Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never got a chance to post an update on my Mojo so it's not "new".....but it sure looks puuurty all cleaned up and with some new bits.

I plan on doing a ride tomorrow so I wanted to post these up before it hits the dirt.

New bits:

Lyrik Coil u-turn
70mm X4 0 degree stem
Hi-rise Monkey bar EA70
New front wheel: Red Hope Pro II laced to Syncros DS28, black DT Competition spokes, black brass nipples.

The Lyrik is set at 145 mm most of the time. I also measured the BB and it's 14" to the center. I figure with sag, probably at 13.4" At 160, the bike is too raked out for normal riding but I have used it on a few DH's. I'll also probably be getting a light spring kit for the Lyrik too...it rides fine with the standard spring but I'm curious to see if the light will make it just that much more supple.

I loooooooooove a clean drive train... :D I'll be re-doing my rear wheel shortly too...gonna keep the CK hub but lace it to a DT 5.1D rim instead of the 823.

New bar and stem. I know the bar is actually an older model but I got it dirt cheap.

Future upgrades:

-Possibly the Lopes link (in red)
-PUSH'd rp23 (shoulda taken advantage of their Holiday special)
-'09 XT shifters

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
really nice ride...i think the lighter spring is a good idea...i know my pike spring stiffens up when you wind it down...point being it is stiffer at 145 than 160mm travel and the softer spring may compensate for the winding down difference or 15mm of preload...good luck...

·
Mojo0115
1,667 Posts
Rather than going with the lighter spring, have a few extra beers these holidays and you will be all set!

It is funny how perception is everything as I so rarely run my Lyrik anywhere except at 160mm and even today riding the techy challenges on the National Trail (south mountain, phoenix) having it all out for the lifts and climbs felt good to me. When I switch it down for steep, smooth climbing it always feels strange to lift it over an obstacle.

(By the way - the Lyrik was simply perfect for the run back down National).

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Looking good.
I'll be having a "new" Mojo thread in a few weeks too.:thumbsup:

ddraewwg said:
The Lyrik is set at 145 mm most of the time. I also measured the BB and it's 14" to the center. I figure with sag, probably at 13.4" At 160, the bike is too raked out for normal riding but I have used it on a few DH's. I'll also probably be getting a light spring kit for the Lyrik too...it rides fine with the standard spring but I'm curious to see if the light will make it just that much more supple.
Try a lighter wt oil. I moved to the 2.5wt, and the fork is super sweet now. It also makes the spring feel softer.

·
half tread will travel
240 Posts
hey ddraewwg, you have the room under your stem to drop your bars 15/20mm to compensate your cockpit if you ever are inclined to try running full 160 travel like zzsean...it always takes a few rides to get your mind to adjust to the change...for example i found that in stead of turning my front tire back on line when i begin to wander off line on a steep climb i often opted to just pick up my front wheel and put it back on track sorta manually...wheel flop is not as much an issue...options are nice to have...good luck...

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tread Mark said:
really nice ride...i think the lighter spring is a good idea...i know my pike spring stiffens up when you wind it down...point being it is stiffer at 145 than 160mm travel and the softer spring may compensate for the winding down difference or 15mm of preload...good luck...
Yeah actually, I do. I have about 11/8" below the stem. I made sure that the steerer would be long enough for me to make any adjustments I needed to. As it is right now, the bar is about saddle height. I was thinking of doing exactly what you said, but I still think the geo would not be as good as it is right now. Today's ride doesn't have too many twisties....more of a wide open climb/descent so it may be fine....but for most of my riding (tight, twisty singletrack and switchbacks, the 160 setting gets to be too cumbersome.

I also forgot to post another one of my new bits......CC 110is. How the heck did I forget that? Sheeesh....

I know that you can't really "see" the headset but the 110 is sooooooo noice, I figure any pix is a good pix. :thumbsup: You can also see the number of spacers I have below the stem in that shot too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.