Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm soon going to be swapping my Evil Offering out for an Evil Wreckoning for more summer fun in big mountains, but as I don't need the big bike for a lot of my winter riding I'm looking at making it as light as possible/trail bike without too much compromise.

Below is going to be my build spec:

M Evil Wreckoning
Fox DPX2 shock
Lyrik Ultimate @160
Reverb AXS
Ergon SM-Enduro Pro saddle
Sram X01 AXS
Sram Code RSC
Galfer 180 rotors
USE Vyce stem
USE Nail carbon bars
Ergon GFR1 grips
Sixth Element Trail wheelset
Sapim D-Lite Spokes
Hope Pro4 hubs (28 front 32 rear)
Maxxis DHR2 29x2.4 3C MaxxTerra front
Maxxis Dissector 29x2.4 3C MaxxTerra rear

Like I said, certain parts I don't want to compromise on - eg brakes - I could get much lighter there but the hassle of swapping brakes and bleeding isn't worth it. Saddle - tried a few others (a lot of others) and found this to be the most comfortable. Hubs - could go lighter but the weightless vs increase in cost just doesn't seem to make sense - (100g for both if I went to DT Swiss 240)

If anyone has any observations on anywhere I've missed I'd appreciate feedback.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I'd personally ditch the AXS Reverb. It's heavy, expensive, doesn't have a great stack.

Buy either the KS Lev Ci if you want to go all out, or for much less money the OneUP is awesome.

Otherwise, I dig it.

I just put my '21 S5 Evo together and it weighed 28#s with inserts, good tires, but no pedals. Ready to ride with an EXT (not here yet) that's on the way, pedals & tools on board, it's going to be right on top of 30#s. I'm impressed.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
I’d throw a 200mm+ rotor on the front. Minimal weight gain.

The AXS dropper is heavy, as Suns_PSD says. Better options out there. Only benefit is ease of installation.

I’d pop out the bearings in the Hope hubs and throw in some SKF, NTN, NSK or similar quality steel. Every bearing that can be replaced, that’s what I’d go with, really.

Otherwise, looks solid. Not familiar with the rims.

You can save a bit of un-sprung weight with some Euro bolt on thru axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd personally ditch the AXS Reverb. It's heavy, expensive, doesn't have a great stack.
Yep, but I’ve already got it. To be fair although it’s not as light as the Revive I took off, the functionality is absolutely flawless. Really impress with it so far.

EXTs sound interesting. I’ll be looking for some new big forks at some point in the next 3-4 months.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d pop out the bearings in the Hope hubs and throw in some SKF, NTN, NSK or similar quality steel. Every bearing that can be replaced, that’s what I’d go with, really.

Thanks - what’s the benefit gain of switching out the bearings?

The rims are from a company in the UK, although they source them from China they are backed by a lifetime no questions asked guarantee - really really good company to deal with and way cheaper than the other big name alternatives.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Do you need all that tire for winter riding? What are the riding conditions? They are like 900 and 1100gr tires. If you don't need all that tire...you can go with something like a Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic combo.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve got the tyres already weighing in at 886 & 994, couldn’t find anything else that was close to that - Schwalbe claim their 29x2.35 HD weighs 1075...?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I'm using the 2.35 HD with the Addix Soft and its 770gr on my scale. The NN is a few grams heavier.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Although I certainly aim to have lightweight tires, 950-1200 grams with inserts are required ime.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using the 2.35 HD with the Addix Soft and its 770gr on my scale. The NN is a few grams heavier.
Interesting, although looks out of stock almost everywhere in the UK. I’ve got DHR/Dissector combo which are known to work well where I am so we’ll see how they go.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all - certainly looks like I’m going to be as light as I can given the type of bike. Will update with final weights once it’s all built up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those must be the previous generation. The new HD is listed 1075g and the rest of the models in the same ballpark.
I was going to say the same thing. I have never seen a Hans 2.35 29 that light. My addix Hans was 910g and the Nobby Nic addix is 840g. Swapped them for Bon. Xr4 teams that are decently tough for a 790g tire.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
I’d throw a 200mm+ rotor on the front. Minimal weight gain.

The AXS dropper is heavy, as Suns_PSD says. Better options out there. Only benefit is ease of installation.

Yeah, not having at least a 200mm rotor up front on that kind of bike borders on insanity.

You can build up lighter wheels with DT 240 hubs for cheaper and lighter if you get some Nextie/LB wheels. Not by a lot, but you can save some $$$ in the process. Go with a lighter saddle and grips, like SLR saddle. Seatpost as mentioned previously. X01 cranks are the more "enduro" cranksets from their current lineup, as opposed to XX1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts