Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Executive User - UK
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello and thanks following the first ride on my newly built Motolite Ti.
After around seven years away from the saddle I got the urge to get a new mtb. I use to ride a GT Avalanche back in the day and thought about picking up the recently special edition Zaskar frame. I didnt consider a full suspension bike as they were rather crude when I rode one back in '98 but after posting on here I was advised by some members to go and give them a try as they had improved lots since my previous experience with them.

I managed to demo some modern bikes and was really impressed with how the quality had come along so I set about searching for a solid frame to use as a starting point for my new ride. I was pretty gob smacked at how the prices have increased over the last ten years too! I never thought it would be possible to spend so much on a bike but with advances in technology and materials have generated budgets rivalling small cars possible.

I hooked up with Bikerbob, one of the regulars on here who worked me me to specify and source the right parts for the build. Its been great researching all the different parts and seeing how they have been developed in the period since my last visit to a bike shop.

We finally settled on the following parts

Motolite Ti (Large)
Rockshox Reba Team fork with 20mm Maxle
Cane Creek 110 headset
ZTR Flow Rims with Chris King hubs
Racing Ralph 2.1 tyres with yellow rim tape and Stans no tubes liquid
Avid Elixir CR brakes (185 front, 160 rear)
Hope '09 rear skewer
SRAM PG990 11-34 rear cassette
SRAM PG991 chain
XTR 175mm crank
XTR pedals (was looking for Time's but out of stock everywhere)
X9 rear dérailleur
XTR front dérailleur
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
WBT Silverado SLT saddle
Thomson X4 stem, 100mm 10deg rise
Truvativ World Cup Style bars
X0 twist shifters & SRAM grips

Its not a weight weenie build (Im a sturdy 200+ lbs) but a blend of strength and weight.
Weight has been reduced where possible so long as strength hasnt been compromised hence decision light Flow rims and Alloy Truvativ bars.
As I get used to the bike I might experiment with some lighter parts - I really enjoy the way light bikes respond to crank and steering inputs.

I need to spend some time dialing in the suspension settings and fine tuning the fit of the bike but am really looking forward to spending more time on this bike over the coming years.

Big thanks to Bikerbob who really went above and beyond the normal to help me with this. I would recommend Bob without hesitation, he is a true enthusiast and definitely not just out to make a quick buck. He even told me where to go to get parts cheaper than he could source them for! I'm also happy to say that his recommendations have been spot on.

Also thanks to, Spartacus Rex, InvictaS1, Kind & kleinmantra who all offered wise words that helped me arrive at the current destination.

I got back too late tonight to take any pictures that are worth showing but Ill be sure to get some up tomorrow.

thanks everyone, been great to be back on a bike and join this great forum.

Ian

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
vikingboy said:
Picies will have to wait unfortunately - its covered in mud and its pitch black outside now!
I rode the thing until i couldnt see where i was going - which made getting home interseting LOL
OK... that gives you a 48hrs grace period before I put this thread down if no pics are shown.

Sorry.

OTOH.. Congrats!!!! Now that's a killer ride! And indeed, Bob is the man! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
616 Posts
welcome aboard...

you got to post a pic and an initial ride report! Got 60 miles on mine and finally the last couple rides I got the reba dialed in nice. (the fork is so adjustable, it seems everyone has settings they like and they range all over the place) Man is it FAST. Unfortunately, we got almost a foot of snow on the ground here in CT. I walk out to garage a few times a day just to look at her...

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
HeiHei,

IINM both viking & DVD are on the new 120mm maxle Reba's. I'm very keen to know how they are performing on the ML as I personally feel that 120 is the sweet spot for the ML in terms of front travel or more sepcifically A to C.

Cheers,

P.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
nice no compromise build. only recommendation is that you send your shock to Push after a couple of months. you should give it a couple of months so that you may fully appreciate the affect of this mod. congratulations!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Reba thoughts so far

it is certainly stiffer than my old QR fork and really bites into turns. It took me a while to dial in the pos/neg. psi. and tried quite a few different settings. The printed settings rode fine but only got me four inches of travel. I found now that 90 pos. 95 neg. is giving a very supple ride that is plush and using full travel (I weigh 190 geraed up). The bike feels well blanced, super fast and climbs sick. I do have only one ride with this new sweet spot.

My buddy is building up a ML with a TA fork so i will be interested in how 140mm rides. If there are no climbing deficiencies i may swap for a longer legged Revelation in the future for there is little weight penalty over a reba.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
heihei said:
Hmmm - having ridden the 20mm Revs still reckon the Pikes are a better fork, esp for a heavier rider. Would always sacrifice a bit of weight for a stiffer fork.
Don't quote me, but last time I checked, the part numbers for the uppers and lowers of the Rev 20mm and Pikes were the same.

I can't point my finger to where the difference is between them two.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
elvin said:
hey guys, how is the FTM Ti different from the ML Ti. Rear triangle looks different? what else. How about the ride. I have an ML II now but thinking of upgrading to the Ti.
Will have a little more travel (127 to 135), a little lighter through the use of the new "light rail" system, and maybe a little stiffer through the use of a bigger seat tube.

It looks like the Horst link is dropped lower as well (in relation to the rear drop-out). Does anybody know if that effects the ride?

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
I think they have also made some minor tweaks to the geometry i.e. Chainstay length is slightly longer, BB slightly lower. Perhaps the ride characteristics will be closer to that of the EG, but no way to tell for sure till the end-user ride reports come in.

DVD, thanks for sharing your ride impressions. I had a really tough ride last weekend (too much pushing) but my Talas is really beginning to shine and feel like it was worth the price I paid. The Maxle is still mighty attractive to me, but I am also now toying with the idea of a Mach 4 ;-)

Cheers,

P.

·
Executive User - UK
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought it might be good to come back to this thread and update it with where I am today with the Motolite. I've been riding it for 5 months now in a mixture of the typical odd British weather, some snow, lots of rain and mud and some nice weather lately.
I am still figuring out exactly how to set it up for my style of riding and yhings have been replaced as they either wore out, broke or I just fancied a change to try something else.

Heres an update on my journey so far.

Winter came and went and with it lots of wet mud.

Its about this time that my wife decided she wanted to get a bike to join me on some of the weekend rides. We went through to a local bike shop and she selected a Lapierre Xcontrol 410 bike which was on sale at a great price. Its equipped with Fox forks, Rp3 rear shock, XT wheels and a mixture of Lapierre proprietary and XT parts.

The British winter took its toll on my deraileur cables and brake pads so they have all been changed. Brake pads were changed fro stock Elixir pads and the brake cables I decided to go for something a bit more exotic than plain Shimano stuff. I picked up some Nokon cables with one piece liners recently and have just installed them.
Interestingly enough, although expensive it seems that one standard pack isnt enough to actually run two non stop liners from bars to gears. I had to purchase an extension pack in order to be able to do run both runs without any interruptions to the inner liners.

Here are some images of the install. As you can see, I used the smaller cable pieces to help with a tight turn at the rear deraileur. Both cables now operate smoothly again. Cable stretch in the initial run in perido was bugging me so I ordered a pair of Powercordz 1.2mm cables which will fit in the standard liners. I'll post some pics once they have arrived.

During winter riding, I realised that the light weight 2.1" Racing Ralph tyres on ZTR Flow rims weren't cut out for deep mud and wet roots. Still, the hazardous nature of the handling was a good training ground to improve my handling skills!

As speeds in the forests increased as the ground dried into spring, I found myself being plagued by a run of punctures. Mainly cuts from smaller rocks to the actual carcass between the knobs. Even though I was running Stans liquid for tubeless operation, the holes were too large to be sealed so I had to install tubes to complete a couple of rides.

Another issue was that when taking fast corners, mainly on berms, I found the rear tyre would burp air out and Im sure almost came of the rim on a couple of occasions. Even running 40psi wasnt enough to prevent this so i thought about changing tyres to see if a heavier tyre could prevent this.

I decided to change to something at the other end of the spectrum to get a view on how they would feel and installed a set of Kenda Navegal 2.1" stick-e tyres on the Flow rims. I haven't put many hard and fast miles on these yet but the increased resistance to forward momentum is easily noticeable. I cant comment on flat out handling just yet as they haven't been used in anger. The weight and rolling resistance makes me question of I shouldnt have gone for something a bit more Nobby Nic like.....? Time will tell I guess.

Ive also found it quite a PITA to fit non-UST tyres to the Flow rims. Just getting the Nevegals to stop leaking has taken several days worth of slopping, laying flat and generally faffing to get them to hold pressure. Compared to the UST setup on the wifes bike (XT rims) I'm contemplating changing for UST rims and tyres which would make life easier....albiet at a cost and weight penalty. Im no sure Im prepared to have two pairs of wheels so changing tyres easily before weekend rides depending on conditions would be nice.

Having confirmed the 100mm stem length as correct for my size and style, and feeling like the original Truvavtiv Stylo 680mm bars were slightly too wide by approx 1", I decided to make some weight savings and change the Thomson X4 and Stylo world cup bars out for a Ritchey 100m 4axis carbon stem and Ritchey 660mm carbon hi rize bars. i took the opportunity to fix the original SRAM grips that slid off once on me with some lock ons from ODI too.

I did read all the posts regarding carbon breaking etc but in the 6 months of riding, Ive only had one fall so I fugured I'd try carbon and see how I get on. if something breaks Ill change it but am prepared to see how it goes. It certainly looks nice. I bought a matching Ritchey seat post to repalce the Thomson masterpeice with. I also picked up a lightweight OMNI Ti clamp too which shaved a few grammes.

Here's how she looks today.

Right now Im looking for a set up lighter weight wheels which are UST compatible. I think I over engineered the original wheels. My riding style is definitely more XC than AM. I like the King hubs, they roll well and seem string with no reliability issues. Mavic SLRs look too lightweight and the hubs dont look great. Shimano XTR or Fulcrum wheels are probably most likely replacements right now.

M might also change out the brakes for something like Formula R1s. Nothing wrong with the Elixirs but the weight saving of the R1 would be nice.

We are off for a weeks riding in Wales in a weeks time so Ill get a further opportunity put the bike and its upgrades through its paces.

Ill post back with some more pics and feedback on how the carbon stuff works out!
Thanks everyone for all the great advice Ive learned from here.

Ian

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
Vikingboy,

Thank you for sharing, and well done for taking the time to post pictures of your beautiful bike. All I can say is that I'm really jealous of the bike - its really pukka.

2nd the move away from SRAM brakes.

Cheers,

P.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
vikingboy said:
I thought it might be good to come back to this thread and update it with where I am today with the Motolite. I've been riding it for 5 months now in a mixture of the typical odd British weather, some snow, lots of rain and mud and some nice weather lately.
I am still figuring out exactly how to set it up for my style of riding and yhings have been replaced as they either wore out, broke or I just fancied a change to try something else.

Heres an update on my journey so far.

Winter came and went and with it lots of wet mud.

Its about this time that my wife decided she wanted to get a bike to join me on some of the weekend rides. We went through to a local bike shop and she selected a Lapierre Xcontrol 410 bike which was on sale at a great price. Its equipped with Fox forks, Rp3 rear shock, XT wheels and a mixture of Lapierre proprietary and XT parts.

The British winter took its toll on my deraileur cables and brake pads so they have all been changed. Brake pads were changed fro stock Elixir pads and the brake cables I decided to go for something a bit more exotic than plain Shimano stuff. I picked up some Nokon cables with one piece liners recently and have just installed them.
Interestingly enough, although expensive it seems that one standard pack isnt enough to actually run two non stop liners from bars to gears. I had to purchase an extension pack in order to be able to do run both runs without any interruptions to the inner liners.

Here are some images of the install. As you can see, I used the smaller cable pieces to help with a tight turn at the rear deraileur. Both cables now operate smoothly again. Cable stretch in the initial run in perido was bugging me so I ordered a pair of Powercordz 1.2mm cables which will fit in the standard liners. I'll post some pics once they have arrived.

During winter riding, I realised that the light weight 2.1" Racing Ralph tyres on ZTR Flow rims weren't cut out for deep mud and wet roots. Still, the hazardous nature of the handling was a good training ground to improve my handling skills!

As speeds in the forests increased as the ground dried into spring, I found myself being plagued by a run of punctures. Mainly cuts from smaller rocks to the actual carcass between the knobs. Even though I was running Stans liquid for tubeless operation, the holes were too large to be sealed so I had to install tubes to complete a couple of rides.

Another issue was that when taking fast corners, mainly on berms, I found the rear tyre would burp air out and Im sure almost came of the rim on a couple of occasions. Even running 40psi wasnt enough to prevent this so i thought about changing tyres to see if a heavier tyre could prevent this.

I decided to change to something at the other end of the spectrum to get a view on how they would feel and installed a set of Kenda Navegal 2.1" stick-e tyres on the Flow rims. I haven't put many hard and fast miles on these yet but the increased resistance to forward momentum is easily noticeable. I cant comment on flat out handling just yet as they haven't been used in anger. The weight and rolling resistance makes me question of I shouldnt have gone for something a bit more Nobby Nic like.....? Time will tell I guess.

Ive also found it quite a PITA to fit non-UST tyres to the Flow rims. Just getting the Nevegals to stop leaking has taken several days worth of slopping, laying flat and generally faffing to get them to hold pressure. Compared to the UST setup on the wifes bike (XT rims) I'm contemplating changing for UST rims and tyres which would make life easier....albiet at a cost and weight penalty. Im no sure Im prepared to have two pairs of wheels so changing tyres easily before weekend rides depending on conditions would be nice.

Having confirmed the 100mm stem length as correct for my size and style, and feeling like the original Truvavtiv Stylo 680mm bars were slightly too wide by approx 1", I decided to make some weight savings and change the Thomson X4 and Stylo world cup bars out for a Ritchey 100m 4axis carbon stem and Ritchey 660mm carbon hi rize bars. i took the opportunity to fix the original SRAM grips that slid off once on me with some lock ons from ODI too.

I did read all the posts regarding carbon breaking etc but in the 6 months of riding, Ive only had one fall so I fugured I'd try carbon and see how I get on. if something breaks Ill change it but am prepared to see how it goes. It certainly looks nice. I bought a matching Ritchey seat post to repalce the Thomson masterpeice with. I also picked up a lightweight OMNI Ti clamp too which shaved a few grammes.

Here's how she looks today.

Right now Im looking for a set up lighter weight wheels which are UST compatible. I think I over engineered the original wheels. My riding style is definitely more XC than AM. I like the King hubs, they roll well and seem string with no reliability issues. Mavic SLRs look too lightweight and the hubs dont look great. Shimano XTR or Fulcrum wheels are probably most likely replacements right now.

M might also change out the brakes for something like Formula R1s. Nothing wrong with the Elixirs but the weight saving of the R1 would be nice.

We are off for a weeks riding in Wales in a weeks time so Ill get a further opportunity put the bike and its upgrades through its paces.

Ill post back with some more pics and feedback on how the carbon stuff works out!
Thanks everyone for all the great advice Ive learned from here.

Ian
Thanks for the update. That bike looks great. How do you like the Nokons? I just moved to Gore Ride-ons and have been really impressed. I use grip-shift as well and the action is much improved. I lived in England for 4 years and remember the mud as well! I loved Wales and wish I was going for a weeks ridding! Have fun and tell us how it went!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.