Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought/received a 2008 MKIII Comp frame to build up. Very excited, as it will be my first FS bike. I have many questions with it.

1) I may never get this thing built because I cannot decide on a fork. I WANT a Pike, but my wallet seems to be giving me a hard time about it. My next two contenders are the Fox Float R or the Manitou Nixon Super. I do all trail riding, lots of rock beds, and I weight 170 if that helps.

2) Graphics - anyone know what the graphics are on this frame? I can't seem to tell. It doesn't seem like decals, but I doubt it is painted on. I have the flat black and wanted to debadge it and just leave it all flat black instead of the lime green lettered branding.

3) Stem - for those that built theirs up, how did you determine stem length? My current bike I did trial an error, and got it perfect, but that was an expensive solution I'd like to avoid this time around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1. I run a pike 454 Air U-turn and its a great fork. Never let me down, never given me a problem. Fox makes great forks, cant speak for the Manitou. Cant speak for Fox or anything else as my mkii had the pike and my sunday has the boxxer.

2. Applied at the factory, it's a decal. Typically its applied under the clearcoat. Wet transfer. Im not sure if you'll be able to simply debadge it like you would a volkswagens trunk.

3. Comper frame sizes. geometry and see if the similar stem feels good. I ride in southern california and like the feeling of a shorter stem for some of our steeper descents. Today I hiked Telonics and rode back down. Felt sketched on the mkiii.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
If you want it debagded you're going to have to have the frame media blasted. Go with the Pike, given your list of 3 forks. I like the manitou, although , the axle to crown on the pike makes the bike sit "right". IH will tell you the bike was designed around the Pike. I don't like Fox forks. Personal thing, you might like them. As far as a stem goes, sorry to say, trial and error. That is a very personal thing. I use a 40mm, yes, a 40mm. I have used a 60mm, and liked that too. However, the way I built my mkiii and the way I ride it, dictates I use a wicked short stem. There is only one right answer; whatever makes you comfortable and increases your riding joy:D

·
Registered
190 Posts
well as for the fork i would go with a pike. and i love the flat black green graphics but if you want to change it i would get it sand blasted and powder coated or anodized at a local shop. and stem all depends on your riding style. how big is your frame, are you doing more all mountain get a medium sized stem. and if your doing xc and lots of climbing you would benifit from the stretched out longer stem. and if you like tight technical trails with some down hill mixed in i would go with a smaller one.

i do a lil bit of everything im 6.2 on a 19 frame and got a 85mm stem.

·
GreeneDog
271 Posts

Manitou Nixon Super has rocked on my bike, I to wanted the Pike. But my wallet said other wise. I am a 200lbs meatsack and this thing is firm and plush. I love it. PS - Just switched over to all SRAM. Incredible. I can not beleive what I have been missing.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'm 6 ft even on a 19" frame and I ride a 50mm zero rise stem with a large riser bar. My lower body is longer than my torso, so I felt way too spread out in the default setup. It wasn't comfortable. I'm definitely liking my new setup alot better. It feels more natural and relaxed, and I feel like I have more control. It really is just about personal preference and body style though.

I plan on getting a Pike soon, but I might get one of the new 2009 thru-axle air-sprung Revelations instead.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
BaeckerX1 said:
I'm 6 ft even on a 19" frame and I ride a 50mm zero rise stem with a large riser bar. My lower body is longer than my torso, so I felt way too spread out in the default setup. It wasn't comfortable. I'm definitely liking my new setup alot better. It feels more natural and relaxed, and I feel like I have more control. It really is just about personal preference and body style though.

I plan on getting a Pike soon, but I might get one of the new 2009 thru-axle air-sprung Revelations instead.
I'm 6' dead on, and I ride a 19". I'm running a 50mm Thomson Stem, 0' rise, and a full length seat post. I have my saddle moved almost all the way back.

I think the MkIII rides FAR better with a short stem. What you suffer on the climbs, you gain in pure-all-out descent ripping madness. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Prettym1k3 said:
I'm 6' dead on, and I ride a 19". I'm running a 50mm Thomson Stem, 0' rise, and a full length seat post. I have my saddle moved almost all the way back.

I think the MkIII rides FAR better with a short stem. What you suffer on the climbs, you gain in pure-all-out descent ripping madness. :thumbsup:
Heh agreed. Just lean forward more on the climbs. ;)

·
Advanced Slacker
15,598 Posts
ElbowScabs said:
I just bought/received a 2008 MKIII Comp frame to build up. Very excited, as it will be my first FS bike. I have many questions with it.

1) I may never get this thing built because I cannot decide on a fork. I WANT a Pike, but my wallet seems to be giving me a hard time about it. My next two contenders are the Fox Float R or the Manitou Nixon Super. I do all trail riding, lots of rock beds, and I weight 170 if that helps.

2) Graphics - anyone know what the graphics are on this frame? I can't seem to tell. It doesn't seem like decals, but I doubt it is painted on. I have the flat black and wanted to debadge it and just leave it all flat black instead of the lime green lettered branding.

3) Stem - for those that built theirs up, how did you determine stem length? My current bike I did trial an error, and got it perfect, but that was an expensive solution I'd like to avoid this time around.
I run a Pike Coil on mine. I've had it on several frames since `05. After abotu 3 years I got it rebuilt by PUSH. I think the feel can't be beat. It the Pike Air is too much $$, you may want to consider the coil version.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.