obviously. I'm probably going to buy a Marzocchi Marathon Race one of these days...

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Stem and handlebar is all going to be personal choice, and the crankset is going to be determined by what riding you are doing. For just about everything, I'd go with Truvativ Stylo Team, which is very light, and, more importantly, ISIS drive. With that big of a price range for wheelsets, I'd go for Mavic Crossmax, strong and pretty damn light. Disc compatible too, obviously. I'm probably going to buy a Marzocchi Marathon Race one of these days...
stem and handle bar are personal choice... we can't tell you what sweep/rise you want or what length/rise stem you want.

crankset, i would go either stylo or holzfeller depending on what type of riding you will be doing.

isn't isis standard now? don't worry about if it's isis or not...

as for wheelsets, i'd go deemax (but that's just becase they're yellow), but seriously - i'd look into the crossmax or a custom wheelset...

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
I live in Eastern Kansas. Disc brakes are a big help. Somebody has never ridden the white trail at Clinton before...lots of short, intense climbs with lots of rocks and boulders and then a few good downhills on the other side. No real downhilling, but some of the roughest XC I've ever ridden. Only Porcupine Rim is tougher in my experience (I've been to Moab a couple of times) Kansas isn't as flat as everyone thinks it is, at least in the Eastern part where it was glaciated eons ago and has lots of steepy rocky hills. As for Western Kansas, you'd be lucky to see bikes out there at all, let alone disc brakes. It's just a place to drive thru to get to Colorado.

Anyway, get Avid mechanicals. Best brakes I've ridden, inlcuding nearly all of Hayes' hydros and mechs, and some Magura stuff. Hope is pimp $hit tho.
Sorry, I was guilty of using Kansas to represent some pancake flat area. I should have said that unless you live in the Salt flats of Nevada, you will want Disk brakes. I see people doing what I did regularly, and always like to see the myths proved wrong. Any area that has had prior glacial activity has plenty of small ups and downs, which make for some of the funnest, high speed trails.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
kmfdm said:
I have the x9 setup, and used to ride xt rapidfire shifters on xtr derailers. personally I like sram a whole lot more.
the only components that really matter in terms of quality are the crankset since it is not only the heaviest component, but also endures the most stress. Any high end crank will do you fine. raceface makes nice cranks, as do many other companies.

as far as the stem handlebar seatpost just figure out what fits you right... from there it's all a matter of how much you want to pay to lose weight on the components.
Brakes
I'd go with disk just because they are AWESOME in the mud, dont wear the rims, and offer tons of modulation and clamping force. if you're looking for superlightweight, a nice set of V-brakes will do you just fine (plus they'll be cheaper)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.