Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at options for a shock upgrade for my Rift Zone's xfusion O2 (210x50).

I see that the Manitou McLeod is definitely getting some love here.

There is also a lightly used Rock Shox Super Deluxe Select+ for sale locally, with a custom Dirtlabs tune, for $250

Any insights on which way you would go and why, would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think it's been posted by someone that they thought the stock Mcleod was better than a tuned Monarch. A super deluxe is a monarch with a reservoir also LSC and HSC.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just seems hard to believe that Manitou's $300 shock outperforms Fox's $500 - 600 shock; especially one with a custom tune.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
It just seems hard to believe that Manitou's $300 shock outperforms Fox's $500 - 600 shock; especially one with a custom tune.

I only paid $210 for my Mcleods. YMMV but in my experience they out perform both a Fox RP23 that has been PUSH tuned and a Fox DPS Evol that has Avalanche's SSD/HSB mod.

Having said that, your OP mentions a Rock Shox Monarch. I have never ridden that shock so I can't really comment on how the Mcleod compare to it.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
In my mind, Fox shocks are garbage and no matter what you do, they will still be garbage.

For the OP, the one thing you have to see is if the Rock Shox has been tuned, who has it been tuned for? A 150 lb rider or a 300 pound rider? One that wants XC or DH? Being tuned can be a good thing or a bad thing!

The Mcleod is a good simple shock. It does its job without having to think about it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I replaced the Monarch on my Following with a Mcleod. The Monarch tune was too soft for my weight so maxing out the PSI to get proper sag caused a harsh ride. 165 less PSI to get proper sag on Mcleod still has plenty of mid stroke support while still being plush and active. It just works.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my mind, Fox shocks are garbage and no matter what you do, they will still be garbage.

For the OP, the one thing you have to see is if the Rock Shox has been tuned, who has it been tuned for? A 150 lb rider or a 300 pound rider? One that wants XC or DH? Being tuned can be a good thing or a bad thing!

The Mcleod is a good simple shock. It does its job without having to think about it.

Not challenging your conclusion on Fox shocks overall, but how did you come to it? Just from personally riding them? For technical reasons in their design?

I am coming from a place of ignorance on bicycle shocks. I raced superbikes for 6 years, with various Ohlins and Penske forks/shocks, and many valve stack changes; and am a mechanical engineer by profession. So, the technical details are very interesting to me.

It's hard for me to put much faith in an individual person's "feeling" of a suspension component, unless I know for a fact their pace. The race track was full of people throwing 20 times the money at their bikes than I could, and struggling with feel, while I was crushing their lap times on a budget.

I can see a handful of very positive reviews of the McLeod on mtbr, and others that suggest they have some minor QC issues, but haven't found much else in searching the web.

The stock 210x50 shock on my '18 Rift Zone has 15mm ID eyelets, that are 12.6mm wide (bare metal, no bushings). Is this relatively standard at this point? Obviously, if the metal eyelet matches, I can use the OEM bushing/spacer stack. But if need be, I can make custom spacers, source bushings, etc.

The used RS is claimed to be tuned for 160 -180 lb rider. I would be on the lighter side of that. Roughly 155 lb of flesh and bone.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only paid $210 for my Mcleods. YMMV but in my experience they out perform both a Fox RP23 that has been PUSH tuned and a Fox DPS Evol that has Avalanche's SSD/HSB mod.

Having said that, your OP mentions a Rock Shox Monarch. I have never ridden that shock so I can't really comment on how the Mcleod compare to it.
Where can I pick up a McLeod for $210?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Where can I pick up a McLeod for $210?
Wiggle, if you catch them in stock. And the German sites usually have them for less.

Edit- I meant Chain Reaction. It looks like your size will be hard to find.

I purchased a couple of them from the Europe for under $200 in the past. My last one I bought direct from Hayes because I didn't want to wait for it to come back into stock somewhere cheaper.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not challenging your conclusion on Fox shocks overall, but how did you come to it? Just from personally riding them? For technical reasons in their design?
My conclusion is based purely on the "chamois in saddle time" testing method. I have no idea about the technicalities of the internals.

Keep in mind I'm a traditional XC rider hence the YMMV in my post above.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Wiggle, if you catch them in stock. And the German sites usually have them for less.

Edit- I meant Chain Reaction. It looks like your size will be hard to find.

I purchased a couple of them from the Europe for under $200 in the past. My last one I bought direct from Hayes because I didn't want to wait for it to come back into stock somewhere cheaper.
Yes, I got both of mine from Chain Reaction Cycles. I said $210 for both but IIRC I think I may have only paid $188 for one of them.

·
g=9.764m/s2
711 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thanks man, I found that listing as well. Star bike is a legit site? Their price is quite a bit lower than other sites (bigger international shipping though).
That price seems about right compared to what I have paid from other Euro sites, and while I haven't used them, they look as legit as any other I have purchased from. You do have to be patient, the shipping time is often unpredictable, I have had things arrive in a few days and others take a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts