Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if this part is out yet? Looking to get some better rotors than I have right now for my Shimano Saint brakes. Also how much do they cost, haven't seen them anywhere.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I would just buy Hayes

WeylessXPRider said:
Anybody know if this part is out yet? Looking to get some better rotors than I have right now for my Shimano Saint brakes. Also how much do they cost, haven't seen them anywhere.
You can get them for between $25-32 a wheel depending on size. I have Galfer and find them no better than Hayes for twice as much. They all warp and need truing.

Jaybo

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
WeylessXPRider said:
Contact Magura directly... they'll give you pricing if they're available and they will sell them direct to you if so.

I assume your rotors are not Centerlock... because Ventidiscs are not centerlock

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Silly...

WeylessXPRider said:
... that little propeller in the middle... I can't imagine it will do anything. I mean, your wheel doesn't spin fast enough to actually move air from the middle to the rotor.

Now the new Hope ventilated looks sweet. With a rotor that is thick enough to have air channels, I'm not sure you save any weight over just using a bigger rotor.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Any pictures or link to pictures of these crazy vented rotors? I remember seeing the Magura with a red spider but I thought it was just their version of the Hope 2-piece rotors, I would be surprised if it did cool down the rotor...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Here's one...

As for its function... who knows? At least it has an Al carrier which helps cool down. Also, heavy braking occurs at high speed where the air flow is more. Also, it seems like it sends more air close to the caliper where it's needed most, not exactly at the rotor.

Heat transfer is generally more when the flow is laminar and not while turbulent. Low air speeds help for laminar flow as opposed to high air speed.

All in all... could be a gimmick, but the theory behind it seems plausible. Anyone wants to attach a couple thermo sensors and a data logger to his bike?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pimpbot said:
... that little propeller in the middle... I can't imagine it will do anything. I mean, your wheel doesn't spin fast enough to actually move air from the middle to the rotor.

Now the new Hope ventilated looks sweet. With a rotor that is thick enough to have air channels, I'm not sure you save any weight over just using a bigger rotor.
You have a link with pictures for these?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.