Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finished development of the new 4*XP-G LED engine ELT41. Main features include:
  • Luminous output – 1000+ Lm including all losses (1500 Lm LED manufacturer’s rating)
  • LED type – 4 * Cree XP-G R5
  • Voltage range 5.6...12.6V, 2S2P or 3S2P 18650 battery pack recommended
  • Estimated run time at full power from 2S2P pack - about 3 hours, at low mode - 7.5 hours
  • MR11 size 35mm diameter MCPCB, fits 16.5mm height LEDIL quad optics and 10mm height Khatod optics
  • 11 deg FWHM with LEDIL CUTE4-SS optics – good throw, similar to popular Regina optics.
    Manually assembled prototype boards on the pictures below, high-quality factory assembled would follow.

The main design idea – provide low-cost high-performance LED engine for popular MR11 enclosure size, including Marwi, Magicshine and many others.
Design include:
  • Optimized high-efficient boost driver with shielded inductor and high switching frequency.
  • Programmable thermal foldback.
  • Low resistance thermal path, large aluminium thermal sink.
  • Both power interruption and separate momentary switch control modes supported. By default 3 modes – low, high and strobe.
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • In-circuit firmware programming connector for easy customization.

First tests was done with simple aluminium case from MJ-836. It have 43mm outer diameter, 35.5mm inner and ELT41 engine with LEDIL optics fits perfectly.

Full bike light complect looks like this, MJ-828 battery with backlight display can also be used

We have tested this light on night bicycle tracks, compared with MJ-808/MJ-836 P7 light and MJ-816 dual P7/Cree light.
First impressions - LEDIL Cute-4SS lense with XP-G is extremely good as cycle light and easily outperform MJ-808/MJ-836 P7 lights. It provides almost uniform light from short and long distances - up to 50-70 meters.

Beamshots will follow.

Nothing is for sale for now. Appropriate classified ad as required by forum rules:
https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=56530

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Very nice option. Thanks for building this module. Keep us informed when it is available for sale and please place an ad in the classifieds section of mtbr.
Might also recommend that you make optics available on your site/ad.
Alot of people are looking for a one stop shopping experience and chasing optics all over the internet can be challenging unless you know where to look.;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very interesting looking. Whats the microcontroller? do I see some spair pins? I am wondering wether it could be interfaced to SparkFuns Ant Module for radio control.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goldigger said:
Battery pack looks like a right beast..try strapping that to your stem..
:D
Easy :) Can-like battery pack have appropriate pocket with wide strap. Modern MJ-828 pack also have strap included, also rubber on the bottom side. Both pattery packs fully waterproof up to IP67.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ifor said:
Very interesting looking. Whats the microcontroller? do I see some spair pins? I am wondering wether it could be interfaced to SparkFuns Ant Module for radio control.
ATTINY13 microcontroller used and yes, it have 2 spare pins, used only for in-circuit programming. I have checked ANT protocol description and probably yes, LED engine can be controlled over the air with ANT protocol and appropriate RF receiver module. Main problem will be RF antenna location, as it probably would not work inside the aluminium light case.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Perhaps a stupid question, but with the separate optics (rather than a reflector that surrounds the LED), no separate reflector is needed?

Edit: One more question, how is the whiteness of the light in comparison to the MS900? The only complaint I have with MS is that the white LED causes white blindness against light ground color on the trail. This is a complaint that myself and the other 7 people with Magic Shine in my riding group have. Wearing amber lensed glasses helps with this, but are these LEDs available in a less blinding white?

I like!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chromagftw said:
Estimated run times based on said power supply?
Similar to MJ-808/MJ-836 P7 lights - about 2.5 hours at full power, 7-8 hours in low mode.
Driver efficiency is more than 90%, LED current is 1100mA, total LED power about 13.5W.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
isleblue65 said:
Perhaps a stupid question, but with the separate optics (rather than a reflector that surrounds the LED), no separate reflector is needed?
are these LEDs available in a less blinding white?
Yes, you does not need any additional reflector.
Yes, XPG white LEDs available in three main colors: cool white, natural white and warm white. Natural white usually looks better for bike lights and did not have white blindness, typical for cool white LEDS with high color temperature.
Some LED tints comparison:
http://jtice.com/review/lights/led_tints/

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Eltehs said:
Yes, you does not need any additional reflector.
Yes, XPG white LEDs available in three main colors: cool white, natural white and warm white. Natural white usually looks better for bike lights and did not have white blindness, typical for cool white LEDS with high color temperature.
Some LED tints comparison:
http://jtice.com/review/lights/led_tints/
Thanks for the link. great info!

"One interesting thing I found was that every agree that when the neutral AND the warm tint led were used together, that it produced the best color, and especially the best color retention. I think this was mainly due to the fact that is created a much wider range of color temp."

I'm curious as to what is the color temp the P7 M.S. uses? It would be great to have an XPG with a different color than the P7 used in M.S. so you could get the best range of color in your lights.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
MtbMacgyver said:
I think you mean MR11 (35mm), not MR16 (50mm).

Which ledil optic are you using. Is it the Cute-4-SS designed for the XR-E? I've used that optic and it does work on XPGs. I'm not aware of a Ledil 35mm quad optic design specifically for the XPE/G.

that will be the GT4
http://www.ledil.com/datasheets/DataSheet_GT4-XP-G.pdf

I have tried one last week and was not impressed:nonod:

·
Registered
752 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
that will be the GT4
http://www.ledil.com/datasheets/DataSheet_GT4-XP-G.pdf

I have tried one last week and was not impressed:nonod:
You're right, I should have said a reasonably narrow quad optic designed specifically for the XPE/G. I've played with the GT4 and the narrowest beam angle makes a good wide flood. The GT4 is fairly distinctive looking and I can tell from the picture that it's not a GT4. It looks like the Cute4-SS designed for the XR-E. Unless there's a new Cute4 designed for the XPG that's not listed on the Ledil web site.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MtbMacgyver said:
I think you mean MR11 (35mm), not MR16 (50mm).

Which ledil optic are you using. Is it the Cute-4-SS designed for the XR-E? I've used that optic and it does work on XPGs. I'm not aware of a Ledil 35mm quad optic design specifically for the XPE/G.
Thank you, MtbMacgyver - MR11 size.

Yes, Cute-4-SS optics designed for XR-E. It have 9 degree FWHM for XR-E and about 11 degree, if using with XP-G.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Eltehs said:
ATTINY13 microcontroller used and yes, it have 2 spare pins, used only for in-circuit programming. I have checked ANT protocol description and probably yes, LED engine can be controlled over the air with ANT protocol and appropriate RF receiver module. Main problem will be RF antenna location, as it probably would not work inside the aluminium light case.
Theoreticaly conectable then but 1k of flash and virtualy zero ram would make the firmware very tricky trying to drive a software uart to talk to the Ant. I have it working for the flex drivers but they are tiny85 so a lot more resources in comparison to a tiny13. Too bad I would like to try it with one of the new integrated driver boards.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts