Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been lurking the forums for a while, taking in all the great info available and finally decided to make an account. I've been itching to get a MTB for a while now and am finally going to make the purchase hopefully this weekend. I was in my LbS and talked to the owner for some time getting an idea of what I was really looking for. The shop carries Cannondale, Scott, Raleigh and Redline and my budget is 800-1300 although I'd like to stay on the lower end to be able to buy some accessories and riding gear. In terms of riding I am mostly interested in xc with some DH and very light freeride. I want something I will be able to progress on and do some light features but nothing crazy. Right now I'm leaning towards Raleigh tokul 3.0, it's on the lower end of my price range and has (from my knowledge) some pretty solid components for the price (rockshocks fork). I would just like to get some opinions or feed back if this seems to be a good fit for what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance guys and stoked to become a member of this community!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are you certain that you are ready to dive in to this hobby?

I ask, because if someone is just testing the waters, they should essentially go with a bike that is borrowed, cheap, used, a throwaway, etc. Nothing is worse than investing money into something that ends up as a wall ornament only.

If you know this will be a regular hobby, buy the best setup you can afford.

Unfortunately, 'best' differs from rider to rider. For me, that means durability and usability over something like weight, or aesthetics for instance. Don't get me wrong though, I like lighter and good-looking too.

If you are a heavier rider, you may want to spend a little more to get a higher quality front shock (ie RockShox, Fox, Marzocchi, etc.) but if you don't weigh much, even a mid-level+ SunTour will likely serve you just fine.

Regardless, whatever bike you start out with, as long as its adjusted properly (and truly suitable for trail use), will serve you just fine on most trails you will be exploring at the start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I should have mentioned over the past year or so I have been riding on my friends diamondback hardtail, unfortunately it has gotten to the point where something always malfunctions while out on a ride. I am also an avid road cyclist so riding is something I know I enjoy and I've been wanting to extend that riding into the trails and finally have the budget for it. As for size I am 5'9" 175, the one thing that has me leaning towards the Raleigh over the other manufacturers similarly priced bikes is the fork. Raleigh comes with rockshox and 120mm of travel as opposed to 100mm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts