Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in my new 2006 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA TAS fork. In trying to get it all adjusted out, I can't seem to find full travel. With the lower left TAS knob dialed counterclockwise all the way, and the stanchions showing 120mm between seal and crown, I can only get just under four inches of travel. In fact, regardless of setting (100mm or 120mm) I am still leaving about an inch at the top of the stanchions thats not being used. I am testing travel by pushing down, extremely hard, on the handlebars. All my weight, almost breaking my handlebar.

I am considering taking the right leg apart (top cap off) and draining a little amount of oil out. It is a new fork, and I wanted to see what you guys thought before I tore into something that should be pretty good on the inside. Also, if you do think I need to drain a little oil, should I do both legs, or only one. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long message. Just wanted to have in the details.

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
All forks when bottomed out will have about an inch of visible stanchion. Your fork is getting all it travel and don't drain any oil out of the fork unless you know that there isn't correct oil levels in the fork.

David

·
Registered
729 Posts
Here

Do you have any air in the air assist on the right leg non eta side? If so, bleed the air out and try it again. On mine I get the full travel only if I go off something mayor, normal riding only yields about 110mm which is perfect, you don't want to be using all the travel on a normal mild ride cause then on an abrupt hit you will bottom too easily. As far as the oil yes you can take some out, but I would start by taking all the air out, also test the fork while on the bike and bouncing up and down, just pushing on the handlebar won't feel the same as when you are on the bike a lot more weigh when you are on the bike. About the previous post Marzocchi's use up almost all the stanchion when bottoming out.

somfas said:
I just got in my new 2006 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA TAS fork. In trying to get it all adjusted out, I can't seem to find full travel. With the lower left TAS knob dialed counterclockwise all the way, and the stanchions showing 120mm between seal and crown, I can only get just under four inches of travel. In fact, regardless of setting (100mm or 120mm) I am still leaving about an inch at the top of the stanchions thats not being used. I am testing travel by pushing down, extremely hard, on the handlebars. All my weight, almost breaking my handlebar.

I am considering taking the right leg apart (top cap off) and draining a little amount of oil out. It is a new fork, and I wanted to see what you guys thought before I tore into something that should be pretty good on the inside. Also, if you do think I need to drain a little oil, should I do both legs, or only one. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long message. Just wanted to have in the details.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, yes, my other Marz (Z-150) gets complete travel. I would like to see another 1/2 inch or so out of this one, and keep about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in reserve for the big hits.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
D-Avid said:
All forks when bottomed out will have about an inch of visible stanchion. Your fork is getting all it travel and don't drain any oil out of the fork unless you know that there isn't correct oil levels in the fork.

David
That is only true of Manitous.

To the original poster, it is possible you may have a bit too much oil. It is also possible you're a bit oversprung. How much do you weight?

_MK

·
Spanish rider
311 Posts
Open it and drain some oil. I had to do it in my Mx comp, I was usin only 8 cm of the 10 cm. I drain 10 ml of oil (5 ml in each stanchion) to get 9 - 9.3cm. In your fork you should open ONLY the leg that has the air valve ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.