Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What started out a normal ride at Glory Hole ended earlier than normal. One of my favorite quick rides close to home 45min. Ended with downpour(we need the rain). Also beware Tower climb has had trail work done.I appreciate the hard work done just wish i knew it was done, before I started up the climb. They filled in the ruts with bank soil that was spread over the trail. With the lite rain the night before and the sprinkle I was ridding in the trail would have been fine. Wouldn't be leaving ruts or any thing. With the light dusting of bank soil and misty rain i ended up riding a packer instead of a bike. No, I didn't destroy the trailwork (no ruts left). I ended up walking most of it. Once up at the top the rest of the trails were as expected. I stayed off buckbrush when it is wet. When I reached the back of Angel Creek it started to pour. I ended at the dock and rode the road back. My shortest ride there in awhile. I will be waiting for more sun and dry days before I return.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I rode up there today too, I think I saw you riding up the switch back as I rode down. The other trails there were better. Then went down to Hogan and the trails were Perfect!!!!! They repeal the water better and less rain rain. Rode in shorts in great weather. And great sunset too.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,178 Posts
Uncle Stinky said:
I rode up there today too, I think I saw you riding up the switch back as I rode down. The other trails there were better. Then went down to Hogan and the trails were Perfect!!!!! They repeal the water better and less rain rain. Rode in shorts in great weather. And great sunset too.
I think Hogan improves with rain :)

Rod Olson from Mountain Pedalers does about 60-80% of the trail work up there. He's mostly retired and he spends about 3-4 days/ week riding there or other local trails. Cool guy. I need to get out to New Melones, it's been too long.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hind site always better than fore site

Yes, I should have ridden with you. But, I planned on playing basketball with the fellas (missed that too, alarm set for pm rather than am). Been under the weather for two weeks, I knew I wasn't ready for a long ride yet. I will watch and keep in touch though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the Hogan Update

I haven't ridden Hogan since it was started a few years ago. With the lava rocks it eats tires and flesh quickly. It is closer for me. It is due a second chance. Will check into it soon.:)

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Yo-yo-yo, reminder!!

If you guys do come to Melones, pm me, in town next two days.

That or join up at the AAA on Sanguinetti by 11am, tomorrow, probably just gonna be some fun time heading up through Sonora, Greenley Rd. to a Cabezut loop, or up towards Lyons with a short spin past the cemetary then up to goof off and explore while things are finished at the shop. Most of what I saw this evening at the lake was still a bit too wet.

Yeah, as far as Rod, he's definitely working out there. Funny that he calls it "retirement", I might have to heckle Eric a bit about that. ;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hogan' trails are great right now and on windy days much more sheltered than New Melones. The big problem there is the brush is taking over the trails. It is a fun place for night rides. Someone has also cleared the log just past the gate

·
Registered
92 Posts
TROGS stick a fork in-em

What day/night/time are you going? Was at Hogan with Bob, I guess Dave is about 5 Min from there. Got his # if you want it. What time due you start your rides.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
TROGS-stick a fork in 'em

Markatrog said:
What day/night/time are you going? Was at Hogan with Bob, I guess Dave is about 5 Min from there. Got his # if you want it. What time due you start your rides.
Hogan is the bomb..they don't call it area 51 because it's overmaintained !

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Wherewolf said:
Thanks. I thought that was where you guys were talking about, but I've never riden there. I have a time share in Angles Camp, and I didn't think there was any good riding around there. Next time I'm going to bring my bike. Those are all pretty short sections though right? Do you guys just ride them multiple times, or is it harder than I think?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,178 Posts
Combo Loop

Wish I Were Riding said:
Thanks. I thought that was where you guys were talking about, but I've never riden there. I have a time share in Angles Camp, and I didn't think there was any good riding around there. Next time I'm going to bring my bike. Those are all pretty short sections though right? Do you guys just ride them multiple times, or is it harder than I think?
Usually we park at the base of the hill, ride to the top of the switchbacks (either on the road, or up the switchbacks), down the switchbacks, hit the Carson Loop and the unmapped loop unless the lake is blocking it, then from there we go down Frontier trail to Buckbrush ride Buckbrush (counterclockwise) then ride Angels Arm. There is some dispute over the proper way to ride Angels Arm, it's fun both ways. Then you head back up Frontier to the car. about 15 miles I think. If you want a longer ride then you have to start repeating trails. Angels Arm and Buckbrush are both significantly different feeling when ridden in the opposite direction so it's not so bad.

My brother has that same timeshare. Unfortunately it's on the other side of town so if you wanted to ride to the lake you have to ride down Highway 49 about 4 miles which is narrow and not bike friendly at all.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
I get dizzy sometimes

I go out Frontier and then do Angels Creek, then Buckbrush, back to Angles Creek, back to Buckbrush, 4-5 loops each, alternating the direction each time. Head back Frontier, up the pavement and down the switchbacks, and the long way back to the parking lot. I think Angels Creek is most fun clockwise and Buckbrush counterclockwise.

I used to love going up the switchbacks but swore off them after my last surgeries. I could probably do them now without much lasting effects. But I only do New Melones during the week if I can get a second ride in. So I don't want to take the chance. And I mastered all the uphill switchbacks fairly quickly. I'm still working on a couple of those downhills ones, mostly in the dark.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Make sure you ride the little trail around the island off the extra loop of the Carson Creek trail. The water level is low enough now to get to it. There also used to be a fun litte trail off the south end of but it fell into disuse as it was a rogue trail, too bad because it was quite different than the rest of the trails.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.