Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a great price for a 05 ML frame, so I decided to build one up as my XC / light trail bike. I haven't trail tested it yet, but it feels great just riding around. I pretty much used all the components off my Intense Spider (which I'm selling). I switched the shifters and rear derailleur to XO. I've posted a few pics. In case anyone is interested in a med Spider - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7201174031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1.

Attachments

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Thanks for sharing. God those XTR cranks look good with that color frame. Please post your experience after your give it a thorough go.

Why did you end up selling your Spider?

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spider wasn't getting much use

dulyebr said:
Thanks for sharing. God those XTR cranks look good with that color frame. Please post your experience after your give it a thorough go.

Why did you end up selling your Spider?
I have 5 bikes, so the Spider wasn't getting much use. I found that I was riding my 6 in Quasimoto trail bike or my Banshee hardtail more often. I don't really race xc too often now, so I didn't really need a dedicated xc bike. The ML is almost as light as the Spider and it gives me an extra inch of travel. I think that it will see much more use than the Spider did. Plus, at the price I paid for it, I'll probably break even once I sell the Spider.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grey's okay

Ly Ly said:
You know you only got the Moto-lite because you saw mine! I like that color.
The gun-metal grey is okay, especially in sunlight. It's not as unique as your powder baby blue, though.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don't know

dulyebr said:
Did you get the wider chainstays? Looks like it...
I don't know if I have the new wider chainstays. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem, because I'm only running 2.1's in the rear. I have 2.5 / 2.3's on my Quasi. I'm going to try to keep this bike lighter for possible xc type riding.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Medium

Mr Pink said:
What size + weight?nice build.
The bike is a Medium. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but I would guess it's around 27 lbs or so. I don't have it built up ultra-light, but I can always upgrade if I decide to make it lighter.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
yangpei said:
I don't know if I have the new wider chainstays. Either way, it shouldn't be a problem, because I'm only running 2.1's in the rear. I have 2.5 / 2.3's on my Quasi. I'm going to try to keep this bike lighter for possible xc type riding.
I think you have the 05 chainstays. That's an '05 model, and if you got the wider chainstays you would have got a polished chainstay. Anyway, it's an awesome bike :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
polished stays only come as the "aftermarket" option. If you look very carefully at his bike you will see the chainstay box is the hollow type (i.e the freeride stays) not the solid box of the old narrow CS.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks

rzozaya1969 said:
Nice color! Same as mine, hehe. Have fun with it. BTW, how is your friend liking her ride? (I'm really sorry, but forgot if it)
I look forward to my first ride. Unfortunately, it may rain in SoCal today. As for my friend, Ly Ly, she loves her new bike. She's a little too crazy for her own good and has already taken a few spills and cracked her first helmet. But, she's still smiling and eager to ride.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
yangpei said:
I look forward to my first ride. Unfortunately, it may rain in SoCal today. As for my friend, Ly Ly, she loves her new bike. She's a little too crazy for her own good and has already taken a few spills and cracked her first helmet. But, she's still smiling and eager to ride.
Aww, sorry about rain, I really don't like too much riding in the rain, or in the mud, but that's part of what we do, and sometimes it's fun.

And it's great about Ly Ly's attitude, she'll improve a lot with that :)

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First ride

I was able to get out and ride the ML yesterday - what a blast. I was pleasantly surprised at the bike's climbing ability. At 5 inches front and back, it climbed as well as my Spider and definitely better than my 6 in Quasimoto. When I hit the singletrack, I was again surprised. In the tight switchbacks, I expected the ML to be a little sluggish compared with the Spider, but it felt just as quick and nimble. It also felt comfortable in the steep rocky descents, although it definitely didn't feel like my DH bike. Overall, I was ecstatic. The bike turned out only about 1/2 lb heavier than my Spider, has over an inch more travel, and does everything just as well or better. I may be switching out some components to get back that 1/2 lb. I'd like to get it under 27 lbs, in case I do some xc.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Weight loss

yangpei said:
I came across a great price for a 05 ML frame, so I decided to build one up as my XC / light trail bike. I haven't trail tested it yet, but it feels great just riding around. I pretty much used all the components off my Intense Spider (which I'm selling). I switched the shifters and rear derailleur to XO. I've posted a few pics. In case anyone is interested in a med Spider - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7201174031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1.
I'm in the process of trimming a little fat off my ML.

1. Selle Italia SLR Gel seat instead of Flite Ti
2. ZTR/Olympic w/ Hadley wheels instead of King / Mavic 317 wheels
3. Magura Marta SL brakes instead of Hayes Carbon
4. Thomson Masterpiece seatpost instead of Thomson Elite seatpost
5. SRAM XO shifters and rear derailleur instead of XT shifters / XTR rear derailleur
6. Stan's set-up with the new wheelset intead of running tubes

I'll let you know by the weekend how it feels after I finish.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,597 Posts
yangpei said:
I'm in the process of trimming a little fat off my ML.

1. Selle Italia SLR Gel seat instead of Flite Ti
2. ZTR/Olympic w/ Hadley wheels instead of King / Mavic 317 wheels
3. Magura Marta SL brakes instead of Hayes Carbon
4. Thomson Masterpiece seatpost instead of Thomson Elite seatpost
5. SRAM XO shifters and rear derailleur instead of XT shifters / XTR rear derailleur
6. Stan's set-up with the new wheelset intead of running tubes

I'll let you know by the weekend how it feels after I finish.
I don't understand the wheel change. You'll lose some grams on the rims but will offset it with the hubs. Why don't you have your CK hubs relaced to Stan Olympic rims?

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are Hadleys that much heavier?

zorg said:
I don't understand the wheel change. You'll lose some grams on the rims but will offset it with the hubs. Why don't you have your CK hubs relaced to Stan Olympic rims?
I have Hadleys on one of my bikes and CK two bikes. I've never looked up the weights, but I didn't think they were that different. If they are, I may end up doing what you suggested. Thanks.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,597 Posts
yangpei said:
I have Hadleys on one of my bikes and CK two bikes. I've never looked up the weights, but I didn't think they were that different. If they are, I may end up doing what you suggested. Thanks.
Hadley: front 200g, rear 355g (or close to that)

The Stan Olympic rims 385 actually weigh 370gr on average. I just got a wheelset made of CK hubs, DT revolution spokes and Olympic 385 rims. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride it yet, but I can't wait. Since I'm not using UST tires, I opted to put in the Stan flap in the Olympic rim instead of using the yellow tape and the core valve. Hopefully, I'll be able to report soon on it.

While I was at it, I also did some ligthening up to my ML too. Swapped the X.9 derailleur for an 05 X.0 and changed the chain to something really light. Next after that, I'll change the seat for a Specialized body geometry thingy and mount a Kenda Nevegal 2.1 on the front wheel instead of my Intense System 4. All in all, I should lose a little over 1# and get the bike back down to about 28#

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.