Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my first ride in two years last week went well and I began to dream of riding Auburn or Annadel in the near future. However, it seems that was a bit premature. Cohenfive joined me today for a ride at New Melones, and he reminded me of how far I still have to go to regain some fitness. He looked like a pro, I was always way behind, and he had to make frequent stops so I could catch up. We did multiple loops of some of the trails and put together a pretty good 21 mile ride. The heart rate monitor reminded me what I've always known, no mater my fitness level, the first 20 minutes of every ride is torture. After that my heart settles down and, especially today, the legs hold me back. They really started fizzling out the last mile or so and I was really dragging. But it was a spectacular day and a great ride! I was working pretty hard and I didn't take many photos. Cohenfive had a lot of time on his hands so hopefully he will post more soon.

This trail has been sanitized and widened since I last rode there two years ago.

https://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Newmelones5/images/IMG_1924.jpg"

[IMG]https://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Newmelones5/images/IMG_1927.jpg

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I am at kfog kaboom right now freezing my butt off....I will post pix tomorrow, but it was great to ride with you again and hope we can do it again soon!!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I think you're doing great Steve. You've never been much for moderation though...maybe you should do several shorter rides before you get to the bigger ones.

Looking forward to riding Annadel with you soon.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
once again, it's good to see you back on the bike steve. hopefully you can ride at least once a week if not more as you get back into it.

the ride was a ton of fun, much better than i had expected given the less than enthusiastic things i hear about new melones sometimes. the loops we did around the reservoir were a lot of fun....singletrack through the woods and overlooking water is always a treat. at the end of the day we climbed up the road about a mile and then descended what i think is called the 'king's climb' trail....that was a great trail, zooming down through the woods with about 5 switchbacks thrown in for good measure, then following along the water about 100 feet or so above. it's a pretty decent drive from the bay area (just over 2 hrs from lafayette when i wasn't busy getting lost!) but overall i really enjoyed the riding. no huge climbs but otherwise it has a bit of everything...

here are a few of steve during our ride....

Attachments

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any ride is a great ride

Right now any ride is a great ride for me! Below is our ride compared to my last ride there two years ago. Gives me something to strive for. Thanks for hanging with me. This Garmin Connect has come a long way recently. The Downhill trail is called the Tower Climb and there are eight switchbacks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I see you both had a good ride. I rode there the day before. I was going to give you an update but, were is the fun in that. That tall clover on lower BB is something isn't it? Did you notice the bent over 6' tall mustard plants below the BB big hill? I thought it would be best to lower them before someone is pull off the trail by a bar hit. Great shots. Hope to ride with you both in the future. Oh, Santa Cruz had a great demo at the Bike Eporium in Auburn Sunday. The Tall boy is a sweet ride. The Easton Haven rims were firm with no flex (suprised a horse like me). Steve keep postin the progress (I hope you are not pushing to hard or to fast....don't need another 2 year break).
Have fun riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts