Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a China Frame off of eBay and building my first Brand new bike. I have always been a WW with bikes. I am trying to build a new sub 20 lbs hardtail xc bike.

What is a good drivetrain that is 11s but doesn't break the bank? I am looking at box two 11s drivetrain.

I am looking at light bicycle wheels I have read mixed review on the mtb wheels. Are there any strong opinions about them? I am looking at the 29C06.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,988 Posts
If it was me and I was trying to keep the weight down, I'd get a 1x11 crank, but 1x10 drivetrain system (will work fine). Something like an ultegra 10spd 11-28 or 12-30 cassette can be had pretty cheap ($50) and is light, 105 isn't bad and only $34. 105 rear 10spd derailleur is $47 and 243gm. With a light hardtail, you don't need mega gears IME.

There are no cheap and light 11spd cassettes, they are mega money for the ones that are fairly light. I do 10 spd for my summer commuting drivetrain on my fatbike.

I plan to stock up on 10spd parts at the bike swap next week for this reason.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I can't comment about the drive train but I can chime in the on the light bicycle wheel. I ordered a front RM29C06 Flyweight wheel with a 28H DT Swiss 350 hub, CX ray spokes, and brass nipples. It came out to 637g and even though I have only about 70 miles on it so far, it is a nicely built and stiff wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts