Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excited to be able to post some initial info on a new Private Label frame by ZenBikeFab

Switchback is working with ZenFab to make the first prototypes become a reality.

Switchback will be field-testing the frames, and offering any feedback needed to finalize the prototype frames so ZenFab can take the next step to making the frame become a reality!

Text Infrastructure Bicycle frame Line Font

We (Switchback/ZenFab) are going to bring everyone Along For The Ride and show you some behind the scenes info on what it takes to bring a new frame like this to market.....

Hope you enjoy....and stay tuned! This is going to be a lot of fun!

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeah, have to agree, I'd stay FAR away from any press fit BBs and stick to the old and trusted threaded BBs - much easier to service/remove if necessary, cheaper to replace, no creaking. I'm thinking they'll do an EBB for those who want to run SS, that's the why of the huge BB.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me too :) very excited about this frame and the opportunity to work with ZenFab....
I'll have Geo published soon
Will have info on when Protos will drop soon as well....

Maybe....IM or e-mail me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hate to be a hater, but if I was putting out a new frame, I think I would want constructive criticism. I echo the BB30 sentiments above, but even more aesthetically upsetting is the kink in the downtube. Myriads of frame builders do it, and myriads of other builders know how to get around it. I applaud the short chainstays, but would just love to see a straight downtube.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@urbiksux HA! Like your user name
You can't post things like this w/o thick skin :)
Appreciate the feedback. As ZenFab designed the frame, I'll see if they can chime in on the factors that went into the design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
But do you really need 16.2" chainstays? I have 16.7" stays on my XC bike now, and it's a little too unstable in turns. It's a 650b bike, so it's different, but if I were custom building a hardtail, I'd want about 16.7" to 17.2" adjustable. 16.9" sits nicely in the middle for a fixed dropout.

I agree that the competition is tough in this area, but the honzo is a taiwan made pig, the taro breaks and has 135mm rear, the ROS is overpriced, the gremlin evo is aluminum, the vassago is a little too "XC", and the cromags are either extremely expensive or made in taiwan.

edit: give me a cheaper price or a higher end tubeset like the vassago, and I would flip. This paired with a 60-65mm BB drop and 68* HA/120mm fork would be perfect.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Zen = middle ground. We wanted to sit between the ROS9 and XC style frames. (You'll see what we mean when we post the GEO chart later)
The curved DT allows for fork crown clearance and makes the tube land straight at the headtube avoiding a sharp angle and possible gusset. BB 30 to allow BEER components EBB for Single Speed set-up. This allows us to make dropouts that are strong and fixed.
True Temper, Columbus, Reynolds, etc make great tubes, so we select the best tube for the location on the frame rather than sticking with a brand for the whole frame and compromising the design.
We know there are several ways to accomplish an awesome 29 Steel hardtail, but this is our take on it.
Thanks for playing!
David

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.