Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I am so flippin excited to find such a large forum community for MTB'ing.

I used to rally my mom's FS specialzed when I lived at home but alot of time has passed since then but my passion for MTB'ing has never left me.

Fast forward 10 years and have a career now, a house and a family.
Almost needless to say I'm not in the shape I used to be nor can I ride like I once did.

So I went out to find the best Street/trail MTB I could for the money to get me started again to get into shape and start on the trails again and I ended up with a TREK 4300 19.5".

I know alot of you are way ahead of me and I'm sure you're bikes are much better but I 100% love this Bike and cannot get enough of it. When I'm not riding it all I can think about is rallying it when I get home.

My friend has a brand new Rock Hopper 21" and I rode it for a bit and other then the crank, I can't figure out why his bike is $75-$100 more then mine.

I mean everyone talks about how crappy the front fork for the TREK 4300 is but yet my buddies rock shock that comes with his new Rock hopper is really soft, always is on the edge of bottoming out and slow to repond so I'm a bit confused on how that's better then my stock crappy RST shocks that are pretty stiff, but NEVER bottom out and give me a good compromise between street and road.

Also, my buddy is the same height as me (6'1") but the way the top bar on the frame is setup on the rock hopper it forces him into a 21" instead of a more nimble 19.5" frame, his bike just feel more bulky when you ride it.

I'm a crazy here or it is just a case of me being bias about my purchase?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Glad you found us, welcome to the madness. As for the bike sizing and pricing issue, don't lose any sleep over it. If you're happy with your bike, it's geometry and performance, that's all that matters.

Enjoy the bike and ride on!

Bob

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No doubt, the possibilities are endless when you take into consideration the bike is forming to a human body.

For my use(mainly street/mild trail as I get into shape) I really think I picked the perfect bike for the price.

Of course no one like's to be stranded though after miles into a journey.:)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
stock forks-some suck, some don't

Personally I love Marzocchis. They are stone cold reliable. (I own 2 now, and have had 3)

I had a Judy-pure garbage, wrapped up in clever marketing.

Someone here has a great byline-but I can't remember it.

Something about 'buy a Marzocchi, it'll work for half a decade or until you get bored and sell it'

Some bikes are spec'd with good forks, others aren't.

Judys work good till they fill with water and mud.

Drew

·
Registered
306 Posts
dru said:
Something about 'buy a Marzocchi, it'll work for half a decade or until you get bored and sell it'
That would be SMT (ShiverMeTimbers)

"Buy a Marzoocchi it will last you half a decade or until its reliablility bores you into buying something else......"

To miller:
Welcome, and keep the fork until you need/want something new. If it works for you, rock it till the wheels fall off!

-Nate

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, while we're on the subject I'm just going to come out and ask.

Which Marzocchi fork would be best for my 4300 when I upgrade in a year or so?
THX

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,586 Posts
MillerSHO said:

THX
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK503A22-Marzocchi+Mx+Comp+06.aspx
That one for just riding around...
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK503A17-Marzocchi+Marathon+Race+06.aspx
This baby for racin'

Both are great forks, and if you don't care about 1 or 2 lbs, the 1st one is fine.

I'd love to have a Zocchi, just don't have any money :madman:

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
MillerSHO said:

THX
zocchi forks are great, but thekr waranty is absolute shite. manitou has the best waranty on the market

·
1,802 Posts
Don't count out Rock Shox...I have a Reba Race that is amazing and has been called the best 100mm fork on the market by several people on here.

Has he adjusted the fork at all?

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Yuh Think?

Khemical said:
They'd have to cause their forks break so often. :skep:
I have a Firefly and a Minute 2 in service currently and havn't had any problems...now that I've just jinxed myself:eek:ut: .

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Taking it out on harder trails the last couple weeks I now realize where the softer shock is going to help out but I will say riding with this stiff front shock is almost like no shock over the major stuff but it just takes the edge off. It felt AWESOME though to feel the trails in their glory.

I didn't like the fact that I had a hard time with starting to go up a REALLY steep incline(granny gear steep) that had roots or rocks where it starts going up the steep single track. I would get knocked around at the start a few times and get thrown into the sides of the single track in turn destroying any chance for me to make it up the small steep incline without dismounting.

I have a feeling a softer shock would help that transition better.

I ride road alot also so as long as it has a lock out, I'm cool with a soft shock.

·
destructionismyobjective
371 Posts
I also have a 4300 freshly redone. Its somewhere btwn 3-6 yrs old im not sure. I just got back into biking this spring and ended up buying the bike off of my buddy for cheap. I now use it to run xc races. I just got a new fork on mine that I dont like even though I havent even ridden it yet. Too flexy. Shoulda took the warnings about the manitou splice, but couldnt say no to the price---well I got what I paid for. I dont get it cause the mani stance on my bitter feels so nice. Good luck have fun. Here is a pic of my almost finished project.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.