Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Cool pics...keep us posted. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. IMO, RM uses such good quality paint and the decals etc are really nice so it'll be tough to match or beat the quality but colour/fashion is always changing so if the new colour looks nice then that's all the matters. What kind of paint are you planning on using and will you order new decals from RM? What about a clearcoat?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure on what kind of paint, I'm going to look around at the local paint shops. Deffinatly going with a matte finish olive green without the clear coat. The decals, I'm going to have them made. No factory decals, except for the Z1's decals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paint & Graphics

I will be getting my paint from Finish Master. My Boss has painted several things using their paint, and he said they are great.

For my graphics or lettering, I will be laser engraving, if the frame fits in the machine... Otherwise I'll be painting them on myself in black.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paint Stripping

OK so here is the progress so far. Almost finished with the paint removal, and I got the new forks color matched. So just need to finish stripping off the little bit of paint that's left, and next week probably prime and first coat potentially second coat.

Attachments

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
Just a sidenote:You don't need to remove all the paint,roughing on the old surface is more than enough...
Otherwise keep on with the good work and don't forget to post pictures!

Later
RaD

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know, but the guy that is helping me paint it said it you wanna do it right, remove all the paint. Me being who I am I'm going all out.
Plus here in WI no trails are open and things are slushy and cold. I'm just waiting for it to stop snowing a little bit so i dont come home from a ride soaking wet and frozen. (Current temp in my area is 8 degrees and snowy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first picture I was using a sander with fine grit sand paper, and after taking nearly 7 hours to do the bottom tube, my fiance's dad came to my rescue with some chemical stripper, but that works great. Very little effort to remove the paint once the stripper does its job. Just got the pain in the butt tiny little areas left, and hopefully that should be done this weekend, and then clean the frame with a chemical cleaner, and then prime and 1st coat potentially next weekend, and hopefully second coat and decals the following weekend, and then finally the matte finish clear coat 3 weeks away.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the font I'm using for the decals:

Ink Tank

Gonna run the Rocky Mountain lettering on the bottom of the bottom tube like the '07 SE Flow. And the Slayer on the top bar right by the seat post. As for graphics, not sure what I was gonna do. Red maple leaf with MADE IN CANADA splitting the leaf. So any suggestions for graphics would be cool, some opinions that would look cool. but try to keep it under 4 colors

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm brand new to this site but had to sign up to respond to these re-paints, re-builds and overhauls. I've done quite a few of them and I'm in the process of doing one right now for a buddy of mine..........2000 Spice.

Your Slayer looks good so far and hats off for picking out a unique paint scheme for a Rocky. If I may add my 2 cents; before you use any more paint stripper on the frame, remove the bottom bracket and the bushings. The chemicals will destroy both of them.

As for the bushings, if your doing that big of an overhaul, spend the extra $50.00 and pick up new ones; do it once and do it right. Your paying alot of attention to deatil (and rightly so) so don't pass on the bushing kit. I just posted a response to another thread with the "how to get the right bushings from Rocky" with the contact number. I think the thread is called Rocky Mountain Bushings.

Anyhow I'll be checking back to see how it comes along. I have a Slayer myself and have considered a re-paint but I cant decide on a paint scheme. The Spice for my friend is going to be that Chrome Green from the 99 Element......check out the thread. I'll post it soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah

Yeah, I got a new headset and bottom bracket, but I will mos def look into the bushings. I am not dunking the frame into the stripper I am taping the bushings and bottom bracket off, and hand painting the stripper on.

Sadly nothing was done this weekend. I just didn't feel like going anywhere in this stupid -15 degree weather we're having in WI.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Primeing

OK so all the paint is off, and I'm starting the priming process. i finally got my quote back for the paint... $215!!! HS project is gonna be a little more expensive than I thought, but the paint is really nice, and they use it on industrial equipment so it'll be nice and durable!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Standstill

Project was at a standstill for a couple of weeks... Now that it's finally getting warmer here, I'm going to finish this up! Finished stripping and got it all primed. So hopefully I'll have a 1st and 2nd coat of paint this weekend. Decals on during the week and then next weekend do a clear coat!!! Then reassembly!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.