Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the Platinum version, and was asking elsewhere about pressures...I'm hearing 80psi for the SPV side, and 80-90 for the spring side...

then I get the new issue today, and there's a 2-page spread on the fork, and they say 180psi for the spring side...Yikes, is that a typo? I've never seen an air sprung fork that will take 180...since the Manitou owners manual mentions nothing about what pressure to use, is anyone using that much?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
Just got the Platinum version, and was asking elsewhere about pressures...I'm hearing 80psi for the SPV side, and 80-90 for the spring side...
Man, I fought with the set up on this thing for a while, too. Here's what I came up with.

Set the SPV to a low setting, low enough that it doesn't take much to get to the travel. Then, set the air pressure in the spring side so that you get the desired amount of sag when you are on the bike. Once you've done that, air the SPV side to your liking. I weigh 168 lbs., and I find the fork most responsive at around 50-60 psi in the spring side and between 90-120 in the SPV side. At 90psi in the fork is pretty active over little stuff, and you will get some brake dive. Get it up around 120, and brake dive is pretty nonexistent.

180 psi in the spring side sounds fishy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah, I saw that too and thought it odd. I wigh 175 and I run like 65 on the spring side and 75 on the SPV side and really like it. I even race with it like that. I was going to give the MBA numbers a try, though, just to see if there was anything to it that I was missing. I think part of the problem is that Manitou hasn't done a good job getting information out on setting up that fork. Last time I checked, they didn't even have a manual to download on their web site.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I emailed R.C. at MBA, since he wrote the article...I have since ordered the Super without remote lockout (as Gunn-Rita uses), and will try both to see which I perfer (I get super low prices on forks, so I can afford to try and buy at will...). The manual now for Manitou has become a little tiny booklet with 4 point type, in 18 languages. It's a mess. It mentions nowhere what type of pressure range to try in the Spring side. Not one mention. Since it is pretty important to get both chambers pumped up for the fork to perform as intended, they really, really need to spend a bit more time on that part of the documentation.

I decided it was a typo, it should have been 80 I'm guessing.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
curtlo-dork said:
I emailed R.C. at MBA, since he wrote the article...I have since ordered the Super without remote lockout (as Gunn-Rita uses), and will try both to see which I perfer (I get super low prices on forks, so I can afford to try and buy at will...). The manual now for Manitou has become a little tiny booklet with 4 point type, in 18 languages. It's a mess. It mentions nowhere what type of pressure range to try in the Spring side. Not one mention. Since it is pretty important to get both chambers pumped up for the fork to perform as intended, they really, really need to spend a bit more time on that part of the documentation.

I decided it was a typo, it should have been 80 I'm guessing.
Agreed.

Just for your reference, i'm 165 loaded and run about 70 psi in my Super. Nice fork - no re-valving required. :thumbsup:

(rubbing crystal ball) I'm guessing you'll appreciate the Super more. :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had an incident today that made me wary of the SPV thing. I was turning, fairly sharply in a parking lot, and just as I was turning, the SPV released, and the fork dove a bit, changing the handling very suddenly, and I almost flipped! I'm not a good match for this fork. Manitou can't get me the manual lockout version either, they let their stock run down.

So, I ordered a Fox 32F80RLC, 2007 model. I'll take the few ounces of weight penalty if this thing is smooth and consistent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.