Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
80% of my riding is MidPen (Skeggs, Russian Ridge, etc.). I’m tired of pedaling my heavy ass Hightower LT up steep hills on my weekday lunch and after work rides. And nothing in MidPen really needs that much travel. Looking at the SC Blur, Yeti SB100 and Pivot Mach4SL. Would even consider a hard tail, Highball, DV9, etc. Anybody riding these? Thoughts?

Also, anybody going to Oregon in the near future who could put a bike on their rack back to CA for me?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Do you have the Carbon Chameleon?
Nah, Aluminium. This was kind of an experiment to see if I liked single speeding (I do!), so I didn't want to drop a ton of cash. Also, I wanted a bike that I could beat up on and take some spills at the pumptrack/DJ without worrying about scratching the frame.

I'll also mention that it's crazy fun to ride on Flow.

Though that slog up Montebello might be slightly less gruesome with a lighter frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ive test ridden the new Ripley and I have been on the hunt for one ever since for those very trails that you ride. Looking to add it as a second bike.
I ride a 2018 Enduro as my only bike so I ride it at Skeggs a few times a week typically.
Today I demoed the new Hightower at UC. Man that bike climbs so well. May have to reconsider my game plan and just go with the new HT as my only bike?
I PRed a climb and a DH with suspension that wasn't very dialed.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, Aluminium. This was kind of an experiment to see if I liked single speeding (I do!), so I didn't want to drop a ton of cash. Also, I wanted a bike that I could beat up on and take some spills at the pumptrack/DJ without worrying about scratching the frame.

I'll also mention that it's crazy fun to ride on Flow.

Though that slog up Montebello might be slightly less gruesome with a lighter frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beauty! I've spent many hours sitting on those rocks! My usual route is up Dirt Alpine, down White Oak, up Canyon, and if I have enough gas up Bella Vista, then a nap, before I go home!

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive test ridden the new Ripley and I have been on the hunt for one ever since for those very trails that you ride. Looking to add it as a second bike.
I ride a 2018 Enduro as my only bike so I ride it at Skeggs a few times a week typically.
Today I demoed the new Hightower at UC. Man that bike climbs so well. May have to reconsider my game plan and just go with the new HT as my only bike?
I PRed a climb and a DH with suspension that wasn't very dialed.
Hmmm....maybe I do need to ride the new HT.

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
e-bike :)

Edit: seriously, I use my gravel bike, when I do ride. The exceptions are the more technical bits, where I would have some suspension. In the past it was an AM hardtail or a short travel FS (Santa Cruz Nickel). I've since traded up for a Nomad, so that's what I use for suspension, but still use a gravel bike elsewhere. A drop bar rigid, like a Salsa Cutthroat would be on my list. It's different, drops add a bit of kookiness that is kinda fun. If not, a rigid is pretty darn cool, or a kooky fat bike.

I do have my son's Med 2017 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 that I've been meaning to list, just haven't gotten around to it. Pretty much perfect for the area.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Sb100 is more capable than its suspension numbers and is a rocket on the climbs

Lmk and I can get you 50% off a demo rate at Trail Head Cyclery should you want to dem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
80% of my riding is MidPen (Skeggs, Russian Ridge, etc.). I'm tired of pedaling my heavy ass Hightower LT up steep hills on my weekday lunch and after work rides. And nothing in MidPen really needs that much travel. Looking at the SC Blur, Yeti SB100 and Pivot Mach4SL. Would even consider a hard tail, Highball, DV9, etc. Anybody riding these? Thoughts?

Also, anybody going to Oregon in the near future who could put a bike on their rack back to CA for me?
IMHO focus on riding more and getting beyond Arastraderro. There are many many excuses to not ride and a new bike is not going to solve that methinks. Get faster tires and ride suspension in trail mode to get more speed.
-e-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.