Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and all the "lightest shoes" threads were at least 2 years old. So what is the current lightest MTB shoe? Any notable mentions for light weight combined with exceptional performance?

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
???

I like the specialized expert carbons. They were lighter than the s-works when I got 'em (the new S-works might be the same now) and a bunch lighter than the Pro's with the burly buckle. I don't have any lift issues or durability issues with the velcro. The soles are a great grippy rubber for the SS hike-a-bikes. It's rotating wieght sort-of...

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
im going to be racing on S-Works road shoes next year. try it out. should be good for racing at least,really light, ill weigh them later.
What is the point of having the lightest shoes that dont fit properly??
The set of Specialized shoes, while comfortable,, were THE worst fitting shoes I have ever had. They are far too square shaped up in the toe box for me.
Did not really notice it until I did a long ride and found my feet flopping about.

Better question is "what will fit my foot best, but this will be entirely personal to you.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
TR said:
What is the point of having the lightest shoes that dont fit properly??
The set of Specialized shoes, while comfortable,, were THE worst fitting shoes I have ever had. They are far too square shaped up in the toe box for me.
Did not really notice it until I did a long ride and found my feet flopping about.

Better question is "what will fit my foot best, but this will be entirely personal to you.
ummm, fit my feet great.....thats why ive got 4 pairs of them.......thanks though.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna try any suggestions to check for fit before buying but I started this thread to get a list of the lightest shoes. Please include weight and size to back up claims.

·
Registered
253 Posts
S-Works MTN BG shoes - 2008 - size 44 - the pair new weighed about 340g each without the cleats. They also fit my feet PERFECTLY!!

Love the new BOA lacing system. Looks crazy - but that string snugs the shoe very nicely to my feet.

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
I seem to remember that this was discussed in the last shoe thread.
would it be possible to glue on aftermarket replacement sole to a road shoe? my road shoes are significantly lighter than my mtb shoes, but obviously the road shoes are devoid of grip. attaching some form ofgrip to the road shoes would make them safer to walk in (carbon soles are lethal off road!) & only an ounce or 2 heavier.. yet still considerably lighter than most mtb shoes... obviously i'm thinking for more xc racing purposes than normal trail use.

if anyone has already tried them please let us know what glue was used & any application techniques.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump. I'm leaning against gluing lugs to a road shoe. I'm looking for an ultralight MTB shoe with some traction. My current shoes are 730 grams for a size 45 (and cost like $50) so new shoes would have to be 600g or under to make me switch.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Lelandjt said:
Bump. I'm leaning against gluing lugs to a road shoe. I'm looking for an ultralight MTB shoe with some traction. My current shoes are 730 grams for a size 45 (and cost like $50) so new shoes would have to be 600g or under to make me switch.
Specialized S-Works MTB Shoe.

Three colors, but I think the only one that is good looking and makes sense for MTB is the black one.

Its a link.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Current S-Works shoes are 670 grams in size 42. My current 661 Experts are 730 grams in size 45. That makes them pretty close in weight. That new S-Works looks like the shoe I've been waiting for (except uglier) and when I see their weight in size 45 I'll probably buy'em.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.